overall
Brewed by Löwenbräu Munich (InBev)
Style: Dunkel/Tmavý
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 76   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Lowenbrau Dark is brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot, the German purity law of 1516, which stipulates that only the natural ingredients of barley-malt, hops, yeast and water be used in the brewing process

Kevbo99 (149) - Dunmore, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 20, 2002
Not a rush of flavor but still deserves a lil credit........................

beerguy101 (5364) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 26, 2002
Dark brown color, medium head. Nice malted, slightly roasted malts, some malt sweetness. Good hop balance. Nice flavor, perhaps a little mild? . Mouthfeel is full. The “original Munich formula”. A change from the Lowenbrau of a few years ago. Very nice. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is malty, slightly bitter.

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - SEP 26, 2002
This is a better than average beer, especially given the price. I haven't tried it since they stopped brewing it in the USA, but I will be on the lookout for some of the Munich-brewed stuff.

Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - AUG 20, 2002
A below average dark beer. Not that bad, but why settle for less? Surely not good enough to Lower my Brow. BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!1111

vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 9, 2002
Not a bad dark beer, but not for being a German beer from Canada. No offence to Canadians, but when I want a German beer I hope that it was brewed in Germany. Anyway, the smell reminds me of baked beans and it is not really bitter at all. Overall not a bad beer.

benzim (36) - USA - JUL 12, 2002
Decent dark lager. This was the first dark I ever tried, back in the early 80s when it was brewed by Miller. I could barely finish it then! It was too exotic for me. Recently tried the Canadian brewed version and found it to be not bad at all.

beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 9, 2002
Geez, I remember when this was the extent of exotic beers at my local liquor store. It's really not a bad beer, but it's really too sweet for continued drinking.

SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2002
Not too bad. It's another dark lager from Germany (by way of Cananda for me though) that tastes a lot like Becks or St. Pauli dark. Mild caramel flavor and a very thin texture. Not so bad to avoid, but I won't be running out to get more.

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - MAY 30, 2002
Not bad, certainly better than I expected, but still nothing to write home about.

Dogbrick (13789) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2002
I would classify this as a Schwarzbier or a Munich Dunkel, although it is definitely not up to par with most of either variety. This is a very unobtrusive brew, but it needs more of a kick to be anything special. Mild malty flavor, very dark with a minimal head and lacing.