RATINGS: 963   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Lost Abbey’s once a year Anniversary beer. A new generation of Dark Farmhouse Belgian-Style Beer that had Brettanomyces (a special Belgian brewer’s yeast) added at bottling. (from newsletter) (from bottle: Ale Brewed with Raisins) 10 commandments: 1. The most imaginative beers are our crusade. 2. We believe we are all in this together. 3. We strive for honesty and integrity in our lives like you. 4. Fresh beer is great, aged beer is better. 5.Now that you have found us, help us spread the message. 6. There is good and evil in the world, our beers are good. 7. Passion isn’t something you can buy at the corner store. 8. We believe an inspired life is worth living. 9. Life is about choices. The Lost Abbey is a great choice. 10. We are not perfect but no one is.

Moosington (28) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - OCT 5, 2008
Bottle from Hi-TImes. Pour is very dark auburn/brown, like prune juice or cola. Absolutely ZERO head, nothing, not even any residual on the rim. Nose of rosemary, earthy fruit and cola. Flavor followed the nose, very rich on the outset but dies quickly, again, there was not one bit of carbonation. I’ve seen people mention that there is very little, but this bottle was completely devoid of even a bit of carbonation. Rich and full mouthfeel, but again, it is very fleeting and would benefit from a touch of carbonation. It seems like there might be a problem with this batch, but I’m going to try another bottle to make sure.

JohnnyJ (5562) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 3, 2008
Bottle from Stone Bistro. Pour is a dark reddish brown (kinda like prune juice), with almost zero carbonation. Nice complex flavor though. Molasses, caramel, toffee, apple, raisin, dark fruit, chocolate, and hints of rosemary, pepper, and sour cherries. Full mouthfeel, but flat. Maybe the carbonation in this batch was bad.

paytoplay (146) - , California, USA - OCT 2, 2008
2008 750ml at Stone and at a good price, dissapointed in this brew. No head or carbination which I think it needed, no acidity or balance. Sweetness wasn’t over bearing and it had some complexities to it but not something I’d buy again. Smelled like it might be a sour which also could of helped the brew if it had some sourness to the body but it didn’t. Maybe a flawed bottle? Maybe it needs time in the cellar for the yeasts to react.

BlackForestCO (978) - Aurora, Colorado, USA - SEP 30, 2008
2008 bottle. Poured a deep brown color with a thick light beige head that slowly receded to a layer and left nice lacing. Fruity aroma of plum, grape, light fig, and even a hint of lightly tart cherry, some light caramel, and a light chalkiness. Smooth, lightly sweet entry transitions into a soft fruity hit with hints of plum, red grape, and fig transitioning into a moderate caramel maltiness that finishes lightly dry with some light tart cherry and a hint of yeastiness. Full and smooth on the palate, low carbonation. Nice beer.

thenick (766) - North Bellmore, New York, USA - SEP 29, 2008
Sample @ BBF ’08, Boston. Pours a deep brown with a very slight head. Aroma is vinious with detectable malt and candy sugar as well. Taste is roasted malt with detectable yeast and dark fruit and a nice aftertaste that masks the high alcohol content. Very solid.

RSRIZZO (1986) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - SEP 29, 2008
This is my forth brew from the Patron Saints Club, 2008 bottling. Aroma is sweet with an almost wine like scent. Color is a deep dark solid brown with very low carbonation and no head. I’ve been very disappointed in the carbonation of all the brews I’ve had from Lost Abbey. Taste is rich and sweet. Starting with a full body it goes down flat and heavy. Finish is rich from beginning to end with sweet roasted malt and honey flavors then a pine like taste coming in at the end, must be the rosemary. After taste has a faint bitterness but its not enough to overcome the sweetness. I am very disappointed, its like drinking unfermented wort. This brew is a huge let down, it took them three extra months just to ship it and it still taste like its not done. I’m also disappointed in the other reviews here, unless the 2007’ bottling was much better then this it seems people are just overrating this brew.

vyvvy (6468) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - SEP 28, 2008
Pours dark brown with a crimson hue with a lightly soapy tan head. There is a lot of smooth rich caramel malt, dates, figs, raisins, ice cream malt, candi sugar and sweet cream. Medium / thick smooth body with some light sharp carbonation. Starts with dark malt, dry raisins, anise and some harshness. The finish is a bit on the medicinal side and is a bit tinny. This is decent, but far from what I expected and I couldn’t detect a bit of the brett even though this had been aging over a year.

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 27, 2008
750mL bottle. Opaque blue-brown with a thin film of off white head. Dark alefruit, raisin, caramel, and sharp rosemary in the aroma. Light dusty chocolate, raisin bread flavors. Earthy spiciness manifests with a phenolic twinge. Faint bretty character in the finish, with an understated sweetness meeting lingering spice. Mouthfeel is a slightly heavy medium, lusterous.

mjg74 (3106) - La Mesa, California, USA - SEP 26, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2008 Bottle from Bev4Less. Deep dark ruby in color. No head to speak of. Interesting aroma of dark fruitiness with some spices. Some alcohol is noticeable as well. A hint of sourness in the nose. Sweet and spicy, dark and roasty. Some fruitiness with a little hint of sourness. Rich roasted malts. Low carbonation.It’s almost like two beers in one. Very complex and good.

drfabulous (7941) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 26, 2008
Lots of raisin, plumb, berry. Poured flat. No head. This is what happened to my bottle of last year’s Judgment Day and I was let down. Then this year’s Judgment Day was awesome. I have another bottle of this...so I will wait for a full review until it. For now, dark and fruity, but lacking overall taste I expected.