overall
Brewed by Lion Brewery (Sri Lanka)
Style: Foreign Stout
Biyagama, Sri Lanka

RATINGS: 1908   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77/5   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
The 8.0 per cent abv, bottle conditioned beer is brewed from British, Czech and Danish malts with Styrian hops and an English yeast strain. All the ingredients are transported along precarious roads to the brewery located 3,500 feet above sea level.

DCJack (187) - Alabama, USA - SEP 4, 2006
extremely pleasant and mild stout with a robust presence. Quite enjoyable, not trying to be something extra like so many stouts, just exceptionally excellent, which it is.

starfireming (309) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Dark brown body and thin off-white head. Malt aroma with toffee. Nice mouthfeel, mild flavours of coffee and sweet malts blended.

bager (2120) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - SEP 2, 2006
Bottle. Pours almost black with a rather large head. Roasted malty. A bit sweet with notes of coffe and chocolate. Feels a bit too alcoholic for me and also a bit too high carb for me.

nimbleprop (8928) - SouthWest, Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 26, 2006
Pours like an Indian Ocean Guinness, dark black coloring with a brown head that took a minute to settle. The initial aroma is hoppy, unique and not like American or European hops. Sweet flavor with only a hint of malt and smoke. The heavy alcohol is completely hidden even in the clean after taste.

henrikb (1264) - Aarhus, DENMARK - AUG 26, 2006
Black body, thick creamy head; Medium sized nose with mocca, vanilla, sweet flowers and sweet prunes; Full body with a soft texture, alcohol gives a pleasant warmth; Long finish which is quite powerful, lots of bitterness, could have more aroma.

fordest (2469) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - AUG 25, 2006
12 oz bottle thanks to erway. Very dark pour with a great head. Lots of coffee and chocolate and alcohol in the aromas. The flavor was very intesnce. So much roastiness. Coffee coffee coffee. Alcohol on the finish. Very good.

cheap (6205) - CHINA - AUG 22, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2008 Smells and tastes like cherries or plums soaked in whiskey. This is fusel, flat....too unrefined. Is this whiskey? This beer tastes much better when warm. Could not find the sweetness that others did. Naturally astringent bitterness clinging long after the finish that makes you sip. Moretti La Rossa has almost as much alky but has a much better beer flavor. The label proudly states it’s alky content and you won’t pass a DUI stop after drinking three of these. Not quite as good as I anticipated. I don’t how it made the 96th percentile. I know hops are bitter but there is something else in there except bitter hops. If you love IPA, try this one Everyone else loves this but I guess I’m not a real beer drinker if I don’t like bitter beer. Probably better if you eat something with this. I bought a case on a recommendation, now I’m sorry. The only reason why I rate this as high as 1.5 is because everyone else around here would think I’m nuts if I went lower Will not buy again, gave a 6 pack away.

shigadeyo (3819) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2006
I believe that I had this years ago. At that time, I think it came in a clear bottle with a yellow, silk screened label. It always stood out in my mide as being a really good brew, so I recently picked up a bottle to see how it is these days. Here goes... Opaque - Very, very dark brown - nearly black. Brown head comes and then goes pretty quickly. Smells like chocolate covered raisins. Flavor starts with malty, chocolate flavors, then goes to mocha with a little alcohol bite. Dry, smoky finish. Suprisingly light on the palate - somewhat watery actually and maybe too much carbotation. I am somewhat disappointed with this beer this time around... Update: This one is growing on me as it warms up. The aroma and flavor have gotten better - more complexities are coming out (toffee, chocolate/raisin flavor, roastiness, coffee). The mouthfeel is much better as well - smoother and slightly less carbonation. Less alcohol bite - it seems to be more hidden as the other flavors and maltiness come out more. This is a very tasty beer at a very reasonable price. I’m glad I tried it again. 330 mL bottle; $1.50 from "From the Vine".

OldMrCrow (2446) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 16, 2006
Bottle.

Pours pitch black with a large ashen grey-brown head. This aroma is chocolate and bread dough, pumpernickel, a whisper of dark roasted coffee. The flavor is well balanced, hints of sweet chocolate early, mildly lactic, not so much chewy roast malt, grape and alcohol notes late, relatively dry and chalky finish. The mouthfeel is not so much rich as hot.

All in all, a good beer but unlike so many of the other tasters I don’t see this one as being in the top echelon.

Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 16, 2006
Black with a tan head and some fair lacing. Smokey and roasted malt aromas with hints of bitter chocolate. Flavor is smokey and bitter with some more chocolate tones. Palate is dry and chalky with a bitter finish.