Formerly brewed at Mac’s Brewery (Lion Breweries - NZ)
Style: Pale Lager
Auckland, New Zealand

RATINGS: 7   MEAN: 3.88/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Our first limited release of 2004 is truely a once in a lifetime drinking experience. We’ve managed to produce two exciting, never before used, hop varieties and combined them with the inimitable NZ Saaz hop to celebrate the classic pilsener style lager. The hops are as fresh as they come - the first of the season - and we’ve even included the flowers in the boil to maximise the full flavour result. With a classic golden hue, a tight foamy white head and a full, creamy body, it’s the mix that makes the magic: unique citrus and spicy notes from the NZ Saaz, tropical aromas from our special new hop, and the crisp bitterness of new Pacific Jade providing the balance. Tracy Banner, Head Brewer

Most RecentTicked By

dreamboat (186) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - OCT 25, 2004
Pale gold brew, coarsely carbonated with a tight white head. Sweet malty aroma, with a dry, grassy hop in the background. Nice full body with a pleasent malt/hop balance. I tried one of these around amonth ago, and found it to be very dry and grassy, so maybe those few weeks in the fridge have mellowed it a bit.

bluevegie (3938) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - OCT 9, 2004
Yes! I thought this was a decent pils also. Lovely hop aroma, good white head and lacing, great taste of hops without being too much of it. Great body, balance and finish although I am still impressed by Emerson’s Pils.

mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - SEP 26, 2004
Beautiful looking beer - clear gold with a fluffy white head and a lovely trail of bubbles in my PU glass. Aroma didn’t really jump out and grab me as much as the other raters made me believe, but it certainly smells hoppy. The aroma really changed and developed (generally for the better) over the course of the glass. Initially it was very rough and grassy and woody, then came a more refined woody, raw hop aroma with a hint of raw broccoli. Initial flavour is grassy hop, then a nice tight maltiness comes through before a big, rough bitterness hits you. The only pils I’ve had which was more bitter was Jever. The malt does its job perfectly, just getting in there and out of the way quickly. There is a tiny bit of paw paw funkiness which I have found in a few NZ beers (I think it’s from the hops) but otherwise it’s bloody good. A lovely dry and kinda savoury finish which makes you want more immediately. I don’t think I’ve drunk any beer as quick as I did this one. Thanks beer_ledgend!!

rgrep (157) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 10, 2004
(28 Aug 04) As the others have said before me, this beer hits you with a massive hop aroma as soon as you lift the cap. The most distinctive notes are citrus and pine. It is a lot more aromatic than any other Pilsner I have sampled. It is a clear and sparkling yellow with a diminishing creamy and rocky white head but no lacing. The body is light with a good bead, and is moderately bitter. It tastes slightly soapy but good nonetheless.

Sully (1380) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - AUG 29, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2004 Beer_Ledgend told me this one was a beauty. He said that the aroma of hop hit you got straight away after ripping off the cap (gotta love those retro rip tops) was a beauty. I agree totally. Then it pours like a good pils should, golden colour and clean fluffy head. The air is really redolent of this Pacific Jade which must be a clone of the noble Saaz. The nose is citrus with a resinous pine undertone, a common character of the Kiwi hops it seems. The mouthfeel has that distinctive character of a good pilsener as well, floral in character with the clean bitterness of the hop in concert with malt. In Australia Cascade have done a First Harvest Ale, but this attempt by the Kiwis is a corker. Odder still given that Macs to me was getting a bit tired as a mini brewer. They have pulled this one out of the box that’s for sure.

beerledgend (1196) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 25, 2004
Excellent golden colour with big white fluffy head. Big hoppy aroma, like all good pilsners should be. An even bigger hoppy tatste using a new hop variety (Pacific Jade). Would certainly be right up there with the best. Maybe even better than Emersons Pilsner.

DiscoForever (72) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 1, 2004
My flatmate Clare and I rented "Shade" (a poker film) and sampled this as we watched. Pours a deep & clear golden hue with medium/big bubbles and dense foamy head. Lacing hung around too (though I don’t know much about this). The hoppy aroma was really inviting with a touch of yeast. I also detected a distant chemical hint. Rolls around nicely on the tongue - fresh and clean - it kinda zings across the palate emptying out a bit quick to leave a mild bitterness but with a lingering tingly after-feel(!) This is easy refreshing session drinking which I’m keen to sample again - and with food - it ain’t a royal flush but it’s still worth holding onto yer cards...