overall

RATINGS: 603   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 84   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
Brewed in small 10-barrel batches with Certified Organic barley malt, this crimson hued ale has a sweet caramel nose with a zesty spicy, citrus taste. It has a slight hop finish and leaves a warm, tingling sensation on the tongue.A great winter warmer!

Malts Used: Organic Barley
Boiling Hops: Columbus, Brewer’s Gold
Finishing Hops: Columbus, Brewer’s Gold, Perle

dwyerpg (6410) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - SEP 9, 2009
In my opinion this is highly underrated. This is one of my new favorite beers. Beautiful molasses aroma. A great strongly-hopped barleywine. Very strong caramel flavor, and extremely tasty.

bpreo (2943) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - MAY 22, 2016
I have the 2014 vintage... Yeah, I’m not a beer snob, so let’s not pretend. It’s a two year old beer, which usually wouldn’t be a good thing. But let’s find out... Original Rating 5/22/2016: 10, 5, 8, 5, 19.

unclemattie (4406) - Georgia, USA - JUL 22, 2007
12oz. bottle; 2006 vintage; 9.5%. dark amber, copper color. aroma is sweet malt. slight woodiness. flavor is very medicinal. very chocolaty. cereal finish. WOW!

SanfordBrewer (1610) - Sanford, Florida, USA - APR 17, 2011
opaque brown with beige head, full body with medium carbonation.

aroma and taste are full of chocolate and caramel, yet it is not cloying. like a cross between barleywine and scotch ale.

drpimento (3759) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 12, 2006
Poured with a great foamy, frothy tan head that yield some runny lace. Unfortunately, I ate some radishes before hand and my mouth is a little confused from that. I do taste some great hop that dominates and yet compliments the caramely malt. Distinct barley wine hop nose. Drank it in a goblet that’s narrow on bottom so beer is translucent there and wide on the top where the beer is almost opaque. Strange effect, good beer!

coldmeat23 (232) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - NOV 23, 2009
Celebrating the Harvest 2007 (It says on label) Pours a deep copper color with a beautiful, deep ruby tint. Looks very nice, when held in front of a light source. About one-finger of loose foam forms on top, then leaves, just almost as quickly. Lacing is thin and light, but still present. This smells like a glass of delicious malty goodness, with a touch of a boozy hint. The maltiness smells like a brewery. You know, when you’re on a tour, and you come to the room where they add the malted grains, and they just added them an hour to two ago. You know that huge, powerful, delicious smell? This beer smells like that. There is also some layers of caramel and toffee, in there. Nice hints of dark fruits. This could be my favorite smelling barleywine, ever. Oh, god, that’s pretty damn tasty stuff. Such a plain looking bottle, hiding something this wonderful inside. Yumm! Just a nice, big-sized, malt-bomb. Not over-the-top, either. Thoroughly smooth. Light notes of dark fruits mingle with notes of caramel and toffee. Slight hints of vanilla. Very mild kiss of hops, right at the end. You almost miss it. All over it, lies a nice, smooth, butterey sweetness, with a hint of spice. Solid medium body. I wish it was a tad bit more full, and this one would be damn near perfect, for me. Nice, smooth and creamy. This is so highly drinkable, to me. I could drink this in place of water, for an extended time, I think. Granted, I might not get much done in that time period, but I’d be happy. And I’d enjoy every drop of it.

IainOg (75) - Virginia, USA - JUN 26, 2010
THE GOOD VERSION: dark ruddy mahogany colour, short beige head with thick lacing, fat legs. wonderfully complex nose with notes of treacle, dark fruit (esp. prune), a subtle, almost honey-like floral quality, dark malt, and a hint of leather. the taste is dark, rich, and malty, with plenty of caramel, and sweet fruit like dried apricot in a supporting role. a full mouthfeel, on the heavy side but in a good way. this is definitely all about the malt, but the hops help to balance things out and give it a finish a bit more dry than expected. excellent and highly recommended. However, I preface all this with THE GOOD VERSION because this is one of only two beers I’ve ever had which’ve given me the wildly variant opinions "this is wretched" and subsequently "this is excellent." THE BAD VERSION had a nose of heavy seaweed, shoyu, and damp earth, and not in a pleasant way, with an odd saltiness in the taste. I’ve heard from others that they’ve had a bad experience with this one, and it may be that bad bottles were not uncommon. hopefully this has been remedied in later years of production. I’ve had no more issues, and am glad I gave this one another shot.