overall
RATINGS: 997   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 375   ABV: 12.5%
Current bottles have a black front label and may also have a visible "Bourbon" screen printed on the neck.

Same base beer as The Angel’s Share, but aged in Heaven Hill Wheat Whiskey barrels instead of the Brandy barrels for the standard release.

Bottled beginning in 2008 in 375mL bottles.

MatSciGuy (924) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 31, 2009
[Bottle] Pours a somewhat hazy caramel brown with a huge beige head that slowly dissipates. Aroma is oak, bourbon, vanilla, and a hint of chocolate. Flavor is mostly bourbon and oak flavors with some vanilla, caramel, and chocolate. I’m a fan of the more carbonation. The alcohol isn’t terribly present, but it can be felt on the way down. This was good, but the bourbon had a little more influence than I was hoping, and I feel like it masked a lot of the subtle complexities of the base beer.

FrancoisMtl (63) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 20, 2009
Gift from wetherel. 375ml Bottle. I was keeping this one for a special occasion but since I heard few people saying there might be infection issues with this offering, I decided not to wait long to open it. Well! I can say there is a lot of stuff in this small bottle but certainly no infection. Pours dark mahogany color with a big tan head. Carbonation is too high for this kind of beer but if you wait a little it is getting way better. The aroma is awesome! strong malt, caramel, bourbon and vanilla. Same strong taste profile with a great balance between sweeteness, alcool and bitterness! This is spot on to what I think a barley wine should be! John, I can’t thank you enough for this treat!

Hoptagon (239) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JAN 17, 2009
375ml Bottle. Pours a rich mahogany color with a slightly tan head. Nose is predominately soft Bourbon, caramel and oak. Lots of flavors on the tongue here, definitely showing toffee, caramel, bread, leather and overly ripe dark fruits in addition to the subtle Bourbon flavor. Flavor is also extremely woody, tastes as though someone squeezed the juice out of an ornery oak tree and bottled it. Mouthfeel is on the fizzy side and if there is one area to knock this beer its that the overcarbonation is distracting. Beer is not at all heavy or syrupy for a 12.5%. Alcohol is almost frightening unnoticeable throughout. Very well balanced and much better as it warms. Give it time to air out in the snifter. Outstanding!

nbutler11 (1305) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JAN 16, 2009
Hark! Thanks to ajm for allowing me share what the angels left behind. Pours a dark molasses from the bottle with a creamy brown head of foam. Smells exactly like walking into a log cabin, with notes of powdered cocoa, and alcohol. Loaded with balanced flavors of caramel, cocoa, and butter. Amazingly complex and labored over.

ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 16, 2009
12.7% bottling from Joey at SouthBay! My rating has gone down .3 since Ive had more time to think about this. Pours a very heavy and intimidating dark brown - liquid woodchips. Heady aroma of wood, chocolate and a very slight coconut balance. The palatte and flavor are very heavy, but I think my tasting partner bullseyed it when he said that it smells slightly better than it tastes: the heaviness of the flavor gives the beer such concentrated direction as to almost be... lacking in depth. Scotch, wood granules, massive roast and charcoal are what you feel and taste, but as much as this liquid oak is impressive, theres simply no room left for the beer, and this is why it couldnt hit higher scores for me. I told nbutler11 that I dont think I will ever be in the mood to drink this beer as I dont see myself spiralling into depression in the near future though the thought of having to finish even a 375 of this myself brings me close.

aplusbreaks (330) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 15, 2009
Rating #200. Bottle from diggity7. Pours black with brown edges, and a big creamy long lasting dark drown head. Aromas of booze, bourbon, wood, vanilla, caramel and a little more booze, which I don’t seem to mind. I also get some brown sugar and raisin. Flavors are sweet malts, caramel, raisin, and alcohol. Long finish, great body, but as we all know over carbonated.

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 12, 2009
Thanks for sharing this with me bro. I was a bit perplexed when I was smelling and tasting this. I had no idea what style it was. I thought it was an impy stout and was thinking it was ’’meh’’. Then my brother told me it was a barley wine and at that point, I was very impressed. It pours out one of the deepest brown colors with light tannish head. Aroma is intensely bourbon, caramel malt and mild chocolate and smoke. Taste is vanilla, intense bourbon, caramel malt and light toffee. Very smooth for the ABV and everything is well balanced. Awesome stuff!!!

Petrucci914 (921) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 12, 2009
Thanks to TheCheeseMan! 2007 Bottle, Gold Lettering. The bottle was a gusher but I poured quickly and let it set for a while. The head was huge - large foamy off-white color that settles to a thin creamy off-white head with streams of lacing. Aroma is sweet, oak, brandy, brown sugar, vanilla, and dark fruit. Taste is amazingly smooth for being such high alcohol - caramel, vanilla, dark fruit. WOW!

SuperWhite92 (22) - , Colorado, USA - JAN 12, 2009
Pours a dark black with a slight reddish brown at the edges. Head is a medium tan color and the beer is overcarbonated enough to warrant an extremely slow pour.Smells like heaven. Hints of oak, maybe a slight boozy aroma. A bit of vanilla I think.Tastes like it smells. Well, sort of. It’s better. There’s a slight bourbon flavor, which unlike a lot of beers, is very subdued and balanced with the other flavors of vanilla, oak, maybe some dark fruits, and a bit of caramel. Minimal amounts of alcohol are present in the taste. Very impressed.Mouthfeel is where I feel this beer suffers. There’s simply too much carbonation in here. Instead of feeling a syrupy thickness I feel a fizzy bubbling sensation. With as relatively thin as the beer is, I feel it would serve better with a heavier mouthfeel.However, I think that after you move past the beers somewhat fizzy nature, it’s very very drinkable. None of the flavors are overwhelming and always in balance. The only thing that would stop me from drinking more of this would be the lack of availability (I had to get this VIA trading) and the fact that the ABV would knock me onto my ass in a hurry. Especially because it’s so well hidden. I am very impressed with this beer as a whole. Most of the regular Lost Abbey brews I’ve been unimpressed with, and with all the hyped up beers I’ve tasted recently, this is one of a few that I feel lives up to it’s hype.

HonkeyBra (4044) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - JAN 9, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2009 Bottle shared with CaryTheDude and JakeBra. Much was made of the the cork when it was opened, The pour is very dark with a dark head. Looks excellent. Aroma is very smooth bourbon, fruit malt. Flavor is incredibly smooth. Smoother than any bourbon barrel aged beer I’ve ever had. Great mixe of bourbon and fruit, caramel, toffee and oak. Not boozy in the least. Mouthfeel is so smooth. CaryTheDudes’s right, it isn’t fair. This beer is too good. Re-rate: Draft at the Local Option. Dark, dark brown pour with a tan ring around the head. Nice to try this again and not have to suffer through a flat bottle. Aroma of bourbon and toffee, rum soaked fruit. Dark Chocolate. Smooth bourbon on top of a fruity, deep body. This is a lovely beer, it’s a shame they had so many problems with it in the bottles. It’s having whiskey on your breath when while kissing the girl of your dreams.