overall
RATINGS: 177   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Our Belgian White Ale is modeled after the original Belgian Witbiers brewed in monasteries during the early 14th century. The soft notes of citrus and spice are topped with a light fluffy head that finishes clean and crisp. This all natural ale is our latest seasonal brew, perfect for lounging at lake-side or celebrating at trails end...

supercodes (12) - Maine, USA - APR 18, 2010
In terms of Belgian Whites, Long Trail is kind of a disappointment mainly because usually Long Trail products are of the highest quality and taste. I compared the flavor of this and Shock Top, and the Shock Top was actually better. Long Trail has created a benign take on a brew that you have to perfect in such a vast, popular category of beer.

beerfest5 (1207) - Cloneen, IRELAND - APR 11, 2010
not bad, a little too "candy-ish" for me. you can taste the difference more so in this than any other style of a good and bad brewer. im not saying long trail is a bad brewer, they make some very enjoyable beers, but a style like this sets the bar. compared to the better wittes out there, its like long trail added artificial flavors to make up for the lack of taste. like after they tasted the first batch, it tasted like blue moon, and they went, "crap, we need to add something to this" the flavor is synthetically good. after a few it gets annoying.

thornecb (6152) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - APR 6, 2010
Pours hazy pale gold into a shaker. Bright white head quickly recedes to skim surface. Mild lemon and wheat aromas. Crisp lemon joy from front to back with mild wheat added in the finish.

ChadPolenz (1847) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - MAR 17, 2010
Is it even possible to make a bad Belgian White? I’ve only sampled a few of them and I’ve loved them all. In fact, it actually makes reviewing Long Trail Belgian White a bit of a challenge – what praise can I give this beer that I haven’t already given the other great ones of the style? How do I spend the rest of this review explaining in detail that this is a delicious beer that goes down smooth and is nice and light?

POUR, COLOR AND AROMA

The beer pours extremely smooth to a pale gold complexion. This is an unfiltered wheat beer, so it is quite hazy, although I didn’t see any sediment. It forms a perfectly-proportioned, bright white, foamy head that lingers for a little bit but then completely evaporates without much lacing on the glass. This might sound like a detriment, but lighter beers aren’t known for their head retention and impression.

As soon as I cracked open my first bottle I knew I was in for a good brew. I inhaled deeply and the aroma was sweet and citrusy. It almost reminded me of Fruity Pebbles and for a moment there I was concerned the beer might be too gimmicky like a lot of the fruit-flavored beers that are all the rage these days.

TASTE

When I took my first taste of Long Trail Belgian White I was totally sold because it was an explosion of flavor. The most notable flavor here is lemon, followed by a lightly spiced palate of perhaps orange peel and/or coriander. The beer is definitely citrus-like in taste, so it’s very sweet but not in that sugary way so many seasonal brews seem to be.

The only problem is it’s still a watery beer at the core, like a watered-down version of Hoegaarden. Regardless, I found it to be absolutely delectable and I’m sure this beer would appeal to just about anyone that likes tropical fruit juice.

FINISH

Since this beer does have a bit of a strong citrusy taste, it’s possible it could have a bit of an acidic finish, right? Fortunately, the brewers at Long Trail have crafted a beer that is not only good-tasting, but very easy to drink. In fact it’s almost too easy to drink because it’s so tasty and finishes so clean that I was tempted to down my beer a bottle at a time instead of drinking it in swigs.

BODY

It’s beers like this I’d like to hand out to all the lightweights who can only handle one of the big threes’ "lites". Long Trail Belgian White is so easy to drink and so tasty you’d think the catch might be its weight. Fortunately, this beer is light on its toes at only 4.7% ABV. The brewery’s website doesn’t list the amount of calories, but I’d guess it’s quite low (probably between 130 and 150 per bottle).

FINAL THOUGHTS

Long Trail Belgian White is so good that it’s extremely versatile. It would work well as a party beverage since its good taste, smooth finish and light weight would appeal to just about anyone. It would also accompany a meal quite well. I honestly can’t imagine not liking such a beer because it’s tasty and easy to drink without being gimmicky.

NOTE: watch the video version of this review at:

basspro76 (426) - New York, USA - FEB 19, 2010
A lemony, wheat flavored beer with too much of a spicy flavor. Not a bad try for an American wheat beer, but one I won’t be sampling again.

drowland (9184) - Georgia, USA - JAN 15, 2010
12oz bottle (2009) into a pint glass. Pours a creepy cloudy gold - it’s like unfiltered Bud Light or something, and the crappy white head matches. The aroma is weird champagne must and lemon peels and the flavor is a hint of cream covered in lemon peels and a strange spiciness. It’s like a spiced lemon beer, not a Belgian white. Thin body and high carbonation.

Berley31 (230) - New Brunswick, CANADA - NOV 13, 2009
A: Poured with hardly any head... what is there is down to a mere wisp in no time. Body is slightly hazy (but a little too clear for a wit), and a light yellow color. S: Very fruity aroma, with the orange overwhelming anything else. Almost smells like candy. Not unpleasant, just a little too fruity. T: What the... it tastes like fizzy fruit juice! Orange, lemon and lime, but I’m not noticing any coriander or spices. Way too fruity. M: Light-bodied and fairly thin, with quite fizzy carbonation. D: Probably one of the worst wits I’ve ever had. Like I said, it’s certainly not hard to drink, which is why I gave it a 3 in that department. But if I didn’t know better, I’d swear it was a fizzy Festina Peche, which is not the same class at all. Ugh.

FROTHINGSLOSH (8291) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 26, 2009
Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer poured a hazy pale yellow color with a large white soapy head. The aroma was artificial lemon and cardamom. The flavor was dry, a little tart and spicy with notes of cardamom and coriander. There was a citrus and cardboard undertone. Medium finish. Medium body. Ok.

ROGUE (2216) - Lewes, Delaware, USA - SEP 2, 2009
12oz bottle. Pours a clear golden yellow with a small fizzy head. The smell is citrus and coriander with some wheat malts. Taste is light wheat malts and spices that finish with a strong citrus falvor. Light bodied with pleasant carbonation.

EastCoaster (122) - USA - AUG 24, 2009
Very sweet and citrusy at first but this quickly dries out and leaves a lingering spicy finish, a little sweeter than I would typically enjoy but overall not bad.