Formerly brewed at Lovejoys Tap Room & Brewery
Style: Porter
Austin, Texas USA

RATINGS: 9   MEAN: 2.9/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84/5   EST. CALORIES: 158   ABV: 5.25%
A robust American porter. This dark, full bodied ale is well balanced with a generous dose of aromatic hops.

Most RecentTicked By

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - APR 5, 2005
Poured opaque black with no head...mild roasty coffee aroma...watery and thin...a hint of chocolate and some coffee, but this was another disappointment...

Likerighteous (120) - Pflugerville, Texas, USA - FEB 12, 2005
Tap. Poured like midnight. Smells wonderful with hints of Nyquil and chicory coffee. The head was slight and brief. First taste was a bit disappointing but as it warmed it began to shine. It slaked my afternoon thirst and left me with whispers of a promising night.

PorterPounder (8074) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Had on tap at the bar in Austin. Dark ruby red pour, light mocha colored head. Has a slight, odd acidic taste that I think is kind of a Lovejoy house taste. Some slight chocolate notes redeem it a little bit and the mouthfeel is slightly thick and creamy, but it is still not the most pleasant Porter I have had the experience of drinking. Great place - Lovejoy’s - just does not brew very good beer.

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 10, 2004
This is one of my favorite bars in Austin. Cool people, crazy art, cheap homebrews. Not the greatest porter in the world but very drinkable. I could definitely do about 6 of these in a night and be happy. Zero head, no lacing...slightly dissapointing the first time I got this but I kind of like it now. Looks like black swampwater. Not very thick in fact looks like water with black food coloring. Not very impressive. Smells awesome. Cascade maybe. Very piney and round. Tastes excellent. The wateriness blanches out the sootiness of the malt, which I think is interesting and admirable. Very thirst quenching...not something I would usually say about a Porter. Get it if they have it. G-rat

Aggie80 (818) - Michigan, USA - OCT 2, 2003
Nothing in the way of head or lacing. Sweet, but no strong flavors of any type. Atmosphere was kinda cool.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - JUL 5, 2003
Perhaps some workhas been done on this one. Or after having five pints prior I was lubricated enough that I was an easy target. I doubt it. I usually get much tougher on beers the longer the night. Certainly not the greatest porter I have ever had, but a nice roast flavor with enough character in the mouth feel and balance to give it some class.

nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 22, 2002
Very watery for a porter, not much body, just a little bit of roasted flavor.

Andrew196 (1921) - Katy, Texas, USA - MAR 22, 2002
Unfortunately this was the best this brewery had to offer. It did have some flavor of roastedness. It was thin otherwise and left me disappointed.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - MAR 22, 2002
This was the best brew that I had out of three, which ain’t saying a lot. Standard porter medium bodied, weakish stout, slight chocolate/coffee taste, nothing special at all.