RATINGS: 254   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Red Irish rising, sweet loam of the moor, Slowly, so slowly we watch the art of the pour. Born of the gas whose molecules dance. Born of the flow of a dense liquid trance Feeding the head, feeding the heart Humble Patience is the place we start How long is the ride? How traveled the road? What do we bring to lighten the load? Humble Patience is the thing The ripe revelation that waiting will bring, Humble Patience... How long does it take for soon to be now? OUR IRISH-STYLE ALE POURS SLOWLY, ITS DARK GARNET-RED COLOR CASCADING INTO A RICH, THICK, CREAMY HEAD THAT WILL MAKE YOU WEEP WITH JOY.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 2, 2002
I think Magic Hat is cool. Slightly off the beaten path, and willing to take a risk or two. Bob’s 1st is more or less an irish red ale, but the american hops lend a unique bitterness that finishes long, with enough malty body to balance it out. I was getting a slight roasty feel from this, along with perhaps a small amount of spice, maybe nutmeg. Complexity is there. I’m hearing rumors that MH is going to phase this out. Seems like a shame, considering it’s one of their better brews. Best at room temperature, in my opinion.

Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 26, 2002
Deep ruby-garnett hue. Small beige head. Sweet, grassy, nose. Tons of malt first, medium bodied, kinda thin in the middle. Bittering hops in the lingering finish. A decent brew. Nice malt backbone supporting a delectable brew.

Nate (4279) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Malty with a hint of licorice and chocolate. Very little hops. Clear ruby-brown red. No head. Kind of bland. A little bitterness. Med-heavy carb, medium watery body. Nothing special.

Wilecat (66) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Excellent.Wondefull taste, one of my favorite beers from magic hat

notalush (5878) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 2, 2002
One of my favorite magic hats. Interesting mix of flavors with a nice, chocolate finish. It does have a very strange mouthfeel, but it’s one that grows on you. It is really like no other beer out there. However, every once and a while the I get a bottle with an unusual level of bitterness, which makes me lower the rating a little.

apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 30, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2003 Cocoa undertones, beautiful dark amber color, mediocore head, slightly bitter aftertaste. Really nice flavor, though, and this is certainly one of my favorite beers. Jan. 26, 2003: OK. I've changed my mind. This is NOT one of my favorite beers anymore. It's been months since I've last had this, and I'm not really sure what I saw in it. It has a great, dry finish, and some pleasant cocoa/nuttiness in the flavor, but it is a little thin. For an Irish ale it is pretty decent: malty and woody and smokey, but it is not inventive or particularly striking.

mribm (462) - Ocala, Florida, USA - AUG 16, 2002
Looks like Coca Cola, but tastes like chocolate and hops. I would have liked more malt and less hops, however it was still a fine combination. Also, the mouthfeel was a bit strange as others here have said.

GregL40 (97) - Massachusetts, USA - AUG 15, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2003 Smooth down the hatch. New flavor appears with each sip. Beautiful appearance. Leaves a grin from ear to ear. Re Rate: Don’t know what I was thinking last time. I don’t even like Irish Red Ales.

ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 12, 2002
I largely agree with arjan, it has an odd mouthfeel that i dont overly care for. The aroma is quite nice with a mix of malt and spice. The taste is malty, which in general I love, but not so much in this beer. Not very smooth, its not bad, but I cant recomend it.

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 31, 2002
Dry hopped to hell and back. Nice complex malts make this a treat.