overall
Brewed by Löwenbräu Munich (InBev)
Style: Dunkel/Tmavý
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 81   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Lowenbrau Dark is brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot, the German purity law of 1516, which stipulates that only the natural ingredients of barley-malt, hops, yeast and water be used in the brewing process

robharing (82) - Ormond Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 10, 2005
i dont know whats going on with this beer it tasted like stale bud beer lowenbrau should just go out of business my opinion there destroying the german reput of good german beer

donvitozou (141) - memphis, Tennessee, USA - DEC 4, 2004
much better than regular lowenbrau. however, the "dark" label is kind of a charade, like heineken dark. it is still remarkably similar to original lowenbrau, just with an amber color and a thicker body. i was expecting more from a dark german lager, but this was tasty nonetheless.

SDalkoholic (2393) - Linda Vista, California, USA - AUG 11, 2004
Not as rewarding as a dark beer should be. This lager did give me a different aftertaste then im used to from a lager.

mohawksin (187) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 20, 2004
This was the first ’dark’ beer I ever had. I was a bit surprised at the time, having only drank crappy Wisconsin macros until then. But after a couple I really enjoyed it. Now, I would rate this as an average ’dark’. Nice color, good malt flavor.

punklawyer (100) - USA - FEB 15, 2004
I really like this one. A good full flavor with plenty of balance for sweetness and malts. I was impressed.

Gmku (303) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 4, 2004
I wasn't expecting much and I didn't get it. Smells and looks kind of good. I'd take it over most mass-produced made in the USA swill, but not over most other German beers.

mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JAN 2, 2004
A bit of a disappointment. Clear dark copper colour, OK head. Aroma of honey and some roasty malts. Flavour is a bit roasty for mine and not enough base malt. Drinkable but hardly memorable.

wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - NOV 21, 2003
In 1979 I used to drink this stuff when I got off work. It was one of the few beers around at that time that weren't pale American shit. Dark chocolate, with not enough head and what there is doesn't stay around long. Cidery taste on the backend that is either hops or something fell from the pits of Hades. It was OK back in the day--now it just sucks.

SirBeer1963 (14) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 25, 2003
this is very good beer for a mass produced beer but not easy to get in the USA

Gahan (1) - Kalispell, Montana, USA - JUL 3, 2003 does not count
to bad you cannot get this in the US anymore. I will take this over Guiness anyday