overall
Brewed by Liefmans (Duvel-Moortgat)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Oudenaarde, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1545   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Infinitely complex in aroma and flavor with notes of maltiness and tartness throughout. An unsurpassed old brown with the richness and complexity of a vintage wine.

ravidesai (978) - Bombay, INDIA - FEB 7, 2002
a near perfect beer. every sip evokes a different taste. great aroma of tart spiced fruit- a bit like green apples with pepper. cloudy brown color with no a very short lived fizzy head. sweet fruity tastes but with a pleasant yeast tart flavor that gives it a lot of bite and makes this a surprisingky refreshing and thirst quenching drink.

runonbeer (2) - USA - OCT 8, 2006 does not count
This is a perfect beer. Deep red color, good head, strong balanced sourness and acidity. Not candyish like other examples. wish it was still availible here in Texas. The first time I had it I was 18 at a restraunt in Brussels. I was kind of looking at the bottle that the couple next to me were drinking. They noticed and offered me some. Must have contributed to my affinity for this particular beer.

rubbishystuff (2537) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 10, 2010
UPDATED: APR 7, 2017 I love this. Complex and perfect balance of sweet and tart and sour. Most pleased. Serving: Bottle

111 (1) - BELGIUM - OCT 1, 2012 does not count
Lekker frisse licht zurige smaak . Met een zeer aangename geur , mooie donkere kleur .

jodesch (2) - - AUG 18, 2016 does not count
This is one of my favourite beers. It has a very rich taste. Wood, apple, cherries. I highly recommend it.

Piepenhenrich (589) - Steinbach, GERMANY - AUG 26, 2017
The well balanced sour flavor, complex aroma and taste, dark color make it my undisputed favorite among Belgian Ales.

dflb (22) - California, USA - AUG 29, 2017
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2017 Imported from Belgium, Goudenband is a sour Ale. As you drink, the smell of black berries and caramel are noted. The body has an oak component to it. A sweetness is felt as you dive into the variants of the beer. The ABV is 8% and the alcohol is nondescript. Black berries are tasted from start to finish. They give us the sweet and tart we experience. Grapes embolden the body and gives the drink a wine-like complexion. Green apple is present and adds an accent to the sour. Caramel encapsulates the fruit and creates a pleasant mouthfeel. The oak is more pronounced as you listen to the caramel. Goudenband became an unexpected surprise. Although I knew I was drinking a Belgian, I did not know this is a sour Ale going into it. It's more tart than sour. The black berries is the main feature and is the reason why the beer comes across tart. Actually, the tart sensation is bearable and complimentary to the caramel. Impeccable and ingloriously drinkable, Goudenband is insanely easy to drink and unique to its own. Cheers. Prost. Drink for the love of beer. For more beer reviews, look up my blog 'Drink For the Love of Beer.'

evilash99 (2) - Malmö, SWEDEN - JAN 31, 2002 does not count
With it's fruity aroma and it's acidic, slightly sweet flavor and light bitter undertones this one makes my top 10 list any time. It's excellent with game and, of course, Carbonade Flamande, but also as an aperitif or just to sip with a good book.

Perceptron (32) - USA - JUN 29, 2004
Spritzy carbonation - the initial glass from the 750 ml bottle pours ruby red and clear. Aroma of plum and raisin. Taste is raisiny malts giving way to a sweet/tart finish. The tart lingers on the tongue but does not overwhelm. An excellent beer that I have not had in years in Dallas but is a welcome friend here in Colorado.