overall
RATINGS: 1206   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Not for the faint hearted! Our stout rewards the palate with robust flavor of roasted malts (malts are roasted like coffee beans) and heavy hops. A creamy smooth surprise.

SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUN 24, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2003 Very dark. Sweet with a slight burnt taste. Aftertaste disappears suddenly. Me likey...

Darkover (1538) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 16, 2004
Blackest black with a dark brown head. Roasted malt aroma. Sweet malty and roasted flavor. Smooth, thick and drinkable.

cstuartj (1020) - Washington, USA - MAR 17, 2004
A standard stout that rubs shoulders with some of the best imperials out there, this is the Lost Coast 8 Ball stout. Dark as sin, thick as hate. This beer is all about the roast, massive, bitter (in that oh so good way), a Italian espresso (the kind with grounds at the bottom of the cup baby). Dry as the Mojave Desert this is, it coats your mouth like tar and just doesn't let go. Is it clear that I really, really like this beer?!?

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2004
Black. Jet black. Dark tan head. Nose is coffee, molasses, dark chocolate. Hints of smoke. Big, rich flavor. Full body. Flavor begins smooth and creamy and kicks butt at the end with a richness that should be present in all stouts. Definitely a keeper.

urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAY 2, 2004
One of the best stouts I’ve tasted, maybe even marginally better than Bell’s Kalamazoo. The aroma is overwhelmingly rich chocolate, coffee and fruit. The flavor seems rather hoppy, not unlike Storm King in miniature. The palate has a really nice thinness which make the whole thing quenching and quaffable. Top notch. I need more.

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUL 3, 2004
On tap at the brewpup in Eureka, CA. The best beer that I have tried from this brewer, and one of the best stouts that I have had in a long time. It was very smoky, almost rauchbier-like, but did not exhibit any burnt-bitter notes. Very well done.

musjakey (1) - USA - AUG 28, 2004 does not count
My favorite beer! Lots of coffee flavor (in a good way). From my home town. Hard to find here in LA.

turbo (1271) - Arizona, USA - FEB 17, 2005
Very good! Bottle poured into my Duvel glass black with a nice thick chocolate head that lasted as long as the beer. When the head started to fade, a swirl of the glass brought it back again. Aroma was roasty,chocolate and coffee. Good roast and chocolate flavor that stayed on the palate. Only got better as it warmed.. Very good!

JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - MAR 24, 2005
I had a beergasm when I drank this. Maybe I’d just had an otherwise bad day...It’s got a very nice chocolatey and coffee aroma and flavor. Temptatiously atractive dark tan head, frothy. The thing that is great about this beer is it’s flavor matches it’s aroma, and they are both so delicious. This thing is like a shake without too much sweetness. All I can say is buy it if you see it.

lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Appearance: Pours like motor oil with a thin dark brown head. No lace Smell: Rich burnt malt, hints of chocolate and smoky. Taste: Smoky burnt malt. Really rich coffee flavors, bitter and chocolatey. Mouth: Big and full bodied, smoky bitter aftertaste Drink: I can’t put it down! What a great stout! I probably shouldn’t but I could drink this all night. Overall: A pleasant surprise in a mixed sixer I picked up in Blacksburg, VA (Vintage Cellar). Robust and bold stout.