RATINGS: 2113   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

JFURYCAT (1078) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 11, 2005
This is one of my favorite of the Magic Hat offerings. I like the apricot-like flavor and my only disapointment with it is it could use more hops. It makes for easy drinking though.

ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 11, 2005
Not at all bad pale(?); fairly complex for the style and quite quaffible; crispy palate with a nice balance.

thedm (6319) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JUL 10, 2005
This bottled brew poured a large sized head of foamy finely sized mostly lasting bubbles. The body contained very soft carbonation, was transparent and yellow orange in color. Its aroma contained notes of mild floral malts. Its mouth feel is initially tingly with a lingering aftertaste. Its flavor contained mild fruity apricot bitter hoppy notes.

intheric (20) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 9, 2005
Amber orange color. Very crisp and refreshing. A summer beer only in my very humble opinion. This one is just weird for the sake of being weird, like a French Art Movie.

tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 9, 2005
Amber color with a thin head. Aroma of wheat and apricots. Funky, sour fruity flavors with notes of wheat and a little hops. Texture is a little grainy. Just a strange concotion that didn’t really do much for me.

murawski (160) - USA - JUL 6, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2005 Nice amber-orange color with a slightly unfiltered appearance, poured with little head. Slight fruity, apricot aroma that continues into the flavor -- not too much, though. A good alternative to summer wheat beers.

cjw163 (109) - hummelstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 1, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2007 This was by far one of the best beers I’ve had in a long time. Beautiful carmal color, with a nice taste with a small hint of some fruity flavoring.

TomDecapolis (4636) - Milton, Delaware, USA - JUN 29, 2005
Had this on draft at a Houlihans. Served very cold with no head. Golden orange in color. Little to no carbonation. A slight sweat aroma. Heavy apricot flavor with a slight hop and malt feel. Very refreshing but served too cold, I think I may have missed a bit of the true flavor and aroma. I could see how this beer could do very well in the mainstream though. Nothing too offensive and it goes down very easy. I have had many #9’s in bottles in the past and this draft did not hold up to the ones I had in bottles (but that was prior to me starting to really rate beers). I think I need to have another bottles that is not as cold as this draft was to really give it an honest review. Dogfish Heads ApriHop blows this away though.

KarmanGhia (276) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUN 22, 2005
This pours a caramel with a white head and the nose is very fuity and perhaps yeasty. The first thing that strikes you about this beer is that it is uniquely fruity upfront with apricots and perhaps a cherry hint. there’s only a mild bitterness, and the finish is a very nice but slightly musky yeastiness. Overall this could pass as a very good pale ale - i.e. the fruit is not overbearing and it tastes like a real beer.

1FastSTi (3358) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 22, 2005
Sampled on tap at RFD Washington. It pours to a fully lasting medium thickness white head with excellent lacing. The body is a golden color. The aroma is very hoppy and perfumey. Very good aroma. Very strong aroma. The flavor is herbal, floral, and perfumey hops. Rich caramel malts. I’ve tasted nothing like this before. VERY delicious. The palate has a medium mouthfeel that’s very rich and creamy. Sweet and delicious, glad I tried it.