RATINGS: 2105   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

theshocker (329) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - AUG 25, 2006
Straw-colored, large white head with huge bubbles fades quickly. Citrus, spice in the nose. Fruity flavor. Rasperry, lemon, grapefruit. Crisp, lager-like. Dry. Fairly enjoyable, great on a hot afternoon.

shintriad (701) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 25, 2006
Like many tasters noted, there’s an apricot or pear presence in the nose and flavour, but I found it somewhat artificial and soapy. The dry fruit taste and sudsy palate just wasn’t working for me on this night. Disappointing.

Casteel420 (59) - Bristol, Virginia, USA - AUG 23, 2006
(bottle) Aroma almost knocked me over or gave me a headache. It tastes more like a fruit beer than a pale ale, with definite apricot-citrus overtones. Overall, a decent beer that I wouldn’t want to drink too much of.

skippapotamus (29) - USA - AUG 23, 2006
on tap at Mellow Mushroom, Raleigh. Deep gold, intense aroma but not too strong. Nice flavor, complex, but was hard to pick out much individually.

bisgute (5) - USA - AUG 23, 2006 does not count
Good but not great. I don’t really see what all the fuss is about. I can’t even really taste the apricots that much. It is definitely more like a lager to me.

brigg (692) - New York, USA - AUG 21, 2006
(bottle) Hazy golden orange body with a airy white head that diminishes fairly quickly. Aroma is powerful - I thought oranges and then raspberries, but the bottle says "brewed with the essence of apricots", and maybe that’s it. Hops are also present in the aroma. Up to this point everything was good, but I was very disappointed when I took a sip. Not as sweet as I expected, slightly bitter, but overall devoid of any real flavor. It was also very thin on the palate.

optemoz (171) - Apex, North Carolina, USA - AUG 21, 2006
Bottled -Tried this.. its my 1st Magic Hat brew.. and let me just say I HATE APRICOT BEERS!! not a good mix.. why the hell is it so popular? anyways.. smells and tastes of apricots. with a slight hop finish.. not getting this again

HopBackDoc (474) - Hatboro, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 20, 2006
On tap at The Cabana in Cape May, NJ. Poured a clear amber with minimal head. Aroma of hops, fruit and yeast. Very interesting flavor -- had a good hop presence but not piney, a malt sweetness mixed with apricots. Very refreshing and really a unique taste, quite satisfying. I’ll definitely get this again.

patrick767 (4063) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - AUG 17, 2006
bottle - Pours orangish with a thin head. The aroma is of apricots and a little malt. Yep, this seems to be another apricot beer. It’s my second, and left me more convinced that apricot is not a flavor that typically goes well with beer. What you’ve got is a too thin beer with apricots (extract?) thrown in the mix. It finishes crisp and I suppose refreshing, but I’m just not into the flavor and thinness.

SHIG (4962) - Wasilla, Alaska, USA - AUG 14, 2006
Murky orangish light brown in color with white head. Smell is sweet and fruity, very pleasant. Taste is nutty, grainy malt, that leaves a great all around flavor in its path.