RATINGS: 496   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Leinenkugel’s Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is a robust and velvety addition to Leinenkugel’s seasonal selection. This porter-style beer is aged on real vanilla to reveal rich layers of caramel, coffee and chocolate that is ideal for the season.

ChadPolenz (1817) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - NOV 26, 2014
There are certain brewing techniques I always thought could be used to make any beer taste good (for example: adding a ton of hops, or adding a lot of sweet flavors). Though once in a great while I encounter one that shows that it’s still possible to screw up what should be an idiot-proof recipe. Leinenkugel’s Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is a good example of this. What should be a standard porter with vanilla added, it drinks like an amateurish homebrew. It’s not horrible, but it’s nowhere near as good as it should be.

I poured a 64oz growler into a nonic pint glass. My girlfriend picked this up for $12.99 ($0.20 per ounce).

Appearance: Opaque black hue. Pours to a small, tan, foamy head which dissipates quickly and leaves only a little lacing.

Smell: Quite faint aroma of mineral water and a hint of chocolate.

Taste: There’s a certain quality of faux craft (or “crafty”) beers like Leinenkugel’s that’s noticeable right away. I’m not sure how to describe it other than it’s simply not an authentic taste. Right away, I notice there’s a porter-like composition to this palate, but it’s not as genuine-tasting at it should be. There’s an essence of dark malt, but it’s not especially roasty or toasty. It actually kind of reminds me of a cola gone flat. There’s a consistent sweetness here, but it’s almost as though it’s from aspartame. There is a vanilla taste on the back end, though it’s mild and short-lived. All these complaints aside I have to admit there is nothing particularly off about this brew as far as brewing flaws. There is a noticeable mineral taste, but it’s tolerable.

Drinkability: Leinenkugel’s Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is most definitely not a fizzy yellow beer, yet the mouthfeel feels like that of one, only less carbonated. It’s definitely thin, but not slick; and at least there’s no cloying aftertaste (or any aftertaste for that matter). For a 6% ABV brew, it’s amazing easy to gulp down, but it should have more body and be the kind of beer that’s savored, not chugged.

degbert (1773) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 29, 2013
Bottle. Pours a transparent red-brown with a light, fine-grained cream head -- looks for all the world like root beer. Mild nose is vanilla, coffee, cocoa, smoke; what there is of it, that is. Light and sweet; mostly vanilla and mild coffee, with a touch of baking chocolate. Mouthfeel is very smooth despite the weakness of the body. It’s all right, but it doesn’t stand out from the crowd of mediocrity.

Finhead (1761) - OFallon, Illinois, USA - NOV 1, 2012
Dark brown with some crimson highlights and a tan head. The aroma has slightly roasted vanilla with some mild coffee. It has a medium body with sticky texture and average carbonation. The taste is roasted with coffee flavor and a dry finish.

ordybill (1758) - Douglasville, Georgia, USA - FEB 21, 2015
Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Has a really interesting vanilla bean aroma with malt mixed into the smell. Appearance- Has a great reddish tint with a very small white head. Taste- You can taste the vanilla and malt, I really enjoyed it. Palate- A medium bodied beer with light carbonation. It had an oily texture and didn’t have an aftertaste. Overall- An interesting beer, I liked it. I don’t think I could sit and pound them one after another but it has a really good unique flavor.

mike5326 (1754) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - JAN 16, 2016
Poured from a bottle. Dark brown color, medium off white head. Mild sour malt aroma. Light body with vanilla malt flavor and a medium finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

tnkw01 (1753) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - NOV 23, 2012
Tap. Started out with such potential. Nice brown amber color. Decent head and some lace. Aroma, was wonderful. Oaky vanilla. But the taste was a let down. Blend of favors was really good just weak and watery.

coldbrewky (1730) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - NOV 17, 2012
Beers just fall into place sometimes. This one did for sure. You see dear readers, the other day my Wife decided to continue doing work outside even though she had tweaked her knee earlier in the day. The end result of this was that she blew out her tweaked knee and injured the other. Great, I thought, now I will have to finish the work outside, and abandon all the great basement projects. I was only partially correct. Not only do I have to cater to the crippled Wife, I was sent to the store yesterday with a list. Yes, intrepid readers, me with a list, at the store. As I assembled the listed victuals, I like any self respecting male tripled the order with items seldom seen in my household. As I was searching for the last item on the list..."diet tooth paste" I found myself standing in front of the refrigerated six pack section. This was the only beer that didst look to be total crap so I bought it. Consumed during the microwave shelf installation project last evening. I believe that this may be my longest preamble to a beer rating to date. Bottle: Consumed directly from bottle. A strong sweet nose of sweet dark malt and a hint of vanilla. Body is slick and long lasting. Chocolate malt and milk swirl. Body seems to have two levels of increasing sweetness. Vanilla and a touch of caramel appear about half way thru the "sweet experience". Finish is abrupt. A decent sweet porter that barely stands apart from the rest.

60minuteman (1714) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 23, 2013
Dark brown pour. Coffee and burnt malt smell. Charcoal taste. Very rugged roast character. Ok

BeerdedDave (1703) - Beckley, USA - DEC 30, 2014
black color; sweet vanilla aroma; sweet roasted malt and vanilla flavor on a medium bodied roasted malt base

Beerathon (1683) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 18, 2014
A pretty straightforward porter with vanilla character. A bit thin, but definitely has drinkibility.