RATINGS: 2244   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
benclarkiii (73) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 19, 2007
I only had one pint of this but I couldn’t get myself to try another. Maybe the sampling I had was skunky, but I found no balance in this beer at all. Too much fruit or spice. Overall disappointing.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
swedishfish (29) - Bristol, Rhode Island, USA - APR 24, 2007
Fruity. Eh. Ok. Nothing to make you say woooh this is good. But it was a light fruity beer. I’d have it again I played beiruit with this and was fine. The fizz on my tounge felt funny and the coloar was apricoty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 29, 2007
Pale golden color with a light head. Aroma of peach, apricot and berries. Taste has some berry and summer fruit, but really tastes grainy and cheap. Drain pour. Magic Hat beers just always seem sloppy and in poor form to me. I would like to see something better from them.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
lampeno420 (320) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - AUG 21, 2007
ehh. another one i shouldve read before grabbing. unique at best, but very overpowering with the apricot. i dont know if that was the greatest choice to pair with a pale ale, but a good idea at the least. i just might not be a fan of apricot, and surely am not of #9. wouldn’t mind trying some other Magic Hats though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 26, 2007
I picked this up at Brew&Brew in North Ridgeville, OH while visiting family and looking for things I couldn’t get at home. And in this particular case, I can’t say I’m upset that this beer is not available in my town...I wouldn’t buy it if it was. Appearance is a dark gold color, maybe like you’d expect from a really full-bodied lager. Head was thin and not persistent. Aroma was lightly hoppy, a bit fruity, but cereal is really what dominates here. Flavor is a weird graininess followed by some off fruity esters. I’m not a fan. Careful examination of the label reveals that this is a "flavored IPA." Additional examination yields that this beer has apricot flavor, which I did not detect. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and unpleasant. I would not recommend this beer. The enjoy-by date stamped into my label was Mar 2008 (a good 3 months past when I drank it)...I am grateful that Magic Hat provided me with this date.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
moseslikesbeer (183) - conestoga, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 12, 2008
bottle. this beer is not for me. I don’t like fruit much esp. Apricot and this beer is big on Apricot. Smells of Apricot and tastes like it too. having said this if Apricot beer is your thing than you are in luck. It also has a watery taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
idbowman82 (62) - Painesville, Ohio, USA - FEB 16, 2008
Pours very hazy and amber/gold in color. Very little head that dissipates almost immediately. The aroma is pretty straightforward: hops and apricot. The taste is about the same...malty with apricot. There is virtually no depth, and there is so little malt/hop in the actual taste that I found myself thinking i was tasting dried apricots soaked in a low-concentration rubbing alcohol. Not enjoyable, and certainly not something I’d recommend.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
BeerBaron617 (358) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUN 9, 2008
I just bought the summer variety pack, and i actually found that all of them were quite watery. Number 9 in particular left a weird aftertaste, which leaves me to believe that i got a bad batch, but at the same time, all of the beer in the box was of lower quality. I don’t think i will be buying this, or any other beer from Magic Hat again.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
mhelgason (495) - Salem, Oregon, USA - AUG 5, 2008
on tap. small fizzy off-white head that dissapated quickly. aromas of passion fruit/apricot? (not good). flavor is moderately sweet throughout. moderate finish duration. overall not good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
garthicus (2920) - Dublin, IRELAND - NOV 30, 2008
Appearance: Amber ale, light orange, some carbonation, small head. Aroma: Somewhat fruity nose,Flavour: an unpleasant dusty flavour, some slight pumpkin notes. Not enjoyable.