RATINGS: 294   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Note: Per the owner, this beer is no longer being brewed while they search for a new contract brewer.

Brewed for the Pizza Beer Company

Unfiltered American Ale Brewed With Basil, Oregano, Tomato and Garlic. Truly the World’s First Culinary Beer Designed to Taste Great on It’s Own and Even Better With Food (Especially Pizza) The Beer is Truly Unique In That It Also Makes a Tremendous Ingredient in All Types of Foods. Chef Tom & Mamma Mia Have Developed Several Cooking Videos on Display at www.pizzabeer.net

BeerDeltaBravo (53) - Oregon, USA - JUN 19, 2012
Pours a magnificent chestnut with almost no head. A tiny bit of lacing. Excellent oregano and tomato scent, with just a hint of baking soda and hops. Brilliant pizzeria taste, laced with a touch of pepperoni and shoe leather. Elegant mouthfeel and delicate finish.

pastradul (43) - California, USA - JUL 10, 2011
Picked up a bottle of this for a bottle share. Pretty intersting... it is exactly what you would expect... pours a light orangeish with minimal head. the smell is tomatoes, basil & mozzarella. taste is more of the same. The funny part is that the cheese flavor shanges a bit as the temp of the beer rises. When the beer is cold the cheese tastes like cold cheese. When the beer warms it tastes as though the cheese has been melted a bit. This is a beer everyone should try at least once!

gws57 (1276) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - FEB 19, 2008
Found this one bottled at Binny’s in St. Charles, Illinois. Bottle says that this was brewed by Sprechers. Cloudy, dark orange pour with a rapidly dissipating white head. Oregano and sweet malts in the nose, and a bit of garlic, permeates strongly throughout. This is very good; I don’t know if I could drink a ton of this but I’d like to try with some Chicago style pie.

ben4321 (6678) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JAN 22, 2013
Location: 16 oz bottle from Buy Rite, 1/22/13

Aroma: The nose is pretty much exactly what I should have been expecting, there’s a clear marinara sauce/tomato aroma, with some notes of oregano, garlic, pepper, and some bready malts
Appearance: It pours a a hazy golden-orange color with a small, fizzy white head and minimal lace
Flavor: The oregano comes out a bit more, but otherwise, it is basically the same as the nose
Palate: The body is light-medium, it is not at all watery, has a tingly feel, and a spicy finish
Overall Impression: First off, I’m going to be way high on this one compared to the rest of Ratebeer Nation. I’m always up for a good gimmick, and this one was a good gimmick. Look, if you tell me I’m getting a pizza beer, that’s fine, but I better damn well get a pizza beer. Seriously, this is truly unique. Call me crazy, but I really like what they did here. I could see lots of interesting cooking uses for this one. As far as Pizza quality goes, it’s no Benny Tudino’s, but I’d rather drink this beer then eat Little Caesars any day of the week. (Also, I finished the entire bottle without ever really feeling that regret you get from drinking more then a sampling of some of the other gimmick beers out there.)

docswife (27) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - JUN 17, 2008
I picked up a bottle of this in Evansville In just for kicks. Ordered a big pizza and tried this with the husband. I didn’t expect it to be so darn good!! Pours yellow and crisp with small white head. The aroma is all pizza, yeast, oregano, basil, garlic and tomato. Very light body and crisp. I will be picking up more of this!!

andyhwcinc (1884) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 18, 2010
This isn’t the first time I’ve had this beer, but it’s the first time I’ve tried it with a significant food. You’d probably guess pizza, but actually I had this with some Black Bean Morningstar burgers with salsa on it. This beer compliments the meal perfectly. Aroma wise, there’s malt in there and the oregano / spices are very pronounced. Tomato not so much. Appearance wise, this looks like a Belgian ale as it’s a rich gold but not great head retention. Taste wise, the tomato is apparent but it has a nice soft bitter finish, along with the spice backing. This isn’t something I would buy often, but for a once in a while beer its taste outlasts the kitsch this beer can carry.

JPDIPSO (6262) - Wauwatosa, USA - FEB 27, 2008
Hazy dark hefe colored brew. Modest diminishing off-white head, that settles to a thin lid. Italian spice and light tomato aromas. Luckily this is not the bad tomato scent, rather a garlic tomato paste nose. A most intriguing aroma, this really does smell like a simple cheese pizza. Oregano dominates the flavors, with some tomato paste in the background. Garlic and light basil swim in in out. This is a pizza beer, I’m not sure I would want it with my pizza though. A light garlic linger. I have to say I enjoy this for what it is. I could see adding this to many things, from chili, marinara, to pizza sauce. Just thought of another idea, how about for boiling italian sausage? A truly unique and workable brew.

Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 4, 2008
Poursa cloudy pale yellow color with a medium frothy white head. Aroma is garlic, oregano, pizza sauce, basil, and hints of citrus hops. Taste is about the same but it is very balanced. The spices define the beer, not the other way around like other beers of this style. Thinking about this beer one would imagine something thick and a mess, but it’s not. My favorite of this style thus far.

Sudennorthstar (17) - Michigan, USA - JUL 31, 2009
I had only heard legends of this beer from friends, so when I went to Chicago recently I had to find it and at least try it. I went in thinking either I would love it or be unable to finish a bottle. As it turns out, it was the former. This isn’t a beer you would drink regularly but as a novelty drink it’s great. It doesn’t taste like you have a mouthful of pizza, but you taste the garlic, the tomato and definitely the oregano. Afterward, you’ll have burp that tastes like you downed half a pie. I recommend at least trying it. You won’t hate it, but if you don’t like it you’ll just ask, as a friend said: "Why can’t I have beer flavored beer?"

SudsMcDuff (8468) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JUN 18, 2010
Excited to try this, wish i had a pizza to go with it.. . smell is of oregano, tomato, and garlic with a touch of hay .. . tastes like pizza.. . a bit thin but it’s interesting and wacky, i really like it!! .. .I shouldn’t be here. I’m not supposed to be within two hundred feet of a school... or a Chuck E. Cheese.