overall
RATINGS: 938   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent. Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart. The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JohnnyJ (5539) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 1, 2009
UPDATED: APR 30, 2009 On tap an Lost Abbey. Pours a nice hazy red, with a white/reddish head. Lots of sour cherries, sweet malt, bread, tart apples, and sour funkiness. Notes of oak and citrus. I even get some buttery taste. Complex and very drinkable. Mmm good. Not as good as the double cherry release by a long shot though.
Earlier Rating: 1/24/2009 Total Score: 4.7
This rating is for double cherry red poppy. I loved this sour, one of my favorites! I have not tried the regular red poppy, but this beer was amazing. Deep cherry red color with a beautiful tan head. Tart cherry pie, oak, earthy sour, Belgian yeast and hints of spice and funk. Extremely drinkable, I could drink lots of this. It makes my mouth water. Im glad I was able to try this!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - FEB 1, 2009
375ml bottle. Light red/orangish pour, no head whatsoever. Sour cherry aroma. Flavor is more tart than sour, very easy to drink and very tasty.

Lagunitasfan (1323) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 31, 2009
On tap at the brewery for the release of this. Hazy brown with the smallest of head. Smell is sweet. Taste is complex. Bitterness mixed with sour. Should have had this one before the sour Phunky Duck. I think my taste buds were still reeling from that sour, and I couldnt really appreciate the nuances of this. Still, really really good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FrancoisMtl (63) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 28, 2009
Bottle from Fordest. Pours dirty brown with small tan head. Aroma of malt, oak and cherries. Sour cherries are more expressive in the flavors with the oak and some maltiness which I feel gives an unusual sweetness to this style and may play on the sourness which is not as high as expected. Its a good beer but something is missing to make it stand out. Thanks Sean!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
garthicus (2920) - Dublin, IRELAND - JAN 23, 2009
Thanks to HogTownHarry for sharing this gem with Blankboy and I (and a cheeky thanks to Irishboy for trading it with Harry!) Appearance: Murky/brown orange morange kind of like fresh pressed apple juice. Aroma: Triggered my saliva glands, sour apple, cherries and fresh citrus. Flavour: Beautiful, oak, champagne, wonderful malt, complex flavours coursing through it. Sour. Delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kyzr (1458) - Montana, USA - JAN 22, 2009
Bottle thanks to Goldtwins. Pours rusty brown with small head. Sour cherry and must on the nose. Really sour at first, then cherry with wood. A lot of acid in this one, but still the cherry stays tough.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wetherel (1875) - Cupertino, California, USA - JAN 19, 2009
Wow. wow. wow. I really, really like this beer. I like Red Poppy, but I love double Red Poppy. Is it because of recipe tweaks between 2008 and 2009? Is it that the additional cherry juice lends additional sweetness? A wonderful acetic tartness, which reminds me of balsamic vinegar. Lots of cherry notes. Insanely drinkable. With unlimited funds and time, I would have drank as much as I could, but only had one glass. One wonderful glass.
Earlier Rating: 8/26/2007 Total Score: 4.5
Tasted at Lost Abbey 1st Annual Barrel Tasting on 8/25/07. Used to be named Le Woody Brune at Solano Beach Pizza Port. 4 barrels/100 cases were made, but wont be released until Spring? Made in old 1997 red wine barrels with subdued oak characteristics. 4oz sample from barrel was flat and at room temperature: need to re-rate when bottles are released in Spring. I expect it to be better and more sour then. Made with Dawn Patrol Dark as a base, and I think I heard it was blended with a barrel aged Amigo Lager. Deep red color approaching black. No head, which I would expect to reduce aroma, but still had a wonderful sour cherry aroma I could smell all day. Made with Brettanomyces yeast, which is a super attenuator, so I expected the beer to be dry, but there is still a nice hint of sweetness. Mild pleasant sourness, that I think even sour haters would like. Normally beers are better with cheese, but I like this beer by itself, because cheese over powers the wonderful flavors. Extremely pleasant to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
blklab2007 (2120) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 17, 2009
UPDATED: APR 11, 2014 bottle from sqnfan through trade. poured a red brown when held to the light with little carbonation unless swirled in the glass and a little ring of white head on the glass. aroma comes through with sour cherry, light wood, white grape, and mustiness. i am surprised the nose is as mild as it is even after warming in the glass. flavor has an acidic sour cherry, grape skins, light brown malt, and a faint touch of spice. finish is dry and has some sour acidic bite. this one is very good and leaves my mouth watering. i also dig the bottles and the fact the cork can be snugly replaced while the bottle is enjoyed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
alexanderj (3605) - Branson, Missouri, USA - JAN 17, 2009
On tap at OBriiens. Color was a dark reddish brown with a small tan head. Aroma of tart cherries, wood, earth, slight earthy sounress with a touch of yeast. Flavor was not extremely sour and managed to keep a nice balance with the fruit. Alot of cherry flavor, but I do not remember it being that much stronger than original. Very nice sour beer.
Earlier Rating: 6/14/2008 Total Score: 3.3
Bottle; poured a muddy, reddish brown with not much head. Some yeast floaties. Aroma of tart cherries and funky earth. Flavor of sour cherries, wood and earth. Didnt find this as sour as many others, but I didnt find the flavor all that great. Maybe I still dont get this style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
AgentSteve (1647) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - JAN 17, 2009
Pours attractive black cherry color with no head. The nose is full with, of course, cherries, and oak. The flavor is just as full with tart yet sweet cherries and oak. Lively acidic mouthfeel and a finish that lasts about 20 seconds.
Earlier Rating: 5/15/2008 Total Score: 4.1
Bottle courtesy Aspidites. Caramel brown pour complex sour nose with the cherry and oak. Seemlessly flowing from nose to flavor, the tartness of the cherries and the dryness of the oak blend together wonderfully with a hint of nuttiness.