RATINGS: 2109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

VVilliam (50) - USA - DEC 3, 2006
Bottled. Poured a medium orange/brown color with medium head. The aroma was a really nice mix of citrus and apricot. The taste was just as delicious with lemon and fruit giving way to mild hops. Just a little bite, no real carbonation, and goes down smooth. Unfortunately, the beer got much less flavorful as I drank it until it was just a waterish beer. I would order it over many other beers.

cheap (6089) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 8, 2007 At the Trivia Pub in Moon, the Majic Hat #9 on tap pours like a clear lager in my glass. Very little detectable aroma. Had a sort of mellon quality in the initial flavor. Hardley any carbonation.No bitter linger but a slightly sour finish. I never thought I’d have the chance to taste this and I’m glad I did.

kevd193213 (992) - Hope Valley, Rhode Island, USA - NOV 29, 2006
Sweet, but tasty. Light brown pour, small white head. Aroma of faint apricots, mild hops. Not bad, but not great either.

surf1284 (91) - USA - NOV 28, 2006
Only magic hat in my recollection. Im not as much into the sweeter beers but this was a good change.

Cornfield (5569) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2006
I read in a recent Zymurgy that this was Magic Hat’s biggest seller. The professional raters got tremendously descriptive of all the beer’s properties. I don’t get it. To me this ale with the pale apricot body smelled like dried apricots and tasted like dried apricots. Not too overly sweet as to be cloying, but apricots start to finish. This might be good on a warm Summer day as a lawnmower beer, but I couldn’t see me drinking it regularly.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Street Market, Raleigh, NC<font size=-1>

505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - NOV 26, 2006
Pours apricot colored, small white head. Aroma is apricots, a pleasent smell, but not much more. Taste is mostly of apricots, not too much else. Relatively thin. A tasty refreshing apricot beer, but not too complex. Might be nice on a hot summer day? Shucks, too bad it’s a cold November night.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - NOV 19, 2006
12oz bottle via trade with 46er3498 - thanks Tom! - Pours amber with a short white head that didn’t stay long. Aromas of apricots, some yeast, and light grains. Flavor is apricot dominated, but there is some caramel and a touch of toffee there at times too. Light airy palate. Very fruity. Not too bad as fruit beers go.

mansquito (6914) - Nueva York, New York, USA - OCT 31, 2006
So far this was my favourite of the Magic Hat beers that I have tried (Hocus Pocus and Circus Boy). It is a nice crisp beer. Didn’t get too offended by the apricot flavour as I do with some other beers. Definately worth a drink or two or three. The label is hanging in my beer collage as 999.

1.3
KukinskyG (4) - Chesapeake, Virginia, USA - OCT 30, 2006 does not count
This was sheer treachery- almsot painful to drink it was so horrible- purchased a 12 pack sampler on a trip this past week and tried this and one other and threw the entire rest in the trash can. By far the worst beer I have ever had in 43 years of drinking. Someone lied to these people-

AlKHall (161) - West Hartford, Connecticut, USA - OCT 27, 2006
Very interesting flavor. Mostly apricots and peaches. Golden appearance a little syrupy and sweet. Not bad, but not smtg to drink too much of....