RATINGS: 505   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Allow us to introduce Roxy Rolles, She’s our beautiful new Seasonale. A delicious bottle of bold for the cold. A free-wheeling spin on the classic American Amber is filled with caramelized malts and spicy hops that fire your inner cylinders.

ChadPolenz (1847) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - MAR 27, 2010
I’d like to think I’m a beer connoisseur at this point, and while I may have high standards I’m definitely not that discriminating of a drinker that I can detect all the intricate details of a beer on taste alone. Magic Hat Roxy Rolles Amber Ale is a good example as this, since it’s an absolutely delicious beer, although I think I may like it for a reason that is untrue.

POUR, COLOR AND AROMA

Roxy Rolles pours quite smoothly and forms a very thick, off-white, foamy head which dissipates extremely slowly and coats the entire glass in lacing. The body is a beautiful shade of medium red and amber. In fact, it’s actually difficult to distinguish whether this beer is more of a red or orange color. It’s crystal clear and carbonation is definitely noticeable.

Special mention should be made to the aroma as it is quite possibly the best-smelling beer I have ever encountered. Roxy Rolles has a strong scent of flowers and fruit even when the glass is held at a distance. I attributed the floral notes to the hops, but the fruitiness alone is something I rarely notice in a beer’s scent.

TASTE

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – there’s just nothing quite as pleasing as taking the first swig of a beer and knowing it will be a 5-star brew on the first tasting. Roxy Rolles is the kind of beer that only Magic Hat could pull off. The bottle describes it as “a hoppy amber ale” which I initially took to mean a strong Irish Red but this is much more reminiscent of an India Pale Ale.

Much like the aroma, the taste here is bursting with hops and a strong fruit component. It wasn’t tart enough to be citrus and not tangy like cranberry, could it possibly be strawberry? Having scoured the internet and read other critic’s reviews I noticed none mentioned strawberry as a taste component but I swear I can detect it here. Grapefruit is a very likely ingredient, as this beer has a strong, delicious, lip-smacking taste that is a joy to drink.

This is not a gimmicky beer, either, as its strong hoppy characteristics are quite notable. In fact, the beer has almost a slightly salty taste not unlike an IPA (and could be the only aspect of this beer that requires appreciation to enjoy).

FINISH

I’ve yet to find a Magic Hat brew that is NOT drinker-friendly. Most of their beers tend to have a juicy quality to them and a soft mouthfeel. This is true of Roxy Rolles and it also finishes very smooth despite its hoppy component. Perhaps the best way to describe it would be an “IPA Lite”.

BODY

Considering its light, fruity taste and its fairly light body at only 5.1% ABV Roxy Rolles is probably more of a summer than a winter brew and yet it’s Magic Hat’s winter “seasonale.” After three bottles I felt perfectly content and not overwhelmed. I wish more winter beers were this light.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I’m still amazed at the high quality of Magic Hat’s Roxy Rolles Amber Ale, especially considering it’s intended to be a winter brew. It’s nice to have such a tasty, easy-to-drink, light-on-your system winter beer that anyone can enjoy.

NOTE: watch the video versions of this review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGOBvprKi7M (original)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Ejgrv5Lhs (re-review)

ivan9856 (192) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - FEB 25, 2010
I sampled a 12 oz. bottle. This is a bit of a "one trick pony," "hop bomb." The beer itself is a clear and deep amber with a wonderful, large, rocky light tan head that left fantastic lacing. The aroma is nearly all hops. It’s fairly light-bodied (Pale, Crystal, Caramunich malt bill), with a touch of nutty character behind the copious and lingering hop flavor (40 IBP).

basspro76 (426) - New York, USA - FEB 22, 2010
Drank from the bottle out of a 6 pack. Aroma is earthy and fruity. Taste is of malts, slight citrus and a dry finish. Would like this beer more if the aftertaste had a little more flavor.

AmyGinger (43) - USA - FEB 22, 2010
Nice aroma, very crisp. Nice reddish color upon pour but i thought the flavor was very poor. The hop/malt mixture didnt blend well at all for me in this one

bhensonb (15756) - Woodland, California, USA - FEB 15, 2010
Bottle from ericandersnavy. Pours dark amber with a slight beige head. Aroma of smooth roast caramel. Medium body with foamy carbonation. Flavor is darkly smooth roast caramel, and there’s some earthy/spicey hop that turns this into something other than an average amber. A bit malty for me,but a good drink.

beernovice39 (3269) - Idaho, USA - FEB 9, 2010
this is not bad, just not great.. Decent flavo and balance just not alot of depth. Probably will try again.

Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 1, 2010
Thanks to my Secret Santa for this beer. Pours a muddy dark brownish with small head and good lacing. Great fresh hop nose with some malt and orange peel notes. Flavor is a malty flavor pop of hops. Crisp and clean with a somewhat bitter hop finish....I like it.

beersearcher (2383) - Glendale, California, USA - JAN 24, 2010
pours a dark orange/brown. pretty hazy too. very malty with some sweetness to it. nice hop bitterness. almost a cross between an amber and an IPA.

kramer (6905) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2010
12 oz bottle. Pours a clear dark copper to orange body with a small fizzy off-white head that fell to a thin covering. Sweet and toasty malt nose with a bit of metallic hops and burnt caramel. Toasted and slightly grainy malt base with a moderate hopping leaving a leafy lingering bitterness. Medium bodied with fizzy prickly carbonation. A little lingering huskiness. About the quality that I expect from Magic Hat, rarely wowed, but usually decent.

Mora2000 (6158) - McKinney, Texas, USA - JAN 11, 2010
Pours an amber red with a white head. First whiff is of hops, but then you get malt which makes me think it will be a nice balanced beer. This is definitely a hoppier amber ale, with a nice hop flavor (maybe grapefruits) but also enough malt to make it balanced. I know that American Amber/Red Ale is somewhat of a catch-all term, but this is what I want when I drink a beer of this style. This beer is very drinkable and goes down smooth. Great beer.