overall
Brewed by Lion Brewery (Sri Lanka)
Style: Foreign Stout
Biyagama, Sri Lanka

RATINGS: 1905   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77/5   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
The 8.0 per cent abv, bottle conditioned beer is brewed from British, Czech and Danish malts with Styrian hops and an English yeast strain. All the ingredients are transported along precarious roads to the brewery located 3,500 feet above sea level.

jstu9 (403) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 15, 2001
I've had this 3 times. The first and third time, I thought this was a thick rich, tasty beer. The 2nd time I thought it was slightly above average.

loucynt (101) - USA - MAY 30, 2001
.................... .................. ........

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 22, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2010 I owe Gusler big for sending me this brew. Nice smooth body, although its kind of light for a stout. Rich espresso/mocha flavors are really highlighted by a bottle-conditioned twang. Is there some vanilla in there? Remarkably drinkable for a stout with such a high alcohol content at 8.0%. Everytime I drink it, I’m impressed all over again. I’m going to say it: this is the best stout I’ve ever had.

ReRate: the more I sample this beer, the better it is. Thankfully it’s available all the time at Total Wines now, so it’s a permanent fixture in my fridge.

This is the best stout in the world, and a Top 5 beer on my list.

VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - APR 24, 2001
Not bad. Not the godly brew it claims to be. Nice roasted cocoa flavors but a slightly sour aftertaste. Travelled far so maybe that does it. Not a fave.

kenk99 (168) - Leonia, New Jersey, USA - APR 9, 2001
I was disappointed after all
the hype! It's certainly good,
but not superior.

PhillyBeer2112 (2903) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - MAR 31, 2001
Outstanding. Chocolatey and bitter. Plenty of roasted barley flavor. Nicely dark with full head. Rich aroma.

bobjbkln (8) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - MAR 16, 2001 does not count
A nice Spring Beer. The taste and palate of a stout without a sweetness or heavyness more appropriate to cold weather.

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - DEC 10, 2000
A first for me a 'Tropical Stout', lighter in body and not so harsch. Great nose, vanilla, chocolate, and a bit of the hops at the finish. Quite good and a 8.0 ABV, mild but pleasing.

Oakes (19010) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 18, 2000
dense, rocky head. Sweet, fruity nose. Complex, malty - vanilla and coffee; creamy palate; light notes of raisins and plums. Exquisite.