RATINGS: 505   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Allow us to introduce Roxy Rolles, She’s our beautiful new Seasonale. A delicious bottle of bold for the cold. A free-wheeling spin on the classic American Amber is filled with caramelized malts and spicy hops that fire your inner cylinders.

ChadPolenz (1847) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - MAR 27, 2010
I’d like to think I’m a beer connoisseur at this point, and while I may have high standards I’m definitely not that discriminating of a drinker that I can detect all the intricate details of a beer on taste alone. Magic Hat Roxy Rolles Amber Ale is a good example as this, since it’s an absolutely delicious beer, although I think I may like it for a reason that is untrue.

POUR, COLOR AND AROMA

Roxy Rolles pours quite smoothly and forms a very thick, off-white, foamy head which dissipates extremely slowly and coats the entire glass in lacing. The body is a beautiful shade of medium red and amber. In fact, it’s actually difficult to distinguish whether this beer is more of a red or orange color. It’s crystal clear and carbonation is definitely noticeable.

Special mention should be made to the aroma as it is quite possibly the best-smelling beer I have ever encountered. Roxy Rolles has a strong scent of flowers and fruit even when the glass is held at a distance. I attributed the floral notes to the hops, but the fruitiness alone is something I rarely notice in a beer’s scent.

TASTE

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – there’s just nothing quite as pleasing as taking the first swig of a beer and knowing it will be a 5-star brew on the first tasting. Roxy Rolles is the kind of beer that only Magic Hat could pull off. The bottle describes it as “a hoppy amber ale” which I initially took to mean a strong Irish Red but this is much more reminiscent of an India Pale Ale.

Much like the aroma, the taste here is bursting with hops and a strong fruit component. It wasn’t tart enough to be citrus and not tangy like cranberry, could it possibly be strawberry? Having scoured the internet and read other critic’s reviews I noticed none mentioned strawberry as a taste component but I swear I can detect it here. Grapefruit is a very likely ingredient, as this beer has a strong, delicious, lip-smacking taste that is a joy to drink.

This is not a gimmicky beer, either, as its strong hoppy characteristics are quite notable. In fact, the beer has almost a slightly salty taste not unlike an IPA (and could be the only aspect of this beer that requires appreciation to enjoy).

FINISH

I’ve yet to find a Magic Hat brew that is NOT drinker-friendly. Most of their beers tend to have a juicy quality to them and a soft mouthfeel. This is true of Roxy Rolles and it also finishes very smooth despite its hoppy component. Perhaps the best way to describe it would be an “IPA Lite”.

BODY

Considering its light, fruity taste and its fairly light body at only 5.1% ABV Roxy Rolles is probably more of a summer than a winter brew and yet it’s Magic Hat’s winter “seasonale.” After three bottles I felt perfectly content and not overwhelmed. I wish more winter beers were this light.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I’m still amazed at the high quality of Magic Hat’s Roxy Rolles Amber Ale, especially considering it’s intended to be a winter brew. It’s nice to have such a tasty, easy-to-drink, light-on-your system winter beer that anyone can enjoy.

NOTE: watch the video versions of this review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGOBvprKi7M (original)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Ejgrv5Lhs (re-review)

Blackbarrel (116) - new york, New York, USA - DEC 18, 2006
This is a favorite. the reddest of reds. superb lacing unde a moderate head. Pulses with lemon and hoppy new cut grass, ginger and spice. still snorting the bottle hours later.

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 11, 2008
Deep brown. Grapefruit? first scent. Syrupy molasses, fruity. Awesome smelling beer. Nice bitterness to the taste which only accents the aroma. Warming and delightful. Slightly sweet. Very very nice. I am surprised by how much I like this one. I am not a big amber fan. I would venture to say that this is my favorite one.

stef92 (129) - Williamstown, New Jersey, USA - JAN 9, 2009
Poured dark amber color with tan head that holds up through the whole glass. Produces nice lacing in the glass. Hoppy and well balanced. My favorite Magic Hat beer as well as my favorite Winte Seasonal!!!

JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - NOV 9, 2006
This beer pours a glorious amber with a big, fluffy white head. Stong scent of pine with some tangerine wafts towards my nose. Crisp caramel malt flavor is nicely balanced with a strong hoppiness with a bitter finish. Very refreshing, kind of a less hoppy nugget nectar.

Braudog (6833) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - NOV 11, 2006
Bottle: Very dark red that’s nice and shiny if you hold it up to a bright light. Big airy head. Nice big sexy hoppy aroma ... I want to dive in. Yummy ... nice dirty, grapey hoppiness predominates this delicious brew. Big piney component. I want to take this one camping in the fall ... excellent.

caresville (106) - Vernon, New Jersey, USA - AUG 19, 2009
i had bought that seasonal 12 pack with a bunch of different kinds of magic hat and i had had all of them except this one. it was worth the wait, this is the best magic hat i have ever tasted. i drank it out of the bottle cause i was already drunk but i remember this spicy bitterness that was so unique and it was very hoppy. smelled of all different kinds of tropical fruits but kept that woody, forresty IPA smell. this is good stuff, i cant wait until i can have some more and thats hopefully soon since its seasonal.

psuCE03 (135) - York, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Has a nice dark red color and had a nice lace the whole way down the glass. Had a good spicy hop taste and held the head much better than other Majic Hat beers.

bbp182 (255) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 11, 2007
This beer was surprising, I didn’t know what to expect, but when I smelled the great aroma, and saw the amber color of it, I knew I was in for a surprise, and I was. This was a great flavorful beer.

williamherbert (1544) - Syracuse, New York, USA - AUG 26, 2009
Uber-cloudy, rose-colored and thick. Finger of pillowy head. Murky and gritty. Color of a grenadine. The smell is severe: gritty and spicy barley malt with a woody, oaky, pine-tinged hop. Heavy and brutal, especially for Magic Hat. The resin is extreme. The taste is gritty and bitter. Major, woody hop. Hops completely dominate this brew. Cut grass; simcoe hops. Some minor toasted malts. Malts are of the English variety. The relative smoothness makes this so utterly drinkable, although it still has gritty, chalky qualities. It’s delicious, if intense. Really bitter, really woody. A tad too extreme but delicious.