overall
Brewed by Liefmans (Duvel-Moortgat)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Oudenaarde, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1553   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Infinitely complex in aroma and flavor with notes of maltiness and tartness throughout. An unsurpassed old brown with the richness and complexity of a vintage wine.

otakuden's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAR 1, 2012
Appearance: browns with deep garnet highlights along the edges. A tan head fades into a creamy layer with scattered bubbles along the edges. Swirls creamy and thick.
Nose: sour with sweetness along the edges. Soured burgundy wines and old leathered wine sacs. Musk – browned apples and pears with a touch of funk. Plums and grapes with skins and seeds for tart, tannic, sweet, and nutty. Whispers of brown sugar covered dates.
Palate: tartness skirts along the edges then slams the middle of my tongue, never letting go. Leathery and creamy and supple with red wine tannins and whole wheat breads. Grape and plum and more leather. Funk in the breath with horse and orchard musk. Old earth in the back. Brown sugar and dates comingle in the middle. Black breads.
Final Thoughts: at first a bit unassuming, but with each subsequent quaff, layer after layer of flavorful personality unraveled for my eager tastebuds to enjoy. Between the Cuvee Brut and Goudenband…I can’t pick a winner. Instead, I’ll pick both so that depending on my state of mind, I can have one or the other and come out a winner on both counts. Delicious!

DavidSvinth (270) - DENMARK - NOV 12, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2017 Vinøs aroma: fad og syrlige bær. Smagen er moderat syrlig og diskret sød. Meget afmålt, trods den høje alkoholprocent.

elbernays (1679) - Dublin, IRELAND - NOV 2, 2017
Bottle from McHughs. Pours brown with reddish hue. Off white foam head. Aroma is cherries, blackberry, leather, wood, earth. Flavour is a deep sweet cherry, burnt raisin, wood with a tart dry berry finish which is sweet and alcoholic also. A lot going on and tasty.

mrwendel (1) - - OCT 30, 2017 does not count
I like, I like, I like, I like, I like, I like, I like, I like, I like, I like, I like

emincems (117) - TURKEY - OCT 26, 2017
It pours dark brown color with small beige head. Foam doesn't stay long, but there is nice lacing. It smells beautifully. Plum, cherry, wood, tartness and slightly barnyard.Taste is half lambic half quad. Taste of sour cherry and sour plum is balanced with bitterness of high abv and wood. Finish is surprisingly short. Abv is not hidden. Softly astringent. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. I love Belgian sours and this is one of them. Superbly delicious.

fellebag (1552) - Oslo, NORWAY - OCT 21, 2017
Bottle 33cl. Small white lager. Black red color. Aroma is oak, rose wine, leather, berries. Sour taste.

scotty (1223) - SCOTLAND - OCT 20, 2017
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2017 Fairly dark with a thin head. Quite a complex aroma of dark fruit with herbal notes. The palate is clean, quite tart and refreshing, with a good finish. A cracking beer!

dropi6 (600) - POLAND - OCT 12, 2017
Brown, long-lasting foam. Some alcohol, vanilla, wood, dark fruis, cherries, raisin. Sour, dry, tart. Decent.

higgsbison (264) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 20, 2017
I need to try it again. Drank it with Neighbor and didn't read it at the time. I remember I liked it but it was not as good as other sours I have had. Wife hated it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

MBlessing (1578) - Württemberg, GERMANY - SEP 20, 2017
Undurchsichtiges dunkles braun, kräftig malzig herb im Geruch Noten von Rotwein fruchtig holzig karamell, toller Geschmack malzig holzig sauer fruchtig saurer Äpfel leichte Vanille Note etwas Karamell, lecker, bei diesem Bier wird empfohlen es zuhause einzulagern, meins war frisch getrunken da es aber so schön so gut schmeckt werde ich nich eins einlagern und dann updaten

appiantiqua (254) - Lyon, FRANCE - SEP 18, 2017
Dégustée dans un verre Kasteel. Température de début 6 à 7°. Très belle robe brun sombre surmontée d'un fin et peu persistant col de mousse de couleur beige; forte carbonatation. Nez très prometteur et complexe sur des arômes fruités et des notes acides : griottes, fruits rouges dont fraises. Le goût est à la hauteur de nos espérances avec des saveurs végétales combinées à des touches vineuses et une belle confrontation douceur/acidité. En deuxième bouche une amertume fait son apparition et confirme l'originalité et la complexité du breuvage. Le palais fonctionne comme un résumé de la dégustation. Acidité --> douceur --> amertume .... trois sensations successives pour une bière unique! 17,5/20