overall
Formerly brewed at Riva Brouwerij (Duvel-Moortgat)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Dentergem, Belgium

RATINGS: 566   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A Belgian golden ale. On the nose it is lightly hoppy and yeastily spicy, with faint caramelly malt notes and a touch of citrusy and estery fruit. The head tastes extremely bitter, as is often the case with this style. Surprisingly fruity, but with a strong hoppy bitterness. There is a warming, malty, vanilla quality to it, which develops into an alcohol kick towards the end. Secondary fermentation in the bottle.

Jeppe (2634) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - FEB 3, 2005
Pours hazy pale yellow with a fizzy snow white head. Rather unbalanced in the aroma. Yeasty and alcoholic tones with some straw and citrus. Very fruity flavor with a quite heavy yeast note. Acidid and rather harsh. Not really my kind of beer, I find it too edgy and unbalanced.

yalnikim (802) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 29, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 21, 2005 Retasted 18/10/2005. 330ml, bottle-conditioned, from Regional Wines and Spirits, Wellington. Very pale yellow-gold, almost wit-like. Spritzy looking, with a ballooning, pure-white, head. Cloudy, once the yeast ours in. Sugar, honey and lemon on the nose, with tingles up the nose. Some yeast and alcohol esters. Flavour is sugar, aniseed and vodka. Aniseed bitterness lingers and dominates slightly. Lightweight and lacking in subtlety. I’ll pass this on over in the future for something with more balance, like Duvel, Chimay, Rochefort or Westvleteren.

Nel (180) - Virginia, USA - OCT 29, 2006
Pours out a pale blonde. Very bubbly. The head is sticky a little like spiderweb. I could definently detect some yeasty spicy flavor that I found enticing, but the alcohol flavor overpowered everything else, and I was left wishing I had purchased a smaller bottle. I’ve had this one about 3 times now and I always feel like I shouldn’t have bought it. My memory betrays me every time, however and I end up taking one home. Needless to say you shouldn’t waste your time on this brew when there are many others that deserve your attention.

00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - JUL 22, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2007 Pours out a golden yellow color with a huge white head. Aroma was rather sweet and very yeasty. Flavor was the same. I did not care for this beer at all.

kidmartinek (5007) - austin, Texas, USA - FEB 21, 2008
Pours clear golden, filling the glass completely with foam. Sweet, malty aroma. Very carbonated, stingy, in the mouth. Caramel, dark sugar flavor, with alcohol and vanilla coming through on the finish.

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 14, 2008
Dark golden colored beer. Wispy, well lasting and layered foam. Polish, leather and fruit aroma isn’t great. Flavor is lightly malty, fruity and sweet. Boozy and poorly balanced, with out any depth. Lacking yeast driven flavors as well. Not dirty, but not clean either. Just a poor Belgian overall.

Cavie (4874) - Arlington, Texas, USA - MAR 8, 2009
Pours golden yellow with a cloudy appearance. Live yeast present. Nose is a very faint hint of wheat. Almost has a light beer aroma. Tastes similar to a light beer but with the tingle of a higher ABV.

BlackHaddock (7957) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - MAY 10, 2012
From BA: Brown squatty 33cl bottle, best before 06/2010, drank on 26th Oct 2007. My bottle says it is brewed by a Liefmans Brewery. Poured into a Leffe glass it came out a golden clear yellow and a large white head sat on tap, sadly the head shrank away very swiftly. I got carbolic soap mixed in with the yeast when I put my nose to it, not a good aroma to me. Full on alcohol taste and more lagerish than a normal Belgian Ale. The aftertaste was thin although the alcohol does linger. A little disappointed with this beer, I was expecting more flavour and more umph.

Palme (4857) - Bergen, NORWAY - DEC 12, 2013
0.33l old bottle from Braai Tapperij de Mug in Middelburg. This is a a blurry pale golden one with a big and near everlasting bright white heavy lacing head. The aroma has some dusty spiderweb wibes, some old ripe strawberries, yeast and some Belgian white sugar. It still has a aggressive carbonation level and a thin oily texture in the mouth. The flavor reveals some raw alcohol, white sugar, floral tones, that characteristic Belgian yeast, thin watery lemons and something earthy/dusty. Clearly quite old this. I like the name more than the beer itself, but it’s by no means a bad one. Just a bit, what to say, standard and ordinary? 08.06.2012

eczematic (1326) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - FEB 13, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2003 another beer offering duvel the sincerest form of flattery. very pale with enormous frothy, excited head. smells of raw barley grain, tinned fruit, and faintly of glue (ingredients list contained a few numbers...). lightly salty, smooth honey body followed by burst of raw vodka, and a moderate bitterness that dries everything up in a very abrupt finish. rer8: nasty chemical taste. blah.