overall
RATINGS: 768   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 375   ABV: 12.5%
Our first release of the embodiment of good versus evil in a barrel-aged blend. Part bourbon barreled The Serpent’s Stout, and part brandy barreled The Angel’s Share, this is our most anticipated release of the summer.

reggiedunlop (3724) - The dub c, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 16, 2011
Pours deep brown/black with a thin mocha head. Aroma is very roasty and complex with notes of dark fruit...fig...bourbon, vanilla, chocolate...winey and boozy. Flavor has smooth vanilla and bourbon up front with subtle dark fruit following...spicy hop notes, slightly winey, fig...sweet and roasty. Mouthfeel is creamy...only slightly lively...with a very roasty, warming finish that displays nice bourbon. Awesome.

jkwood04 (5448) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 10, 2011
12.7oz bottle in a snifter. Pours black with a thick, lacy, tan head. Aroma strong of roasted malts, chocolate, a little coffee, bourbon and brandy and the alcohol that comes with these, and some nice hops to balance it out. Flavor an incredible blend of these two beers that are both great on their own - the Serpent’s stout and bourbon really come through in the aftertaste. Thick and smooth. A great beer.

McGrupp612 (144) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2011
Bottle poured into snifter. Black, no head, a few bubbles around the edge of the glass. Aroma is: Bourbon, chocolate, coconut, raisin and a tart wine like twang at the end. Flavor is: chocolate, coconut, bourbon, wood, booze. It finishes with a tart brandy note. This beer would be so much better without the brandy barrel. I haven’t cared much for the double barrel aged beers. Mouthfeel was a big let down, but I knew there was a chance for little to no carbonation. More bubbles would have made this a much better beer too. Dissapointing.

DavoleBomb (1867) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 9, 2011
Poured into a snifter. Thanks to PretzelCity for this. 3.5 A: Black color. One finger of creamy light brown head that has average retention given the ABV and leaves no lacing. 5.0 S: I personally didn’t care much for regular Serpent’s and I’m not a huge fan of any brandy barrel beer, but this combination is exquisite. The bourbon is a lot stronger than the brandy and the resulting intensity from each blends together almost perfectly. Anyway, the bourbon in this is smooth with a low booziness. Flavors include a good bit of leather, toastiness, a slight touch of peat, and subtle fruitiness. The brandy adds a nice vinous component. The barrels add a good bit of vanilla and oak. The underlying stouts lend a surprisingly soft roastiness with plenty of sweet caramel and molasses. A light sugariness with dark fruits and emphasis on plum and raisin. Very, very nice. 4.5 T: I don’t know what this was like fresh, but at this point it’s quite smooth and the booze is well in check. Bourbon and brandy again work very well together. I’ve had a few other bourbon + brandy beers and none of them have worked together at all, let alone as well as they do in this brew. Leathery bourbon with touches of peat and char. Woody, vinous brandy. Again good vanilla and oak. The base beers play second fiddle to the barrel treatments, but this is so good that I don’t care (I usually do). Lots of caramel, molasses, and some brown sugar. Plum, raisin, prune, and tobacco fruitiness. 4.0 M: Medium to perhaps heavier medium body. Carbonation is a bit lower that what is typical for the style, but it works just as well. The problem is that this is missing the rich, velvety creaminess that I come to expect from beers of this nature. Very smooth though. 4.5 D: Best LA beer I’ve had. I didn’t think I’d enjoy this nearly as much as I have, but I’m glad I did. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-13-2011 23:14:51

JoePeesie (925) - Long Lake, Illinois, USA - AUG 30, 2011
The most carbonated beer I’ve had from LA in ages a frothy 2mm head after a vigorous poor. It’s a solid brew. I no longer drop cash on LA myself- I figure if they don’t care enough to fix the carbonation problem I don’t care enough to drop the cash. I am still glad I received this beer as a toss in on a trade. If it was carbonated properly it would be a 5 I’m certain. As delivered it is what it is: a 13 yr old boy- totally flat and loaded with potential. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

NoiZe (2323) - Zeist, NETHERLANDS - AUG 30, 2011
Thnx 2 tarheels86 for this. One word: amazing. Very soft, silky, great. Roast, bourbon, chocolate, caramel and warming alcohol. Mmmmmjammy.

Dunbar72 (136) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - AUG 19, 2011
Bottle, thanx to tkrjukoff. Pours black with a small, light brown head. Deep aroma of oak, vanilla, dryed fruit and alcohol. Flavour of oak, vanilla and licorice. Well balanced.

BelgianBeerGal (4066) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUL 24, 2011
Traded bottle. I really liked this and was happy that it was not overpowering. Pours jet black and my was (thankfully) carbonated. Just a thin brown head but I was happy. This beer was tough to nail down but now that I read the description and honestly seemed liked a stout blended with a barleywine. I really liked it. Plus the 12+ ABV was well hidden. Very nice.

joeneugs (6371) - Livermore, California, USA - JUL 24, 2011
It’s definitely a shape shifter, this one. I didn’t really know what I was tasting at the time, but I certainly picked up on the combination of barrel aged stout and barleywine. I poured dark brown with a tiny bit of light setting off some ruby hues at the edges. Almost no foam. The aroma is caramel, heavy bourbon, raisins, and plum. The flavor is massive with lots of bourbon, raisins, and underlying notes of roasted malt. It changes with every sip sometimes giving off a more chocolaty impression. Very alcoholic and a challenge to drink very much of, but a beer that will leave an impression for sure.

kappldav123 (6100) - GERMANY - JUL 23, 2011
Bottle looks very, very good. Beer in the glass black as the night, almost no head. Extrem roasty malty aroma. Starts very strong with intense notes of chocolate, burning alcoholic. Heavy malty finish, gets drier and drier, also bitter coffee notes. Warming finish, intense maltiness. Impressive beer, but it could be more balanced.