RATINGS: 766   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Hi.P.A. is a medium-bodied groove with a fresh and fruitful nose of tympanic temptation. It begins and ends with a big hop bite that is itself forever balanced on the brink by a steady rhythm of malt. Dry-hopped for extra quenching in the face of heat and beat, it’s an ideal accompaniment to chilling out, turning inward or sailing onward through the music of the night toward the dawn of the mind. It’s the liquid way to say be here now lest you never come this way again.

dsm (109) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 13, 2008
Draft at Bedrock in Baltimore. I liked the citrus and grapefruit tastes in this one, but it was much less hoppy than I thought it would be. I would definitely have it again though.

FridgRaider (108) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 13, 2006
Reddish brown color, with white head. good balance hops and malts. not much after taste. kinda watered down i think.

snowtiger (107) - Brighton, Colorado, USA - MAY 22, 2005
Tasting it a little after its prime (probably). Aroma is pleasant, but not very hoppy with some subdued malt. Most of the Columbus character is gone. It pours a beautiful clear dark golden color. The taste is ok, with some hops and malt, and it finishes pleasant and dry. I wish I had tried this beer much earlier.

SwillNoMore (105) - USA - MAR 9, 2007
Bottle, from Duvel tulip, at cellar temp. Best through Jun ’07. Clear golden amber color, nice white head leaves a light ring. This one was a shocker. As I poured it, I thought I detected a skunkiness. But this didn’t make sense for an IPA. I didn’t put two and two together when I read the name "HiPA." ("High," get it? Huh-huh.) I just thought it was Magic Hat being quirky again. After sticking my nose in the glass, the name suddenly made sense: this stuff smells like marijuana! This isn’t necessarily shocking, since humulus (hops) and cannabis are related, but that relationship is immediately apparent in this beer, in a way I’ve never experienced. Having been an herbal aficionado in my past, this beer sent memories flooding back (it’s been many years since I’ve partaken). I can’t help but give this aroma the highest rating. Sadly, the mouthfeel shows only a hint of the oiliness I love so much in hoppy beers. Considering the aroma, I’d have liked a much more "resinous" palate. It’s fairly light bodied and thin, but the carbonation is just right, and keeps the palate from being dull. Flavor shows a slight sweetness in the foundation, but bitter is the order of the day here. Finishes dry; almost astringent. This would be a new favorite for the aroma alone; luckily, it’s a damn good drinker as well.

daniellunsford (105) - - NOV 12, 2012
Pineapple and citrus on the nose. Pours a golden orange with little head. Fresh light pine on the palate with a touch of bitter hops on the finish. I nice light ipa, very sessionable even at 6%abv.

bboven (103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - MAY 24, 2007
I really like this ipa; i just wish I could get more than the three in the joe’s sampler pack. One of my top three IPAs.

RIXbeer (102) - USA - AUG 22, 2005
Huge citrus hops. Great mouth feel. I’ve had 5...should I have another? Pouring into glass.....huge head....orangish color (as I hold on eye closed) Another hit from magic hat! a pretty good IPA from South Burlingotn once again!

michaeltrego (101) - Amherst, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 12, 2004
Very very bitter IPA that is thrown out of balance because of it. Good for about a 6-8 oz try, but hard to go for more.

BrewIPA (93) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 19, 2011
Pours a hazy gold with pleasant aroma, hints of citrus. Medium bitter, very well balanced. A wonderful IPA that I plan to buy again.

schlitzfaced (92) - Ohio, USA - AUG 23, 2013
poured from bottle out of ""night of the living dead variety pack". yellow hazy color with thin white head. Aroma is light hops with dry lemon taste. Not the big Hop bite I was looking for. Not bad, just so so. Love a lot of other Magic Hat stuff.