overall
Formerly brewed at Riva Brouwerij (Duvel-Moortgat)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Dentergem, Belgium

RATINGS: 572   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A Belgian golden ale. On the nose it is lightly hoppy and yeastily spicy, with faint caramelly malt notes and a touch of citrusy and estery fruit. The head tastes extremely bitter, as is often the case with this style. Surprisingly fruity, but with a strong hoppy bitterness. There is a warming, malty, vanilla quality to it, which develops into an alcohol kick towards the end. Secondary fermentation in the bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chantdaddy (19) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 10, 2008
750ml bottle. Different label than one pictured on RateBeer. Not a bad beer at all. Meets all the requirements of the style... golden, evedent malt, spicy, Belgain ale yeast flavor, and alcohol. Just as the commercial description says, this is actually fruity, which I dont personally find too much with Belgian golden ales...Im guessing this is, in part, due to use of orange peel (another clue is the large amount of suspended "stuff" in the beer). Im not tasting coriander, and I think that most of the spicy character comes from the yeast itself. Ive had lots of Belgains that I didnt bother commenting on, but this one is notable... not the best, but quite good. It definately deserves a better rating on here. Good work Liefmans!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Lans (19) - , Kentucky, USA - DEC 14, 2008
Bottle, 330 mL Poured a dark, tarnished gold in color, with a thin head. Lots of yeast sediment. Nose has yellow apples and caramel. Extremely smooth texture, with a very good mouth feel. Overall, a decent beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mrbeakersalesman99 (17) - USA - APR 8, 2001
nice golden ale...one of the better ones I have had

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
RevZombie666 (14) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 7, 2008
I drank this in Belgium, cause it was the only thing I could pronounce at the restaurant. It was a good brew, but it wasn’t anything to write back to dad about.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Acariya (13) - Rhode Island, USA - JUN 6, 2007
Bottle as pictured, except with a cork instead. Pours a light golden color.. appears hazy gold in my trappist glass.. with an almost foamy head.. aroma is very pleasant.. theres a bit of fruit that is definitely welcoming.. can smell a slight alcohol scent as well.. light on the palate and again the fruits come through in the flavor.. I couldnt place it at first but theres a constant taste of vanilla.. overall I wasnt sure what to think at first.. but halfway through my first glass I decided I was enjoying the brew very much.. now on my second glass and this stuff is pretty delicious.. I would also like to add that it the aftertaste is dry, which Im normally not a big fan of but this is not bad!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
icefires (6) - USA - DEC 19, 2007 does not count
Drinkable. Probably wont buy it again, unless its on sale. Hard to type 75 characters.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
PurplePieMan (6) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 2, 2005 does not count
Very slight cloudyness. Golden with compact white head. Generous carbonation but not out of control. I smell a little grapefruit, a little citrus and lots of yeast. The flavor is average. Theres nothing special here. At the end, there is a little kick that I wouldnt expect or want from an 8% abv beer. Its ok. Its drinkable, but I wouldnt save any room in the fridge or cellar for this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
schut (5) - GERMANY - MAY 1, 2009 does not count
pours a nice golden hazey color, looks good in my lucifer glass. nice aroma with a light fuit and spice smell. goes down smooth for 8.5 abv.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kitschykitty (3) - Blenheim, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 11, 2004 does not count
Lucifer has been a highly anticipated member of our cellar what with it's 8% alcohol content and fiery devil calling to me, I must admit I've been looking forward to this beer. The aroma is that of a yeasty berry mix, very pleasant and not overbearing. It pours a robust yellow, almost urine colour, with a white, frothy head that lingers. Yeasty taste with hoppy finish. The bead is lively with a fizzy aftertaste that bubble along your tongue. The strength isn't apparent until after swallowed, leaving a deceiving golden beauty that drinks so well. Devilishly good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
RugbyKrunk (2) - , Alabama, USA - AUG 22, 2008 does not count
Great, clean beer with a good texture for such a light ale. Too bad my distributor has discontinued it... Enjoi!