overall
Formerly brewed at Riva Brouwerij (Duvel-Moortgat)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Dentergem, Belgium

RATINGS: 563   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A Belgian golden ale. On the nose it is lightly hoppy and yeastily spicy, with faint caramelly malt notes and a touch of citrusy and estery fruit. The head tastes extremely bitter, as is often the case with this style. Surprisingly fruity, but with a strong hoppy bitterness. There is a warming, malty, vanilla quality to it, which develops into an alcohol kick towards the end. Secondary fermentation in the bottle.

pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 25, 2006
Bottle. You know, I love Belgians, but this one didn’t fit the bill for me. Light and extremely dry with too many creepy floaters. I don’t mind yeast and some particles, but this was like frog eggs... slimy and disgusting. Nose was yeasty and a bit of hops along with that sweet tangy Belgian smell. Also, their was almost a fusel alcohol flavor and wispiness up into the nose. I wish I liked it, but I think it sucks. Maybe I’ll try another after seeing the rating here... maybe not.

LinusStick (3462) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 6, 2007
I’ve had a bad run with Belgians. This beer deserves to spend eternity with the one on the label. No aroma. Pour was a hazy pee color with a 4 finger head. The taste was way too carbonated and not very tasty. Stick a pitch fork in this one....it’s done in my book.

CapFlu (5127) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 27, 2003
(Bottle) Bizarre aroma for a Belgian Strong - smells more like an American swill Malt Liquor? Grassy, tin nose mixed with a mild malt and some lemony-fruitness. Huge, non-dissipating, white head. Belgian Ale flavour yet watery and non-complex. Finishes smooth and lame.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 1, 2004
Cool name. Cool label. Mediocre beer. Hazy golden body with a big, frothy white head. Aroma was sweet: honey, peaches, maybe apples. Some spice. Feels artificial in the mouth. Like a sauce or a cleaning product. Not a real beer feel. The flavor seems to have a lot going on but none of it is successful. In the end, it’s just bittersweet without character. A beer with this name should kick ass and make you want to dance with the devil.

JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - APR 7, 2005
(on bottle) Hazy, pale yellow. Pear-sents with a citric applepeal note. Taste is not that complex; ´bit like wet cardboard and that impression lingers in the finish too.

weepingsuds (223) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - JUL 24, 2005
Bottle. Really expected a bit more out of this devil brew. Sweet yet spicy and pungent. Just not my thing. What the hell were they thinking.

jbrus (4990) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - OCT 25, 2001
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2007 Bottled. Time for a re-rate I thought. And it didn’t turn out to good for Lucifer. Don’t know whether my tastebud changed or the beer did, but really don’t like it anymore. Couldn’t finish the whole bottle. Hoppe herbal and light grainy aroma. Pale yellow color, light hazy, white head, good lace. Bitter, some veggies, medicinal bitterness. Alcoholic and metallic. Hard drink, harder to finish.

dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 25, 2002
Awful aroma, quite possibly the worst I have ever encountered. I thought it had skunked, although the flavor was not that bad. hoppy finish with a nice citrus zing up front. Sweet. Yet the odor ruined it for me, so much that i could not even finish the beer.

motelpogo (7704) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - AUG 28, 2003
pretty bad stuff. tastes of stale yoghurt and batteries with a drop or 2 of metho

heemer77 (5358) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - OCT 27, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2005 Very light gold body with a little haze and a huge white head. The aroma is barnyard and some grass. There is also warm manure and a little bit of pears. I am not enjoying this earthy aroma. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and sharp. It has tastes of pears, manure and grass. There is a sharp tobacco finish that really bugs me. There is not any sweet taste in this.As I drink the 750, it gets worse and worse. A lame Belgian golden. I drank this as fast as I could, it was a bad experience all around.