overall
RATINGS: 467   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   IBU: 26   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
The original Extra Pale Ale, this is the one that started it all. Our first brew was introduced in 1989 in Golden Gate style kegs. We have stayed true to our beginnings and still brew it the way we did back then. A bright golden hued ale with a medium body and a crisp spicy /floral hop character and very mild bitterness. This unfiltered ale has a pleasing mouth feel and remains our most popular brew. This beer goes with everything and every occasion.

DocLock (10683) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 10, 2005
Pours gold with medium white lace. Aroma of hopcit. Tastes slightly Belgian triply, with some finishing hopcit.

tiggmtl (4545) - East York, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 17, 2004
Lactic, citrus-lemon yogurt aroma. Clear, pale golden coloured with decent white head that recedes slowly to cover. Lactic, citrus flavours much as the aroma suggests. Fizzy carbonation but texture feels flat. Bottle sampled with Enkerli and others.

SpringsLicker (3639) - Tennessee, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Hazy deep yellow color that supports a tall, thick, white head. Lightly malty aroma. Thin body with a flavor that has an orange aftertaste. Kinda wierd. Not the best Pale Ale out there, but some will like this I guess.

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 20, 2004
Clean fresh hop and malt aroma, a little biscuit on 2nd whiff, intial sweet malt taste, with just a touch of hop aftertaste. Tasted more like a German Pilsner. Aroma was more promising than the taste.

DarkElf (3062) - La Jolla, California, USA - NOV 19, 2004
(12 oz bottle) And here’s another one of these beers that I haven’t had in many, many years, used to think was extremely hoppy back then, and now can’t imagine on what planet this beer would be considered extremely hoppy. In fact, this is a pretty light, fruity beer with a nice balance of a mildly sweet and grainy maltiness coupled with a moderately bitter hoppiness that stays in balance right through to the finish. The nose is grainy, lightly hoppy, with some mild sweetness. Light to medium bodied, but doesn’t seem thin or watery. Medium yellow in color, and fairly cloudy from fine sediment. Small off-white head fades to a sheen. Overall, this is an easy drinker, good when you don’t want anything heavy, which for me, is a rare occurrence!

Terminus (3683) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 2, 2004
12 oz bottle-pours an orange hue with minimal white head-no lacing. lemon citric aroma-acidic sweet lemongrass. Flavors of straw, citric hops, spicy and floral. lots of pale malts. light crisp body that was light in the refreshing way. an average pale.

mribm (462) - Ocala, Florida, USA - OCT 29, 2004
12 oz. Bottle. This beer was more like an unfiltered Belgian ale / hefeweizen, rather than a Pale ale. I hate this bait and switch method that some brewers use. I don’t like either style, so I wouldn’t buy this again. I was looking for a Pale Ale. I did however purchase other Steelhead beers along with this one. I sure hope they are more representative of their styles than this beer was!

ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - OCT 18, 2004
Hazy, pale yellow color. Smells and tastes of banana and wheat(?). This is not what I was expecting when I opened it. It’s a very easy drinking beer but not what I look for in a pale ale.

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - SEP 28, 2004
I overchilled this one, so the head is small and white, and the body is a hazy straw color. The nose is more malt than hop. Nice balance, a little sweet, some nice fruitiness. I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt, due to the overchill, so I may be overrating it.

motelpogo (7704) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - SEP 10, 2004
bottled. very tame and inoffensive. soft grassy, pine aroma, some mango nectar sweetness and not much sign of a finish