overall
RATINGS: 923   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent. Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart. The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 28, 2009
Bottle from Joey at South Bay. This is insanely drinkable. My second thought on drinking this was Why would they need to double the cherry? Nice cherry, yeast and malt nose. Flavor is tart cherry juice and sour Belgian ale. Really great balance, really great flavor marriage, drinkable like a 44 ozer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
markwise (5305) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 28, 2009
Thanks zuluflboy for the share. Pours a heavy red-brown with a minuscule off-white head. Nose is tart cherries, vinegar, earth, spices, and some depth in the sourness. Flavor is watery vinegar that attacks, then tart cherry goes down and the acidic, musty vinegar finishes clean away. Medium mouthfeel, and not what I expected. Enjoyable, but not what I smelled.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
carruthm (1401) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 28, 2009
Pours with a nice brown ale base, not much head. Aroma is a great cherry with a touch of sour. Taste matches, very prominent red fruits.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drfabulous (7092) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - FEB 27, 2009
Cherry aroma. Lots of sour in there. First taste is tart, apple, cherry. Very sour. Not funky at all. Lots of wine in there. Really nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
GodOfThunder (1249) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 27, 2009
Special thanks to TheCheeseman for the taste. This was exceptional. 2009 bottle. The sour cherries come through strong in the aroma and the flavor is like biting into a sour cheery Warhead candy. The sourness is over the top with just enough sweetness. Not a ton of funk, just a good sour. Lots of cherries and a little vinegar pinch in the back. Amazing beer. Thanks TheCheeseman, I loved this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tayner (1) - Arizona, USA - FEB 25, 2009 does not count
This one poured a brown/red hue with a small tan head. I poured it too cold or the head would likely have been bigger. The flavor is almost sweet and sour in that I could taste the sweet cherry along with the very tart cherry, and it seems the 2009 version is a little heavier on the brett as I can taste some cheezy funk in the background. it is very subtle, but more well noted this year than last. This one might actually get funkier as it ages this year. There is also a nice note of wood that compliments this beer. I am glad I have more of these to drink over time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CapFlu (5103) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 25, 2009
(12.7oz bottle) Courtesy of IrishBoy and Enniskillen, and consumed on the day of the birth of my daughter Brynna. Red Poppie Ale for our Red Letter Day - thanks to Richard and Chris for this opportunity. Pours a frothy, cream-coloured head atop of a deep reddish-brown body. Nose is amazing. I cannot believe that I didnt take to Flemish Sours upon the first time Id tried it. Nose of sour raspberry pits, very seedy. Incredibly tart, nice transfer from sour to citrus. I got a grape sized chunk of cherry skin. Lovely stuff. Tomme is an amazing brewer - providing a beautiful beer on a beautiful day in my life. 8/5/8/4/17

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BelgianBeerGal (3932) - Panama City, Florida, USA - FEB 22, 2009
2009 Bottle at Lost Abbey dinner. Pours a light brown colour with a small off-white head. Aroma reminded me of an earthy bottle of white German wine opened 30 years later. Flavour started as a sophisticated brown ale with wood notes and finished with a slightly sour cherry ending. Light finish. Very easy drinking sour ale that includes some of the fruit notes from the cherries and not just the sour.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sonicdescent (384) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 20, 2009
An odd one, thanks to toncatcher for throwing this one in as an extra by the way. My first sip was almost medicinal tasting but the more I drank the more I liked it. Sour cherry and funk!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - FEB 9, 2009
2008 Overall this is just delicous. The color and body leave some nice lac eon the glass and the aroma permeates like crazy. Super sour cherry and some wood shine. Taste is sweet and tart cherry with hints of dark coco and liquor. A glass between two is perfect although I could drink one by myself. So good.