overall
RATINGS: 643   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Sour Brown with raspberries.

oh6gdx (26487) - Vasa, FINLAND - JUN 27, 2011
[email protected] Deep reddish coppery colour, quite murku, with a small quickly vanishing head. Aroma is tart and sourish wooden, fruity and berryish. Flavour is quite similar along with some spicyness. A rather pleasantly balanced sour beer. Also has some slight sweet berries along with the tartness.

SamGamgee (2452) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - JUN 26, 2011
375ml bottle. Modest gusher upon opening. Ugly, murky beer. Big raspberry aroma and flavor with the typical LA strong sourness. Highly carbonated. I’d like to see this a lot cleaner and more properly conditioned. It’s just a mess of a beer that manages to still taste pretty damn good.

yngwie (17186) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - JUN 25, 2011
Bottle, at Haandverkerstuene. It pours an unclear, reddish brown body topped by a fingerthick off-white head. Lots of raspberries on the nose, lemony sourness, barnyard and even more raspberries. It’s full-bodied, tart, nicely carbonated and smooth on the palate, with flavors of raspberries dominating. Lemon and barnyard chimes in, and it finishes tart and raspberry flavored. Although all the raspberry focus it feels balanced, and it’s sure a wonderful beer, with a lasting finish. Lovely. 110211

rayl101 (163) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2011
Bottle, ’11 vintage. Pours clear red/brown in my snifter with ruby highlights, and a light pink head that fades quickly. Aroma is acidic sour, with a very pronounced raspberry note. Body is light, and crisp with high carbonation. Flavor is sharp acidic sour with a lot of raspberry. Crisp finish.

ephemeral8 (69) - denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 12, 2011
tap at avery sour beer fest. a cloudy, rich, deep orangey pink.
nose: heavenly. like a box of slightly moldy raspberries (in a good way). leafy, stemmy, seedy, hints of barnyardy funk--just really beautifully evocative of a damp crate of fruit gone slightly bad.
mouth: great texture, mouthfilling, near perfect carbonation. the mouth follows through nicely on the promises of the nose, adding in crushed bitter pips, balanced caramel undertones, and a base of gorgeous funk. dryness and tannins of the finish end it on a nice lingering dusty note.
i’d had this last year at the festival and really enjoyed it, but this year it was showing even better. my favorite so far from lost abbey, and definitely a mental bookmark for a new world sour.

yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - JUN 11, 2011
Very lively, not quite a gusher but bubbled a bit. Aroma right away is pretty funky. Lots of tannins, some red wine, wood, cherry, raspberry and funk. Flavor is really robust, quite complex, lots of grape skin, pretty dry and funky. Lots of crazy sourness and finishes a bit acidic and astringent. Tart, citrus and sour raspberry linger, very nice sour.

cubs (10693) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUN 11, 2011
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2012 Bottle @ home, courtesy of nightrider. Re-rate. Loved this last time around and am really looking forward to trying it again. Pours a deep maroon appearance with a big, fluffy pinkish cream head. Rich deep red fruity, moderate vinegar, somewhat cheesy, fairly acetic, moderate raspberry aroma. Interesting to have an oud bruin mixed with raspberries. Well carbonated, fairly bubbly mouth feel. Sweet, tart raspberry, tangy cheesy, moderate vinegar/acetic acid, fairly tart berry flavor. Acetic, raspberry finish. Really a pleasure to drink.

wyzzywyz22 (2108) - Wirral, Merseyside, ENGLAND - JUN 11, 2011
Bottle from De Bierkoning, Amsterdam. Poured a slightly murky red colour with a decent lingering pink tinged white head. Bags of fresh tart raspberries in the nose, mingled with da funk. Terrific stuff. Quite lively carbonation. Superb tart fruit in the flavour alongside some woody notes. Really sour. Dried out towards the finish. Definitely one of the finest raspberry beers I’ve tasted. Top notch.

anders37 (26878) - Malmö, SWEDEN - JUN 5, 2011
Bottle. Rating #7200. Pours a slightly hazy reddish brown color with a small off-white head. Has a fruity tart sour weak vinegar aroma with hints of raspberry. Fruity sour tart vinegar raspberry flavor. Has a fruity sour tart raspberry finish.

SDalkoholic (2408) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JUN 3, 2011
Bottle from South Bay Drugs: Special thanks to Joey for saving me a bottle. First off, I have a question that needs to be answered. What is the deal with small bottles from Lost Abbey that explode the beer all over once it’s uncorked. My Angel’s Share did the same thing which made me stop buying that particular beer because I knew half of it would end up on the floor. I have to admit this bottle was the worse I have ever experienced in my life. It was as if I dropped Mentos into a 2 Liter of Coca-Cola. I’m talking violent volcanic explosion all over my sink and floor while only half of the bottle am I able to salvage into my pint glass. Now, let me speak about the beer even though I am really ticked off that I can only enjoy a little less than half of my bottle as I unwillingly shared the rest of it with my sink and floor. Liquid is a glowing pinkish read hue with chunks of sediment seen scattered in the frothy layer of head and throughout the beer to the point it is opaque with junk. The aroma is relieving and delightful and has started to sooth my anger and frustration towards Lost Abbey brewing by the sweet scents of raspberries that smell red, juicy and plump. There is also a scent of sour Belgian yeast that compliments the fruit quite nicely. The flavor is tart with ripened cranberry or raspberry and also has a sour kick of green apple as well. It almost taste as if juice concentrate was added to the beer, but I’ll take it as it is no matter how it was brewed. Also, minor background of luscious red wine and freshly picked unripe grape. This is a substantial tasting ale that confuses the taste buds in a pleasant experience, but I am still upset of how much of this beer spilled over immediately after I popped the cork. This will cost points from being awarded to the overall score.