overall
RATINGS: 768   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 375   ABV: 12.5%
Our first release of the embodiment of good versus evil in a barrel-aged blend. Part bourbon barreled The Serpent’s Stout, and part brandy barreled The Angel’s Share, this is our most anticipated release of the summer.

smith4498 (3646) - Winter Springs, Florida, USA - JUN 15, 2012
Bottle from a trade with cbkschubert. Pours dark brown with small light brown head. Aromas of bourbon, dark fruits, caramel, roasted malts, and oak. Sweet molasses and bourbon flavors with burnt malts, brandy, oak, and some alcohol. Full body with moderate carbonation and a thick, creamy mouthfeel. A nice beer, but I think I prefer the two beers on their own. Thanks Craig.

ICEatALAMO (1350) - Troy, Michigan, USA - JUN 13, 2012
bottle. Pours a very dark brown, but not black. There seems to be little to no carbonation with this beer as it pours with no head at all. The aroma is top notch. Get a lot of raisins, dark cherries, bourbon, and just overall greatness coming from the smell, a lot going on. The taste was interesting, complex, but yet finishes with almost a cough drop bitterness to it. It leaves you wanting more out of the flavor based on the aroma. A good, but not great beer.

michaelinwa (656) - Bothell, Washington, USA - JUN 13, 2012
My rating for this beer is only as high as it is because of the aroma element of the score. Why do I keep buying from this brewer? The first beer I had was Angel’s Share, and it was infected and disgusting. The brewer pretty much told me to suck it when I suggested they consider compensating me in some small way. Ok, on to this beer. I had my eye on this beer for months, but told myself "No, I will not buy such a pricey beer that will certainly NOT be worth the cost. And besides, this brewer knowingly sells infected batches of their very expensive beer and then tells their customers to go....themselves when the beer is spoiled." But....on a whim....as I stood there in the beer section....it called my named......."Oh Miiiiichael......you know you want me". So, like an idiot, thinking only with my palate, I fell for it’s charms. Initially, I thought I had a winner. This things opened with only a slight hiss of carbonation from the bottle. Immediately putting my nose to the bottle I smelled....raisins. Not a bad thing. That usually means interesting things are in store for me. The pour was black...light does not return from this one. Head? There is really no head. Carbonation....only a tingle, really. The aroma....oh the aroma. I love the aroma of this one. Raisins, alcohol, soy, cherries, chocolate....on another day, I probably would get even more. I could sit and smell this for a while and be perfectly happy. Taste.....ok, this was a surprise. I was expecting big things here. A big taste. I was pretty sure I would come down on the side of, "Needs mellowing. Needs time in the cellar". No way. This thing is subtle. If you go into it expecting to be blown away, you will be surprised. The flavors are all there; chocolate, bourbon, dark cherries, alcohol...no doubt more. But they are working together, and they are not going to smack you in the face. You’ll have to take some time to notice them. Ultimately, I think this is a pretty good beer, but it lacks something. It’s simply not enough. I am left wanting something more from this. It is definitely unique. It’s interesting. It has surprises. It is very expensive, but then most barrel aged beers are expensive. For me, the ultimate indicator is, would I buy it again...at $20 a bottle. Probably not. Certainly not in the next year. I initially bought this to consider whether I wanted to age it. After trying it, I must say, it might get less interesting with age. I do not think that it needs mellowing. It’s already mellow. It’s done the aging thing already. It’s "thinner" than I expected, and it does not need to lose mouth-feel. See you in 5 years.

SudsMcDuff (8429) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JUN 9, 2012
No no no. Don’t do that. It’s going to know it’s a trap, Dee. That’s going to irritate the cat, and then it’s going to dig itself down further and we may never get to it. Lets start thinking like a cat here, alright? You know - we need another cat. That’s what we need. Here’s what we’re going to do. I’m going to crack a little hole in your wall - a tiny one, it’ll be cool - and then I’m going to slip a second cat in with a string tied around it. Those two will become codependent, then I’ll rip the second cat out and the first one hopefully, hopefully will follow.

dreadnord (1012) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 8, 2012
Pours thick and dark with a small brown head. Nose is big vanilla, molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, boozy and wood. Taste is sweet and very lightly bitter. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Soft. Heavy body with a long aftertaste. Decadent. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

yngwie (17053) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - MAY 29, 2012
Bottle, corked. Looking quite cute, with it’s dark brown body topped by a dense, finger thick tan head. From there it’s just upwards. The aroma, I don’t know how to describe it, I was completely blown away. Sweetness, molasses, alcohol, something peat-like, lots of dried fruits, some medicine and a touch of spicyness in a wonderful mix, making it quite hard to start tasting. And where’s the alcohol hidden? I can feel it in the mouth, there’s some notes of vanilla in the flavor, revealing its bourbon ageing, but that 12.5% ABV is sure well hidden. Flavorwise, it’s equally as wonderful as the aroma, complex as hell, and damn it’s tasteful. The finish is more on the roasted side than the initial flavor, and lasts for ages. Super smooth, full-bodied and warming, it’s next to a sexual experience just feeling it swirl around, caressing the palate oh so softly and careful. Damn, I’ve never been as close to a 4.7 before. Someone send me another bottle please. 110930

Zymurgeist2 (2246) - Redwood City, California, USA - MAY 27, 2012
Great complex aroma with the booze really apparent. Black with brown highlights and mimimla brown head. Chocolate, caramel, oak, vanilla - massively complex. Chewy and dry mouthfeel. I would have rated lower when straight out of the fridge - so much better as it warmed up and became well rounded and complex.

Natai (124) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 25, 2012
This blend pours a deep, dark, murky brown with a tan diminishing head and good lacing. Deep aroma of roasted malt, caramel, chocolate, coffee and port with hints of cherry. Full body and great flavor that’s not overly alcoholic given this is a blend of two strong barrel-aged ales.

kermis (13478) - The Hague / Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - MAY 23, 2012
Bottle shared at home. Virtually black pour with a small tan head. Aroma is massive bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, caramel. Flavour also dominated by the bourbon, along with the same aspects in aroma, very sweet and beautifully smooth with dark fruit. Noticeable alcohol warmth in the finish. Full bodied with very soft carbonation.

deanso (10136) - Chiang Mai, THAILAND - MAY 23, 2012
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2012 37cl or so courtesy of kermis. Ok off white head. Clear deep ruby pour. Complex aftertaste. Very nice.