overall
RATINGS: 177   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Our Belgian White Ale is modeled after the original Belgian Witbiers brewed in monasteries during the early 14th century. The soft notes of citrus and spice are topped with a light fluffy head that finishes clean and crisp. This all natural ale is our latest seasonal brew, perfect for lounging at lake-side or celebrating at trails end...

anthlovesbeer (67) - north grafton, Massachusetts, USA - APR 30, 2008
Beautiful pour, but what stands out is the aroma. A unique balance of the citrus and spices is evident to the nose right from the start. The flavor is first strong with cirtus, almost a lemon-lime, then is soothes with nice blend of spices. Very nice. Great for the Summer.

ChadPolenz (1847) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - MAR 17, 2010
Is it even possible to make a bad Belgian White? I’ve only sampled a few of them and I’ve loved them all. In fact, it actually makes reviewing Long Trail Belgian White a bit of a challenge – what praise can I give this beer that I haven’t already given the other great ones of the style? How do I spend the rest of this review explaining in detail that this is a delicious beer that goes down smooth and is nice and light?

POUR, COLOR AND AROMA

The beer pours extremely smooth to a pale gold complexion. This is an unfiltered wheat beer, so it is quite hazy, although I didn’t see any sediment. It forms a perfectly-proportioned, bright white, foamy head that lingers for a little bit but then completely evaporates without much lacing on the glass. This might sound like a detriment, but lighter beers aren’t known for their head retention and impression.

As soon as I cracked open my first bottle I knew I was in for a good brew. I inhaled deeply and the aroma was sweet and citrusy. It almost reminded me of Fruity Pebbles and for a moment there I was concerned the beer might be too gimmicky like a lot of the fruit-flavored beers that are all the rage these days.

TASTE

When I took my first taste of Long Trail Belgian White I was totally sold because it was an explosion of flavor. The most notable flavor here is lemon, followed by a lightly spiced palate of perhaps orange peel and/or coriander. The beer is definitely citrus-like in taste, so it’s very sweet but not in that sugary way so many seasonal brews seem to be.

The only problem is it’s still a watery beer at the core, like a watered-down version of Hoegaarden. Regardless, I found it to be absolutely delectable and I’m sure this beer would appeal to just about anyone that likes tropical fruit juice.

FINISH

Since this beer does have a bit of a strong citrusy taste, it’s possible it could have a bit of an acidic finish, right? Fortunately, the brewers at Long Trail have crafted a beer that is not only good-tasting, but very easy to drink. In fact it’s almost too easy to drink because it’s so tasty and finishes so clean that I was tempted to down my beer a bottle at a time instead of drinking it in swigs.

BODY

It’s beers like this I’d like to hand out to all the lightweights who can only handle one of the big threes’ "lites". Long Trail Belgian White is so easy to drink and so tasty you’d think the catch might be its weight. Fortunately, this beer is light on its toes at only 4.7% ABV. The brewery’s website doesn’t list the amount of calories, but I’d guess it’s quite low (probably between 130 and 150 per bottle).

FINAL THOUGHTS

Long Trail Belgian White is so good that it’s extremely versatile. It would work well as a party beverage since its good taste, smooth finish and light weight would appeal to just about anyone. It would also accompany a meal quite well. I honestly can’t imagine not liking such a beer because it’s tasty and easy to drink without being gimmicky.

NOTE: watch the video version of this review at:

PhatB420 (841) - Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA - APR 5, 2011
A beautious mix of hay and sunshine omit the color. Head starts mild and dissapears quickly, leaving a ufo ring around the glass. Taste is cirturs, a mix of orange, grapefruit, and nectarines. Aroma is sweet and sugar like, goes down in a crisp whirl of relaxation. Nice brew, the summer time would be ideal.

frankenkitty (2012) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - JUL 6, 2011
Pours a very cloudy, golden/wheat-colored body under a short but persistent white head. Grainy aroma with potent lemon and wildflowers, mildly touched with acetone. Solid witbear (sp) flavor with a pleasant lemon tartness and sparkles of the aforementioned floral notes. Lively mouthfeel, mid-bodied, satisfying yet refreshing, only a slight tug at the back of the throat to detract. This is surprisingly really good, and by far the best of Long Trail’s "Survival Pack". ~~~~~~~~ Variety 12 pk./12 oz. btls., random bottleshop, Paoli, PA

NormLovesBeer (19) - Hampton, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 13, 2012
Pours a bright Yellow in color, with a big foamy White head. Nice foamy head lasts until about halfway down the glass, but has little to no lacing down inside of glass. Is SOMEWHAT cloudy/hazy in appearance, but nothing like Hoeegardens which is VERY cloudy/hazy. Also, I don’t see ANY spices floating around like a Witbier should have? Label says it’s "Unfiltered", but looks like it’s a filtered Belgian White beer? Has light carbonation that lasts until last sip. Aroma is of Citrus, Orange, and Lemon. Taste is is of Citrus, Orange, and Lemon. It also tastes a little sweet, but with a little spice as well. It is very refreshing on a hot Summers day! And like the label on the bottle states, it is "clean and crisp". Not a bad little beer from this small, independent beer company in Vermont. But with some spices floating around in the glass, and more cloudiness/haziness, I would probably have given them a higher rating!

dlovell2 (2236) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - AUG 16, 2008
Had at the Long Trail Brewery. Cloudy gold color with wihte head. Citrusy aroma. Very bubbly feel in mouth. Citrusy taste bitter hop finishthen the corriander comes through in the aftertaste. Very good beer.

Pwn3d (1962) - Manhattan, New York, USA - APR 5, 2008
12oz bottle. Poured unfiltered with a hazy golden/honey color. Lacing falls quickly, minimal white. Aroma is similar to Sunset Wheats famous fruity pebbles aroma, only less obvious. Coriander, orange peel, very light and pleasant. A rather thick body, in relation to the style, that is vivacious with carbonation. Bread and yeast are noticeable in the mouth. Spices, banana, and orange notes are pleasantly scattered around this rather tart witbier. A bit dry almost reaching a sour finish, but mellows out just before it does. An interesting and excellent take on the style.

shrubber85 (11570) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - AUG 5, 2012
Bottle. Tart lemon juice, coriander, and wheat malt aroma. Cloudy golden yellow with moderate head. Sweet lemon, coriander, and wheat malt flavor. Light body. Very nice.

beastiefan2k (4053) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - APR 13, 2008
Two words, CORIANDER BOMB. Good for me because I love coriander. There are some muted lemon (not so citric) and sweet Belgian notes but the coriander really dominates. Its really not for all but I like it like that. The color of the beer is to my liking as well. Its a completely dark yellow color, thick with no clarity at all. I do not know if I have ever seen a wit so dark and thick. The head was initially large and bubbly but eventually disappeared completely. Got a bit more body to it then most Wits I come across.
On tap @ Downtown Bar & Grill, Weizen glass.

kiefdog (1826) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 14, 2008
On draught at the Lobster Claw (Orleans, MA). Pours a hazy yellow with a thin white head. Some lacing as the head settles. Aroma is faint lemon and citrus, wheat, yeast and some spice. Flavor is light citrus, lemon, grain, some spice. Generally light bodied with a pleasant citrus finish.