RATINGS: 2243   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Apricot flavouring
A Beer Cloaked in Secrecy An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A beer brewed clandestinely and given a name whose meaning is never revealed. Why #9? Why, indeed. A sort of dry, crisp, fruity, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there’s never been anything else quite like it. Fermented with our 150 year old strain of top-fermenting English yeast.

LooseCannon (938) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - OCT 18, 2006
Hazy Amber color with a small white head. Fruity aroma and taste with a peachy after taste

NateDawg (12) - Arlington, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 23, 2003
I'm not a fruit beer fan, I'll state that up front...unless we're talking Krieks and lambics. Since Magic Hat thinks they're beyond cool (one of the guys used to be a graphic designer) and don't have to give the consumer any idea what it is that they're buying (the labels don't say this is a pale ale w/ apricot...it's all pseudo-hip, zen stuff), I was duped. The beer itself tasted OK as far as I could tell, but then the cloying aftertaste of apricots hit my tongue and I had to struggle to finish the bottle. The fact that I had had Thai for dinner didn't help. Once or twice since, I've given #9 another chance and have decided that it needs to be 86'ed.

MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JAN 30, 2004
I'd heard about this beer for a long time before I had it. Why the heck do people seek out this beer? This sucks. Light cider-gold. Nose lagerish, but a bit skunky, a bit of a sour breadiness to it. Flavor is just a fascinating combination of medicine and apricots, like some kind of kid's cough medicine brewed up in a dingy pharmacy somewhere. Should be called Magic Hat #2, as "number two" would be an appropriate description.

wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUN 4, 2004
Nasty apricots on nasty toasted white bread. Deep gold body. Moderately sweet flavor becomes a lightly sweet, lightly bitter. No no no. Medium body, oily texture, lively carbonation. The bottom line is: ack.

maltdog (626) - New Mexico, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Gold, very clear, large fast bubbles form a wispy head head with no retention. Light creamy apricot aroma with the barest undercurrent of nutty malt. Nearly flavorless; white bread soaked in water, hints of apricot and flowers. Sharp carbonation and dry crisp finish. Watery palate. Faint artificial peach flavor aftertaste. Overall, this is a completely pointless as beer, and hardly qualifies as flavored water. A beverage fit for babies and girly-men.

Boutip (6374) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 13, 2004
Bottle: Poured orangey color ale with almost no head or carbonation. Aroma is quite weak but I can distinguish some sweet fruity flavour and some malt. Taste is almost indescribable, like a mix between some poorly grown apricot (lacking flavour and sweetness) and malt that doesn’t do any favour to this mix. Like all fruit beer, they can be a wonderful experience when correctly balanced or a complete disaster when things go wrong, such as this case was. Almost needs to wonder if this was a bad bottle.

bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - NOV 22, 2005
i had only heard of this beer, living on the west coast. i was eager to try it when i went to boston. surprisingly many bars/pubs have it on draft. poured light golden brown with little to no head. nose of musty fruits of apricots and apples. mouth pushes the same with a week backbone of maltor wheat and flat hops. thin and weak. what a horrible beer and disapointment. why the hell do they sell this crap? engine engine #9, you suck bro!

benclarkiii (73) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 19, 2007
I only had one pint of this but I couldn’t get myself to try another. Maybe the sampling I had was skunky, but I found no balance in this beer at all. Too much fruit or spice. Overall disappointing.

swedishfish (29) - Bristol, Rhode Island, USA - APR 24, 2007
Fruity. Eh. Ok. Nothing to make you say woooh this is good. But it was a light fruity beer. I’d have it again I played beiruit with this and was fine. The fizz on my tounge felt funny and the coloar was apricoty.

JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 29, 2007
Pale golden color with a light head. Aroma of peach, apricot and berries. Taste has some berry and summer fruit, but really tastes grainy and cheap. Drain pour. Magic Hat beers just always seem sloppy and in poor form to me. I would like to see something better from them.