overall
RATINGS: 188   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
We've brewed our filtered IPA for 13 years, and never considered offering the REAL (unfiltered) version that is naturally carbonated just as it comes out of our fermenters. Well here it is! We hope you enjoy our REAL IPA.

DohertyBrewing (1) - Lakeville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 6, 2006 does not count
For those who question whether this beer is an IPA, I question their beer knowledge. This beer is loaded with beautiful hop aroma and flavor, with a balanced bitterness. It is clearly a beer that has a large amount of hops in the recipe, just not added so early in the boil that their character gets lost. If you must, think of this beer as a british style IPA, not an american one.

tommy8768 (120) - Litlle Compton, Rhode Island, USA - MAR 8, 2006
Colr is gold-amber, fluffy head that disappears quickly. Tastes more like a hefeweizen than an IPA. Not nearly enough hops. Tastes OK but not much like an IPA. Needs a little more substance. Would probably be a good session beer.

fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 7, 2006
This offering from Long Trail poured hard out of the 12 oz bottle, has a golden dark blonde body with some small yeast floating around and leaves a fluffy off-white head about 1-1/2in thick. The head is sticky frothy with giant bubbles throughout. The nose of this brew is suttle faint grape, grassy essence, followed by a hint of morning dew and flowers after a heavy rain. The taste is average, it starts bitter on the palate then moves to a slight watery sweetness like the juice of a melon and finishes with a lemon rind bitterness. Overall decent brew, I guess on tap from the brewery is far superior so I’ll have to try and update my review. I paired this beer with a grilled sirlion, baked then grilled sweet potatoe and sweet peas....the earthy flavors in the IPA paired nicely with steak and the rustic flavors in the sweet potatoe.

2beerguys (299) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 11, 2006
This IPA pours a light orange color with no particles and an off-white, virtually non-existent head. Clear body. Scent is of light citrus lemon hops. Initial taste is a moderately sweet, light bitter taste that continues through the finish. There is lively carbonation with light body on the palatte.

Probiere (992) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 29, 2006
Almost mild--smooth bodied, toast-grain-caramel malts with a clear floral finish. This is an IPA? Really? Still not bad.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 24, 2006
Pours a cloudy amber with a generous white head. Smells of pine resin, some bitter citrus and some tarte malt. Tastes a bit of oranges, some pine resin, a touch of anise, lemon and some malty tinges. Finish is crisp and resreshing. I hope this one becomes a regular rotation of theirs.

acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 10, 2006
Another bottle thanks OldGrowth (and another rating moved to the correct spot thanks to him)! Pours pretty clear for an unfiltered beer. Smells of, well, beer. A little malt, a little hops. Nothing really distinguishing. Taste is about the same. Not very hoppy, not very bitter. Nothing offensive, just not all that much there. I read ClarkVV’s defense of this beer with respect to the DFH 60-minute. I don’t really like very bitter IPAs (I thought the Two Hearted Ale was almost undrinkable and it shot my palate for the rest of the night), but I also like something interesting from my beers, and this didn’t have it. You can definitely go too far in any dimension, but for my money, I’d like something that goes farther than this.

DYCSoccer17 (3702) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 31, 2005
Bottle. Huge hoppy piney aroma with hemp-like notes as well. A bit of floral hops as well. As the hoppiness subsides, caramelly malts present in the nose. This is a real joy to smell. Mildly hazy light copper color--wish this was darker with a decent frothy light tan head and nice lacing. Disappointing subdued hoppy start. I taste lots of butter and sulfur...almost tastes like the smell of a newly lit match. Lots of caramel malts and not much in the way of hops or bitterness. The aggressive, pungent aroma does not come through in the flavor and I would consider this a let down. Decent, but this had so much promise...

TheBeerGod (6233) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - DEC 30, 2005
Bottle courtesy of OldGrowth (rating moved to the correct beer, Thanks Tom!). Pours a pretty amber with a small white head. Aroma is hoppy and sweet Taste is hoppy and slightly piney. Fruit (melon, orange, light tangerine), pine needles, earthy hops and caramel make up the bulk of the taste. Body is slick with a medium feel. Finishes with a pleasant moderate hoppiness. Light earthy notes, some pine and citrus fruits round it out. It’s well made but nothing extraordinary.

egajdzis (6613) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2005
Poured a clear amber color with a medium sized, off white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of grass, citrus fruits, sweet malts. Taste of the same, sweet malts, with a grassy, and lightly bitter finish. Creamy mouthfeel.