overall
Brewed by Mac’s Brewery (Lion Breweries - NZ)
Style: Pilsener
Auckland, New Zealand

RATINGS: 121   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Lager and crystal malt. Nelson Sauvin hops for bittering, with more Sauvin and NZ Cascade for aroma.

beerequalizer (22) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 1, 2010
I like this beer... in fact it’s hard to find one I don’t! Good amount of hops, nice maltiness, a real pleasure to have. zebracakes... 4/20? really? Why rate it?

shmang (4) - - JUL 24, 2012 does not count
A deliciously heavily hopped pilsener, with a nice aroma. It rolls across the palate very smoothly with a very deep flavour combination that keeps you drinking

Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 25, 2010
Mainstream goes craft with Mac’s Hoprocker. It pours with a fluffy, rocky head that hangs around. There’s tropical fruit, coarse grass and herbaceousness on the nose. It looks like a pilsner ought to, but the divergence is the mass of hop flavours and light maltiness. Hops, hops, hops, hops. You never see this many hops being used in something with a mainstream label and there have been occasions where I have had a couple and drifted off to sleep from the sophorific effect of the hops. It really is one of the most pleasant feelings you can have with your clothes on.

bman1986 (173) - Broadstairs, Kent, ENGLAND - JUN 11, 2010
What a delicious beer! Hops smack you in the face from the moment you smell it then the flavour is even stronger. A little malt in their to even things out but other than that this really just lets the hops do the talking. A really well crafted hoppy ale.

Deu (948) - Nantes, FRANCE - JAN 31, 2013
330ml bottle at brewery lane in Dublin. Pale golden color. Taste of hops. Really nice pilsner. I recommend

MOFO (28) - Melbourne (Prev: Chch, NZ), AUSTRALIA - AUG 4, 2013
Great session beer - on top in NZ there is no peer for a commercial/macro brew. In bottle - it is a bit hit or miss depending on freshness and I think also simply over the itme I have been drinking it (not having a chance to drink this on tap in a while). I loved this back in 2004/5 when I first saw it - drank my body weight of it in Wellington... but fast-forward a few years, and it doesnt seem to be quite as "rocking". Not bad, but I feel they have taken the hops off a bit from those days - or I have moved on to larger IPAs and perhaps need a bit more to be wowed. Anyway, for a session beer I still like it - enough so that I made it one of my beers on offer at my wedding... so I would call that a decent recommendation.

sunevdj (4102) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - MAR 3, 2007
Pours a clear golden with a white head. Big citrus-fruity hops aromas. Only slight maltyness (could have a bit more IMHO). Medium bodied. Nice carbonation. Short malty, long fruity finnish. Most hoppy beer I´ve had in NZ.

sw (63) - USA - AUG 1, 2009
Tasted this beer along side 5 other german pils. This beer seemed way out of style. A nice beer, but more in the pale ale category. A very strong pleasent floral hop aroma with a sweetwer than normal finish for a pilsener made me think i was drinking a very nice apa. A great beer but i feel it is out of style.

ryan (3186) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - DEC 19, 2010
Nice doughy malt nose, light honey and some grassy hops. The taste is lightly sweet, lightly bitter. The hops are fresh cut grass and flowers, and a touch of lemon. The malts are a bit squishy and out of place in a pils, should crisp and cracker like whereas these are more pale ale like, but it still works. Very nice beer.

mpeve (28) - Bolwarra, AUSTRALIA - JUL 21, 2007
Passsionfruit aromas, golden colour with a medium white head. Hop flavours and a medium bitterness. A really fruity beer, perfect for a session on a hot summer’s day