overall
Brewed by Liefmans (Duvel-Moortgat)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Oudenaarde, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1557   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Infinitely complex in aroma and flavor with notes of maltiness and tartness throughout. An unsurpassed old brown with the richness and complexity of a vintage wine.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 18, 2008
I was told at the time of ordering that this was a lambic, but the description on this site of it as an oud bruin makes a lot more sense. This beer had sourness in spades, and I do love sourness. It poured a red brown opaqueness with very little head. Aroma was a significant malt character with some fruitiness; I saw another user mention plum and I think that’s appropriate. Flavor was more complex fruitiness with a malt presence and significant amount of sourness. Most sour beers with a fruit character (there are some, like Berliner Weisse that have sour without much fruit) have a cherry character, and this one didn’t, which I thought was unique and tasted good. Mouthfeel was about what I expected for a beer of this style. I thought this was very good, and I’d recommend it. I had it on-tap at the Ginger Man.

grikmok (132) - Little Rock, Arkansas, USA - JAN 17, 2008
Pours to a dark, cloudy brown ale. Aromas of yeast and plum. Fruity and citrusy flavours initially. Sour finish. Very complex beer.

pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JAN 13, 2008
2006 bottle. Pours a very very dark reddish brown. Really thought it looked a god bit like a stout at first glance. Big sweet round nose. Huge massive malt backbone. A smidge of a cherry-like tartness and some slightly earthy downright oaky notes. An almost artifical grape flavor sweetness in the nose, vinous and thick. A hint of vanilla. Thick on the tongue with very subtle carbonation. A bit syrupy? This is one massive sour ale. Not massively sour thought, massively sweet! Big giant malty backbone. Rich and sweet, offset by a fruity tartness and a hint of alcohol. The woody flavors mingle with a berry like tartness to make this work. Alcohol and tartness in the finish along with lingering sweetness. I need to try this with more age on it... I guess I’ll have to pick up a couple of bottles this week before it’s all gone for good!

KimJohansen (10492) - Frederiksberg C, DENMARK - JAN 10, 2008
Brown with tiny head. Aroma is tart with sour cherry, sweet malt and wood. Flavor is sweet and sour with wood, malt, earth and grapefruit. Lovely.

dankman (257) - Somewhere in, Ohio, USA - JAN 9, 2008
UPDATED: APR 29, 2009 I like it, I really like it. Pours a muddy brown with a nice fluffy tan head. Smells sour with a bit of fruity funk, nice but not overwhelming. Nice sour/tart flavor with some wood in it, berries, sweet but not overly. Finishes a little dry and smooth. I will drink it again. I don’t understand why this beer isn’t rated higher.

Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 9, 2008
Wonderful. Brown in color with an absolutely huge tan head and fantastic lacing. I think I saw my name spelled in the lace at one point. Sour and fruity in the nose. Maybe a bit woody. Tastes great. Sour yet sweet at the finish. Some cherry and a bit of cinnamon. Lively carbonation. Very awesome.

FatPhil (16102) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - JAN 8, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2014 375ml bottle (Tuulensuu, Tampere)
(7:4:8:4:15=3.8)
Orangy or reddy brown, small white head. Fresh and woody, maybe dusty or smokey in part. Rich malty taste, some cherry too. Very rich brown malt - not too sour at all - I’d personally prefer a little less sugar and more sour. Mellow and very well balanced - a classic.
Rerate: Bottled 2007, drunk 2008/10 (8:4:8:4:15=3.9)
Sweet woody vanilla and sour aroma. Sour palate too - sourer than normal, nice! Browner and thicker. Slightly phenolic. Decent hops too.
Rerate: Bottled 2007, Drunk 2014/12 (8:4-:7:4-:14=3.7--)
Aroma has gained some lovely winey aged notes. Pours a bit flat, but I expect that from an oud bruin. Sharpish palate. Again, red wine in the taste, soft and woody, wood esters. In some ways better than I remember, wininess in aroma, and lower levels lof sugars in the taste, but it’s not getting the big points this time. Maybe I was a crazy fanboi back in 2008. It was great back then though.

kopher (593) - New York, USA - JAN 7, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2009 pours brown with tons of floaties, rocky beige head. mostly sour aroma, some spicyness and dark fruit as well. yeasty. very full flavored, not as sour as expected, it’s like dark chewy fruit. nice carbonation, a bit thin-bodied though.

minch25 (577) - Medford, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 7, 2008
750ml brought back from the Bier Tempel in Brussels. Wow, I’m just about at a loss of words as to how to describe this... Little in the way of carbonation, pours brownish-red, needs a hard pour to get a decent head. Sweet and sour in a way I can’t describe. Good yet something in the flavor keeps this from being great. Brown sugar? That and sweetener is what the paper wrapping says on this unlabeled bottle. Definitely worth trying once.

Ratman197 (14834) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - JAN 3, 2008
750 ml green bottle poured a clear brown with a lingering tan head. Aromas of cherry, vinous notes, light cocoa and yeast. Palate was light bodied crisp and lightly tart. Flavors of berry, vinousnesslight cocoa notes and a hint of cork with a crisp lightly tart vinous finish.
A very tasty Flemish brown perhaps better than Duchesse.