overall
RATINGS: 195   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
We've brewed our filtered IPA for 13 years, and never considered offering the REAL (unfiltered) version that is naturally carbonated just as it comes out of our fermenters. Well here it is! We hope you enjoy our REAL IPA.

adeussing (2) - Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 14, 2010 does not count
Tops in my book. Perfection in a bottle. Easy to drink, flavorful IPA that will keep you coming back to the beer store for more.

DohertyBrewing (1) - Lakeville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 6, 2006 does not count
For those who question whether this beer is an IPA, I question their beer knowledge. This beer is loaded with beautiful hop aroma and flavor, with a balanced bitterness. It is clearly a beer that has a large amount of hops in the recipe, just not added so early in the boil that their character gets lost. If you must, think of this beer as a british style IPA, not an american one.

devitt34 (2) - USA - OCT 27, 2007 does not count
One of more flavorful IPA’s I have had. Love the fact that it is unfiltered. Not extremely hoppy, but it that allows the full flavor to come out of it and not be bl;own away with hops. Overall, very drinkable.

Odyn (266) - New York, USA - MAR 26, 2010
Strong fragrance of citrus and floral with a healthy dose of hops. Looks cloudy with an orange/golden color. Lemony taste with some delightful bitterness that lingers on the palate. Very enjoyable. Yum!

OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - FEB 20, 2007
UPDATED: APR 28, 2009 Sample from 12 oz bottle. Hazy golden colour with a mostly lasting frothy white head. Peachy, perfumed aroma. Fresh peachy hop flavours accompany a light caramel introduction. Medium bodied, juicy. Against the grain with this one, I guess, but it was all peaches and I like peaches.

lemasney (398) - Trenton, New Jersey, USA - APR 24, 2009
Style; glass: IPA, Tulip 12 fl oz x 5.9% ABV = 70.8 / 60 = 1.18 beers * 150 C = 177 calories (est.) Purchased at: The Beer Outlet for $1.25 Aroma: faint lemon citrus, pleasant. Visuals: fair packaging, mindful of Vermont, Body is yellow to deep sunset with an off white head, goes from brilliant to cloudy with pouring, little fine lace. Taste: slight sweetness, a lot of malted barley flavors, hops provide a bitter flavor, but light. Palate: Starts quite crisp, moves to drying, lingering taste is of roasted malts. Overall: Enjoyable, most especially for the price, a bit lemony and summery for the style, but enjoyable. originally posted at: <a href="http://beercritic.wordpress.com/"&

SFLpunk (134) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUN 7, 2009
22oz brown glass pry-top. No date (disappointing for such an involved brewery). Appearance: Beautiful stiff white head of 2 inches sits atop a hazy pale amber autumn brew. Seriously pretty to look at! Nose: Some sweet hop notes, a little biscuit, and a little suggestion of dried herbs. Palate: Not entirely dry, round mouthfeel. Medium-bodied and only moderately bitter. Hops aren’t adding any texture really, but there’s a prickle of alcohol. Fairly clean and neat with flavors of mixed citrus (not sharp or sour, though), biscuit and pale malts, with a moderately dry finish (doesn’t grab all the sugar). Notes: A well constructed IPA. Not extreme in any way, but a good session IPA. Would drink over most other NE IPA’s.

ChadPolenz (1819) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - MAR 17, 2010
We all know there’s been an explosion of microbreweries and craft breweries over the last few decades, but what about the breweries that fall somewhere in between? Some are widely-distributed in regional areas, but don’t have the clout of big-name craft breweries like Dogfish Head, Stone, or Rogue. Long Trail is a good example of a brewery I’d consider smaller than a macro, but not quite a craft brewery. They make craftier beers than the bigger breweries, but their audience is still rather pedestrian.

I guess that’s the best way to describe their Traditional IPA – an India Pale Ale that has the basic framework of high-quality beers of the type, but just can’t hang with the heavy hitters. It’s a tasty, drinkable beer to be sure and I think that’s all it’s meant to be.

POUR, COLOR AND AROMA

This beer pours smoothly to form a perfectly-proportioned, bright white, foamy head which leaves generous lacing on the glass. The body is hazy, cloudy and bright orange like the skin from a tangelo. I didn’t notice any sediment floating in the beer despite the label’s note that this beer is unfiltered (I’m not sure why since this isn’t a wheat beer).

The aroma is a strong whiff of pine – like being in a forest in the winter. There are some mild citrus notes as well, but mostly it’s a malty, sweet scent rather than anything indicating bitterness and/or tart flavor.

TASTE

The reason “hops heads” like me drink IPAs is for their intense hop bitterness, but with Long Trail Traditional IPA the bite never really arrives. Not that this is a bad-tasting beer by any means, no. The initial taste is, much like the nose, full of sticky pine. There is neither crispness nor tartness here, but rather a sour palate with just the slightest bit of a drying finish.

The brewery’s website says this beer is 52 IBUs, which I don’t doubt, but I was wondering where the hop bite was. Perhaps it could be due to the fact this is an unfiltered IPA, which would explain the notable yeast presence. There also seems to be some caramel undertones which add a sweet finish to the sour taste. Overall, the palate is certainly flavorful but isn’t what I look for in a beer of this type.

FINISH

Sometimes IPAs can be difficult beers to drink as the hop presence tends to crackle in the mouth. However, in the case of Long Trail Traditional IPA the body and palate seem a bit flat which in turn create for a surprisingly smooth finish. The mouthfeel here is also surprisingly soft making for a very drinker-friendly brew.

BODY

What confused me about this beer was how heavy it seemed to be for an otherwise run-of-the-mill IPA. At 5.9% ABV this is totally average for a beer of this type, but after each bottle I had (three over the course of one night), I kept feeling full. I hardly noticed the alcohol, but I certainly noticed the density here. Perhaps this was just me and the average person may not notice. Still, I’d say this beer is a bit too heavy for a mid-level IPA.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Long Trail Traditional IPA walks a VERY fine line between recommendable and not recommendable. Although I do have some issues with this brew, overall, they are rather minor as I’ve drank much worse. I also think this would work well as a starter IPA for the average drinker who just wants something tasty to slug down and this definitely fits that role. Sure the [wannabe] connoisseur might be a little underwhelmed, but no one would be completely off-put by this.

NOTE: Watch the video version of this review at:

halfonit (1366) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 23, 2010
On tap at Battleship Brewhouse. Pours a deep golden color. Aroma is full of hops, citrus, and some pine. Flavor is basically the same but with a little more citrus than I expected. Leaves a nice citrusy hops finish. Eerily similar to Southern Tier’s Unearthly.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 24, 2006
Pours a cloudy amber with a generous white head. Smells of pine resin, some bitter citrus and some tarte malt. Tastes a bit of oranges, some pine resin, a touch of anise, lemon and some malty tinges. Finish is crisp and resreshing. I hope this one becomes a regular rotation of theirs.