RATINGS: 2243   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

skisangelo (60) - Collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 28, 2005
Magic Hat is one of my favorite brewing companies. This is their signature beer and a good choice. A very enjoyable beer to drink.

FROTHINGSLOSH (7796) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 27, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2011 Sampled this one on draft at Zeno’s in State College, PA. It poured a medium gold color with a small white head. There was a light sweet fruity aroma. The flavor was dry apricot with light malt notes underneath and a dry almost seed like flavor on the finish. Much dryer than I would have expected given the style and aroma. A pleasant beer overall and one I would get again.

swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 26, 2005
This is Magic Hat’s signature beer, a beautiful golden color with a nice spicy aroma. The taste is very appealing, a slight crispness, this is a good session beer.

wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Draught at the brewery. Golden, light brown in color with a small white head. Aroma is very bitte, with a hint of fruit. Flavor is similar, slightly thin, with a good dose of raspberry in finish. More like a hoppy golden ale with fruit than a fruit beer.

sirchris (42) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 21, 2005
Pleasant light amber in appearance. White head diminishes fairly quickly. A light, thin body, but flavorful. There is a hint of fruit. Overall I find this to be a very refreshing beer.

jtw (1163) - farmington, Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2005
this is called a fruit beer? except for that it smells like a pilsner with half of a green apple jolly rancher dissolved in it, i wouldn’t call it fruit. sort of artificial-feeling anyway. more apple and peach/pear in the body, and although it’s quite refreshing it’s not particularly good.

jefcon (1858) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - MAR 18, 2005
Kind of a reddish-ale color, with a sustained rocky head. Aromas are wheat and hops accompanied by a light raspberry. The flavors are similar, but disappointed me by not meshing very well. The beer is short of a lively carbonation and a bit thin. My biggest complement is how the brewers have prevented the beer from taking on the sickly sweetness of other fruit beers. This is a nice, dry brew.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - MAR 17, 2005
Poured a clear copper color with a thin white head. Aroma of dried apricot and a touch of raspberry. I also get some notes of cooked pasta. Flavor is a little fruity leaning toward the tart side, caramel, and bitter middle and finish. Light body.

MullMan (1099) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - MAR 17, 2005
light amber/golden color, light tan head. lemony grassy hoppy aroma and flavor, slight maltyness too. it’s funny, I had no idea what style this was going in, and thought the bartender rimmed my glass with lemon without asking. I didn’t get the apricot, but I’ll go with it.

valejo (81) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - MAR 17, 2005
Huh? Huh? This beer is weird and I don’t think I like it. The taste is very fruity. Peach, maybe? Other folks have suggested apricot. either way, this is probably an acquired taste that I have no interest in developing.