overall
RATINGS: 945   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent. Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart. The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Sonicdescent (384) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 20, 2009
An odd one, thanks to toncatcher for throwing this one in as an extra by the way. My first sip was almost medicinal tasting but the more I drank the more I liked it. Sour cherry and funk!

yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - FEB 9, 2009
2008 Overall this is just delicous. The color and body leave some nice lac eon the glass and the aroma permeates like crazy. Super sour cherry and some wood shine. Taste is sweet and tart cherry with hints of dark coco and liquor. A glass between two is perfect although I could drink one by myself. So good.

LtDan (1806) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - FEB 8, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2009 Appearance: A dark maroon/brown with a pin stripe of white surrounding the top of the glass. I notice some swirls of white gathering in the top center of the beer. Leaves light spotty lace that eventually disappears. Aroma: Sour cherries, a small amount of wood and a bit of Belgian yeast. Also red wine notes upon further review, but nearly as strong as say Veritas or Cuvee de Tomme. Taste: Sour cherries, oak barrel, a small taste of funky yeast, a little bit of cranberry-like bitterness and a subtle hint of spice in the finish. Mouthfeel: Juicy and puckering. Overall: A great adventure into the barrel itself. I really am able to pick out more flavors in this, than in Cuvee de Tomme. I know they are two completely different beers, but I think of them as cousins perhaps. The level of wood presence is perfect, the sour cherries make for an enjoyable sip after sip drinking session. I would imagine this would go with a meal or a chocolate based dessert.

danielcurtis81 (1519) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 7, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2010 #400. Bottle, 2009 (drank 02/07/09). Pours a deep red strawberry juice color. Aromatic sour cherry, caramel, brown sugar. Wonderful sour cherry flavors, tart is just the right level. Nice oak undertones Mouth is smooth and easy to drink with a long sour finish that nicely makes your tongue roll. This might be trouble, sours are growing on me!

mspindler (489) - Alta Loma, California, USA - FEB 3, 2009
375 ml bottle 2009 vintage. Poured straight down the middle of the glass and still a very thin head. A murky dark reddish orange color. Aroma is pleasantly tangy and vinegary, nice funky barrel and a bit spicy, a hint of brown sugar sweetness. Apple-cinnamon comes through as it warms. Plenty of cherries and oak in the flavor. Sourness is nice, not overwhelming at all. Very, very drinkable. Medium bodied and quite twangy mouthfeel. Finish is a nice lingering musty wood dryness. Super tasty. I’m afraid my other three bottles won’t last long.

hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale über alles, Arizona, USA - FEB 2, 2009
idk where this bottle came from but it’s been in my fridge for a year now (2008). muchas gracias to the soul who left it behind...

it’s been sitting so long that the cork bomb was no issue... dark orange brown color with no head and lots of clumpy yeast.

smells a bit like pickling spice/pickles or that strange funkiness that a lot of red burgundies get before they get a chance to open up... cinnamon, wet cement, fruity/cherry tart though not quite sour and malty sugars yet it’s very dry.

it tastes very ’green’ from young barrels and quite tannic. though i’m not sure whether the tannins dominate from the wood or cherry skins (it really doesn’t matter)... also, faintly malty and oaky with a cinnamon-y brett-like stink on the finish which lingers on. medium body lacks a bit of richness. the mouth feel it is prickly and dry as it cleans the palate entirely.

not a whole bunch going on... seems as if something is missing. though, it is in no way a bad beer! 7/4/7/4/15/3.7

kegbear (436) - Orange, California, USA - FEB 1, 2009
Bottle 2009 vintage. Sour cherries and apples. Slight funk and sourness are well balanced with the background caramel sweetness. Finished dry.

JohnnyJ (5562) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 1, 2009
UPDATED: APR 30, 2009 On tap an Lost Abbey. Pours a nice hazy red, with a white/reddish head. Lots of sour cherries, sweet malt, bread, tart apples, and sour funkiness. Notes of oak and citrus. I even get some buttery taste. Complex and very drinkable. Mmm good. Not as good as the double cherry release by a long shot though.
Earlier Rating: 1/24/2009 Total Score: 4.7
This rating is for double cherry red poppy. I loved this sour, one of my favorites! I have not tried the regular red poppy, but this beer was amazing. Deep cherry red color with a beautiful tan head. Tart cherry pie, oak, earthy sour, Belgian yeast and hints of spice and funk. Extremely drinkable, I could drink lots of this. It makes my mouth water. I’m glad I was able to try this!

Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - FEB 1, 2009
375ml bottle. Light red/orangish pour, no head whatsoever. Sour cherry aroma. Flavor is more tart than sour, very easy to drink and very tasty.

Lagunitasfan (1323) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 31, 2009
On tap at the brewery for the release of this. Hazy brown with the smallest of head. Smell is sweet. Taste is complex. Bitterness mixed with sour. Should have had this one before the sour Phunky Duck. I think my taste buds were still reeling from that sour, and I couldn’t really appreciate the nuances of this. Still, really really good.