overall
RATINGS: 995   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 375   ABV: 12.5%
Current bottles have a black front label and may also have a visible "Bourbon" screen printed on the neck.

Same base beer as The Angel’s Share, but aged in Heaven Hill Wheat Whiskey barrels instead of the Brandy barrels for the standard release.

Bottled beginning in 2008 in 375mL bottles.

mmaheu (2) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 7, 2007 does not count
Tasted at Port’s 1 year. All i can say is wow this was one good beer. You could smell and taste the wonderful bourbon, vanilla, and oak. My favorite beer of the day by far.

Bartzilla (624) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 7, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2008 Read below for my initial review. I braved the line. I stood around until my back and feet were giving out on me and, finally, I set foot on the carpet so the beer princess could sell me an ale of the same stuff I stood in line for all morning. She brought me back a delicious glass of this ale. It hit on all notes and was as advertised, but I did make a mental note... this was not nearly as good as Angel’s Share 001. But I enjoyed my glass of beer, bought a solid case and called it a day. Now I’ve finally been able to crack a few of these grossly overpriced bottle and 3 out of 3 shot foam. I deal with it. It doesn’t taste as good as the stuff I had on tap that day. I’m not even sure if it’s the same beer. The pour is an event. You have to somehow defeat the overcarbonation. Slow. The taste, well, ho-hum. Still not as good as the first batch. Definite barrel flavor, but I’ll take the regular big bottle offering over this stuff. It sits at 100 due to it’s rarity and that’s all. I’ll take an Oak Aged Yeti over this any day.

WOW! As if The Angels Share could get any better! Jumpin christ on pixie dust is this stuff ever delicious. Flavor profile off the charts. You taste it all. The wood, the whiskey, the barley wine. A delicious slap in the face.

padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - MAY 7, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2007 Tasted 2 samples of this at the brewery, first anniversary party on Cinco de Mayo. Wonderful smells of Bourbon, vanilla bean, and sweet cherries. Tastes of Bourbon, vanilla, raisins, very little alcohol in the finish. Freakin awesome!

hapjydeuce (1004) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAY 7, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2008 One of the best beers I have ever tried. Had a few sampler glasses at the Lost Abbey Anniversary, I couldn’t get enough of this stuff. On CASK! Heavy bourbon nose off the head, with lots of thick roasty malts and raisins. Very dark with a beautiful creamy beige head that lasted throughout each glass. The appearance almost reminded me of a tap Older Viscosity. Each sip only got better as it warmed. Flavor is incredibly complex, loaded with caramel, vanilla, raisin, figs, black cherries with a very well balanced finish of hops and warming bourbon & alcohol. No one flavor dominated over another, each component and its concentration within the brew was put together very well. Velvety-smooth and chewy mouth feel, like warm bread towards the end with the presence of oak. Absolutely fantastic! Everything was perfect, the balance in this creation was highly impressive. Just shy of a 5 because I would really like to have experienced it from a proper serving glass, not a plastic taster. Now THIS IS BEER ! ! !

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 6, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2008 Enjoyed 2 beautifal tasters of this at the Anniversary Fest. The bourbon came through nicely and it really complements the flavors of the angel’s share. Fantastic brew.

toncatcher (228) - Santee - SAN DIEGO, California, USA - MAY 6, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 30, 2008 Enjoyed this one at the 1st Anniversary at the brewery. My favorite of the day. Pours a clear dark brown color with a medium head. Tastes of carmel and vanilla with raisins and figs and finishes with sweet malt.

jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 6, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2010 Cinco de Mayo - Port Brewing - cask. One of the best beers ive ever had. Aroma is wonderful - vanilla, bourbon, oak, wood, rich malts, raisin. Unbelievable mouthfeel - very lush, creamy, silky smooth - sheer liquid heaven. . tasted very similar to its aroma, no complaints there whatsoever. Very few beers ive ever had have even been in the same league. Tomme, when will I get to drink this again??? My palate is forever ruined.....

Bottle version is not quite as good as cask sample (somewhere in mid to low 4’s) - but I have to leave this as is...just too extraordinary!

awaisanen (1310) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 6, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2008 On cask at the brewery. Tried several samples at the first anniversary party. I’m so glad I thought to bring a real tasting glass in order to gain a full appreciation of this one; it was certainly worth the extra attention. Pours a dark, semi-opaque red cedar bark brown color with a frothy layer of creamy tan head. Aroma is dripping with dark fruits - prunes, raisins, and figs, and is softened and sweetened by a silky wave of sweet caramels and lots of vanilla bean. The bourbon character is really the perfect compliment for the beer, as the slightly drier oak character of the bourbon barrel seems to work perfectly with the beer. While there is an increased oak presence compared to the brandy barrel version, the barrel character still holds itself very much in check with the overall balance of the nose, allowing the terrific, sweet malt complexities shine through on the center stage. A little bit of caramelly bourbon reveals itself to the nose, but is sufficiently subdued to leave but a gentle warming glow in the nostrils. Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel - this beer lends itself to the cask amazingly well. Loads of freshly picked, black cherries instantly flood the tongue, backed by an aggressively flavorful blend of raisins and lightly spiced fig. Tons of heavenly malt sweetness that’s complex and far from cloying; the light creaminess of the body simply makes this one dance across the tongue. Some fresh, woody maple syrup, clover honey, and lots and lots of vanilla bean enhance the dark fruity base. A little bit of dry oakiness lingers in the finish along with some warming bourbon, although while not hot, is pretty much the only less-than-perfect trait this brew has. Honestly, was it possible for this one to be a disappointment? No. Is it possible that this one even surpasses the brandy barrel’s greatness? Hopefully someday there will be bottles to do a just side-by-side comparison. Fantastic.

JohnC (3008) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - MAY 6, 2007
I had this on draft at Lost Abbey’s first Anniversary party.

The first thing that hits you with this beer is the fantastic aroma: vanilla, oak, bourbon and I don’t even have a good sense of smell.

The flavor is lush, complex & tasty