overall
Style: German Hefeweizen
Bayreuth, Germany
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 978   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Traditional weissbier made according to the old Bavarian style with the unmistakable character of the fine cellar yeast.

Jeronimus99 (35) - Moscow, RUSSIA - SEP 7, 2001
One of absolutely the best beer on this terrestrial beeer ball!

Murph06 (121) - Illinois, USA - AUG 3, 2001
I like a beer that’s bottle conditioned--’flaschengarung’.

canary dog (766) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - JUL 3, 2001
I had this years ago, before I was actually into wheat beers. I remember liking it. A good, rich wheat beer.

delacerveza (166) - Florida, USA - JUN 15, 2001
my first experience with a wheat style beer was spanish peak’s black dog wheat ale. my second experience was maisels weisse. what a difference! this is one terrific brew. set the standard for me, anyway. love it.

billb (245) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JUN 7, 2001
A damn fine German wheat. Description says ’unmistakable character of fine cellar yeast’ and I’ll wholeheartedly agree. The yeast adds so much character to this brew. This was my favorite German beer for the longest time.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 6, 2001
Excellent yeast aroma with a symphony of fruity esters. I craved this beer more with every sip. This beer is extremely pleasant on the palate. Ever so slightly sour in the finish, just the way I love it. What a great beer!

Frog King99 (51) - L.A., California, USA - OCT 11, 2000

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 4, 2000
UPDATED: JUL 29, 2004 The beer separates from the 355ml brown bottle a beclouded amber with a generous white head that is spumous in texture and as it fades away, the lace forms a tight skirt to surround the glass. Nose has a nice hint of yeast, over ripe bananas and a it has a crisp freshness, start is sweet with a nice grain profile, top is light to medium in feel. Finish is pleasantly acidic, the hops personable in their spiciness, desert dry and long lasting aftertaste, a fine beer for a hot Arizona day.