overall
Brewed by Mac’s Brewery (Lion Breweries - NZ)
Style: Pilsener
Auckland, New Zealand

RATINGS: 125   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Lager and crystal malt. Nelson Sauvin hops for bittering, with more Sauvin and NZ Cascade for aroma.

DKL (46) - NEW ZEALAND - OCT 3, 2013
Stands out among NZ macro brews for reasonable strength of flavour. Hop notes make this more refreshing than most lagers. Very drinkable and fantastic value.

yungbeerguy (31) - NEW ZEALAND - SEP 7, 2013
A good beer, leaves a bittersweet after taste and has an amber colour to it.

MOFO (28) - Melbourne (Prev: Chch, NZ), AUSTRALIA - AUG 4, 2013
Great session beer - on top in NZ there is no peer for a commercial/macro brew. In bottle - it is a bit hit or miss depending on freshness and I think also simply over the itme I have been drinking it (not having a chance to drink this on tap in a while). I loved this back in 2004/5 when I first saw it - drank my body weight of it in Wellington... but fast-forward a few years, and it doesnt seem to be quite as "rocking". Not bad, but I feel they have taken the hops off a bit from those days - or I have moved on to larger IPAs and perhaps need a bit more to be wowed. Anyway, for a session beer I still like it - enough so that I made it one of my beers on offer at my wedding... so I would call that a decent recommendation.

lisagirl (264) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - APR 2, 2013
from memory, had 18/02/2013. mild hops with very ’subtle’ fruitiness over what seems to be a fairly typical mainstream lager to me. awfully refreshing to be sure, and a fair bit better than, say, mac’s gold, but still pretty bland.

MoleyBub (5) - Alabama, USA - APR 2, 2013 does not count
I think this is my current beer of choice in NZ. I tried it on draught at Auckland airport and many times in bottles. It is very pale colour in pilsener style but that’s where the lager resemblence ends. The strong citrus notes are evident on the nose and on the palate without a great deal of emphasis on the malt as you would expect. If it was less fizzy it would make a good real ale.

Beermack (725) - London, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 20, 2013
33cl bottle. Pours watery orange/straw colour with no real head to speak of. Aroma is subtle tropical fruit, lots of grassiness, some cereal and grainy notes. Taste has a fairly sharp (near-metallic) citric bitterness that mellows into softer light tropical notes. Again, cereal and grain come to the fore with some earthy, spicy hops (all fairly subtle). A touch astringent in the finish. Mouthfeel fairly thin. A tasty take on a pilsner; had a sixer of this at a BBQ last summer and it really hit the spot - a proper summer's day sessioner.

DylansDad (642) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 14, 2013
I have had 500ml bottle 3 times now. Each time I have been waiting for it to deliver the hops. It doesn’t. It does have hops and flavour and it is nice and better than the average mainstream piss etc etc etc, but it’s just so god dammed TIMID, lackluster and watery. I do wonder whether the 330ml bottle would be better, but I don’t know if I can be bothered finding out now. There’s just so much GREAT beer around, I can’t be fucked with a 50/100 beer.

Deu (948) - Nantes, FRANCE - JAN 31, 2013
330ml bottle at brewery lane in Dublin. Pale golden color. Taste of hops. Really nice pilsner. I recommend

Beersiveknown (5284) - NORTHERN IRELAND - JAN 26, 2013
Keg at shed 22 Brewbar, Wellington 7/1/13
Mid gold with no aroma, grapey kiwi and lime flavours, lime sherbet in finish. Not really a pilsner but an ok beer.

kendo (1) - NEW ZEALAND - JAN 18, 2013 does not count
Flavour/aromatic notes as everyone else has mentioned already, a lively drop I am yet to tire of despite it being my go-to drop for a few the last 3 or 4 years now. A steal at <$2/bottle in New Zealand, a pilsener without peer in it’s price range with the possible exception of Boundary Road’s Bouncing Czech on special. My local has it on tap too, where it tastes even better?