RATINGS: 2109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUN 1, 2004
This is like eating a bucket of buttered popcorn, whew! Lots of apricot in the aroma, even when the bottle is first popped. Slightly overwhelming. This is like eating a piece of white bread toast with lots of butter and apricot jam, not cloying our sour, but definitely over the top. As the cap says, ’you can win, if you can grin.’

JoeM500 (1909) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - JUN 1, 2004
Hazy orange. fast rising bubble and lively white head. Sea salt and dry apricot nose. Very fruity throughout, dry at the back of my throat. Some strange bitter and sour notes wrestled at the finish. I also found some strange rotten-like flavor lurking in the finish.

skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 31, 2004
nice lacing - apricot blast. Nice complex nose to match. Buttery all the way!

pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 28, 2004
12 oz bottle at Tom’s 30th in New Haven. This is an improvement over the earlier Coronas. Mildly hopped, modest body, hint of apricots?

Mads Langtved (2240) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - MAY 21, 2004
This apricot ale is a bit artificial. Tastes of iron. A sweet taste, but not like beer. More like soda.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 14, 2004
Dan, Thanks for sending me the collection of Magic Hat, Great Trade!

Pours a copper colored body and a bountiful, fluffy, frothy white head. The aroma is very fruity.. mostly apricots and peach... I was not expecting this at all. I take a swig… yep, more peach and apricot, a tangy hoppy bite in the finish, some malty notes of toasted wheat bread. The palate is medium, and boy, this beer leaves tons of lacing along the glass. This was a pretty good…. Oh, I thought it was a fruit beer after sampling it, but I was under the impression before hand that it was an APA for some reason…

sloth (2936) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - MAY 10, 2004
Medium sized white head, good retention and lace spattered all over. Clear light copper color. Flowery, fruity nose of apricots, nice. Med/light body. clean apricot flavor with a hint of malt. A nice fruit ale. Its no Aprihop, but its a decent brew.

ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2007 Hazy orange color with a medium sized white head. Aroma is of Apricots and Peaches. and made me expect a tart flavor. This is a light bodied beer, with a light, fizzy feel. The flavor is slighlty nutty and fruity, with a strong apricot flavor. Hops flavors are present but subdued. Short finish. Intense carbonation detracts from the mouthfeel.

Re-rate 9/13/2007: Not much to add, my notes were very similar to the rating above, the score virtually identical.

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - MAY 4, 2004
A grade above ho hum. There was a time that I would buy apricot nectar and mix with carbonated mineral water ... Not bad, not terrible, but makes me wonder how it can be so prevalent. Okay, now I remember how widespread BMC is .. okay beer. Maybe if I was really hot and didn’t want a "real" beer.

Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 2, 2004
Very nice light summery beer. The ratings are based as "on-tap". Bottled version tastes stale and old comparitively speaking. A higher apricot presence than Dogfish heads aprihop, but overall not as good. Could only drink one or two of these before I had to move on...