overall
Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 687   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
An American version of the Belgian style. This unfiltered beer has a striking translucent, golden color with white clouds. Seemingly a contradiction in terms, it has a full body mouth-feel but is surprisingly light to drink. Topped with a hint of citrus, provided by Coriander and a secret blend of Humbolt herbs, this beer is slightly sweet and a delight to drink in any season.

jackamackson (127) - USA - MAR 26, 2005
yellow pour, lots of white head. aroma is sweet, yeasty, thats about it. flavor is kinda lacking.. yeasty, sweet, mild spice, kind of boring. avg. mouthfeel. very sub-par compared to other witbiers i’ve had

Padron4KM (810) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAR 25, 2005
22 oz bottle, bottled Jan 05.
Secret blend of Humbolt herbs? The only herbs they grow in humbolt that I know of will cause you to fail a piss test, so I hope it’s not that. lol Pours out hazy cloudy orangy yellow, with a big fluffy white head. Head dies rather quickly and leaves spotty lacing.
Aroma is very light, lemony sweet and a little yeast.
Flavor is light as well. Tiny bit of citrus and a hint of dustiness and wheat.
Finish is short and clean.
O.K beer, I would drink this if you gave me one but I wouldn’t hunt it down.

mjg74 (3205) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAR 23, 2005
Pours a hazy golden/orange color. Aroma is somewhat grainy and sweet. Yeasty as well. Light grainy bitter flavor. Easy drinking, light and refreshing but not a whole lot going on. Average, I would say.

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Thin white head, poor retention. Citrus aroma dominates, notes of artifical fruitiness. SLightly opaque white tinged golden yellow; Americanized wit beer appearance. Wheaty tang followed by a sweet fruity flavor reminiscent of peaches and melon. Slight coriander flavors make an appearance. Marred by a decidedly artificial characteristic to the fruit flavors. Very smooth and drinkable, moreso as warming dampens the sweetness of the finish

BekaTheWrekka (4) - Berkeley, California, USA - MAR 21, 2005 does not count
I asked for a pint of this, but the gal told me to try a sample first, as she had been let down by this beer. Thank god. I tried to sniff it before I took a sip, but I didn’t smell anything. I sipped it, and the taste was minimal. It reminded me of Calistoga plain mineral water. Water with bubbles in it, and a little bit of a rough flavor that I can’t quite place. This beer didn’t taste like beer. I can’t imagine that grains and hops made their way into the recipe for Great White. I’m hoping it was served too cold, or that in the summer I will appreciate it more. Otherwise, I pass.

JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - MAR 19, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2005 Cloudy haziness, white like a sunny day cloud kinda head. Citrus aroma, bit orange, bit grapefruit. It’s got some wheat flavor, not much malt, and a coriander finish. Priced well where I buy it. Plus, a lot of people I know really seem to like it. While it’s not the most amazing belgian white, its good.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - FEB 19, 2005
Golden color crossed with milky white, white head. Aroma of coriander orange peel, some malt and wheat definitely on the spicier end. Fairly yeasty. Light to medium bodied. Pretty nice, would probably be better if I drank on a summer day becuase it wa sfairly refreshing.

turbo (1271) - Arizona, USA - FEB 17, 2005
Poured a cloudy yellow with small head. Aroma is citrus. Flavor is citrus and grapefruit. Easy drinking and refreshing.

ClarkVV (6963) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 15, 2005
2004 bottle from Hop and Leaf. Picked this one up to rescue me from a potential drain pour session. I opened it, in fact, to do just that, as I was pouring beers out left and right. Unfortunately this stuff was about as bad as the rest, which is unfortunate, because I like the style and enjoyed their 8 Ball Stout. Anywho, it pours a light orange-blonde-yellow mix, with a light haze to the body and a wispy white head. Notes of lemon and coriander are very muted in the nose. Body is immensely watery and the flavor features light orange zest, coriander and a touch of herbs on the end. I get almost no malt sweetness. I keep wondering if I got a bunch of bad bottles, but all of them I chose from the cooler, so I dont know, perhaps they went bad in transit.

beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - JAN 25, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2007 Update - I just had this for the first time in a while and it has way to much coriander in it. Overwhelming sweet spice flavor, like coriander candy, really distracting. This hazy golden/yellow beer has a great light wheat, citrusy, apricot aroma, with just a light touch of hops. Taste starts with a fruity sweet pineapple/apricot flavor up front, followed by a lemon drop candy sweetness in the middle. Slight spicing and a mild hop finish round out a great light summer brew. Very smooth and soft on the palate.