overall
Brewed by Löwenbräu Munich (InBev)
Style: Dortmunder/Helles
Munich, Germany
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 1202   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.59/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%

MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 20, 2004
500 ML sample- As soon as I took a whiff of this stuff I caught what seemed to be some mint and herbal scents. That was very nice. Head was almost non-existant. Colour was light straw. Light bodied, went down easy. Nothing groundbreaking though.

Trogdor (197) - Cairns, AUSTRALIA - FEB 20, 2004
floral hop aroma. well carbonated golden lager with good head. flowery hop flavour with hints of honey and malt. thin body with nice even bitterness. not bad but nothing out of the ordinary.

AndersR (196) - Århus, DENMARK - FEB 13, 2004
Light gold color. Small head. Crispy flavour with a bitter finish. An ok ever so slightly above average beer. Easy drinking indeed...

heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - FEB 7, 2004
light straw water color, with a lightly skunky aroma. Moderate bitterness, high (distractingly so) carbonation level. Rather thin too. Flavor is well-balanced and clean. Rather pleasant, beyond its flaws. I just want a juicer malt character out of my helles.

Gmku (303) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 4, 2004
I'm a little confused about which Lowenbrau exaclty I'm rating, that is, if this is the right RB place for the one I'm rating. I've got the mass market U.S. kind. And it's not a good thing. It's better than many mass-produced American beers. It's easy drinking and has that nice clingy lacing I like in a beer. But it's almost always got that skunky aroma that's so common with beers in this niche. And that kind of middling nowhere flavor. Must be an acquired taste.

5000 (6862) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Bottle pours a very transparent pale straw color.   Head is white and frothy.   Light carbonation.   Slight aroma of grass/grain.   Initial taste is about the same, very light and a tad sweet.   Finish is a bit malty but thin.   For such a mass produced beer, the lacing is fairly sticky.   This is a very easy drinking Helles, definately not the most flavorful, but its not bad.   Label boasts "Imported from Munich Germany" so perhaps this one is not exactly like the Miller version.   I wouldn't turn it down if this one was offered to me.

pkbites (970) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 2, 2004
For almost 20 years this stuff was made under license by Miller Brewing here in Milwaukee. It was the only beer to come out of Miller that deserved an "excellent" rating. I don't like this as much as Millers version. Can you believe it? Such a sucky brewer like Miller actually did this one right. This version is pretty good, but it's hard to get one that's not too skunky. Get a fresh one and you'll find it to have a nice aroma, light but full head, and a good bitter, but not "too" bitter, aftertaste. Try it. But smell it first. I've gotten a lot of them that were pure skunk right off the delivery truck. I complained to the brewer via email and was pretty much told to drop dead. No kidding. Anyway, Millers version would have gotten 4 stars from me. This one gets 3.

jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 28, 2004
I don't know what the deal is, but I could only taste alcohol at first. I was excited for this but it was nothing too different from the usual. Taste reminds me of malt liquor.

piscator34 (2622) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JAN 28, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2004 Light gold colour, with a meduim head. A pleasent summer drink with some grassy overtones... a step up from Becks.

1.2
becksgenius (110) - Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Well its a bit of a stretch for me to rate this one beause i remember very little about it. had it during the oktoberfest rail at molly's in dekalb, IL. sure was easy to drink.