overall
Marston’s
Brewed at Thomas Hardy Burtonwood (Molson Coors)

Style: Mild Ale
Burton-on-Trent, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 172   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.78/5   EST. CALORIES: 84   ABV: 2.8%
Available filtered and pasteurised in bottles and cans.
Previously brewed by Burtonwood for Ushers (Refresh UK).
Manns Brown Ale has been brewed in Britain since 1902, originally by Thomas Wells Thorpe who was the head brewer of Manns in London. He envisaged the opportunity to move away from IPA and brown stout and create a new beer, claimed to be "the sweetest beer in London". Brewed to the original Manns recipe, this 2.8% ABV ale is now brewed by Thomas Hardy at Burtonwood, it remains the most widely distributed brand of the original style of sweet, low gravity brown ale.

Beerbaron42 (49) - Hampshire, ENGLAND - DEC 25, 2013
Dark and weak, but this beer has a gentle sweet taste with a smooth palette, making it a nice session beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

BlackHaddock (7346) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - SEP 3, 2013
Yet another British beer I’ve somehow forgotten to write about. 500ml bottle: BBD 31 May 2014, poured into an Abbot Ale glass tankard at home on 3 Sep 2013. Looked fine, a deep full head of tanned foam on top of a dark brown body with a ruby tint. The head turned into a wisp and collar mid-tasting, no lacing on my glass. The nose is sweet malty molasses, caramel being the main aroma I picked up. The taste is also on the malt molasses side of sweet, again with caramel to the fore, joined now though with some chocolate, coffee and vanilla notes. Considering this is only 2.8% ABV it carries a fair flavoursome punch, obviously a bit thin body wise but still an easy and pleasant mild/brown to have at lunchtime, which is when I had it. Glad I realised I hadn’t reviewed this beer and made the effort to buy another bottle after a few years without trying it.

Grzesiek79 (4297) - Radom, POLAND - JUN 28, 2013
Nawet dobre Ale. Mild ja bym tego nie klasyfikowal no moze ze wzgledu na niski alkohol. Bardziej w smaku zblizone do Brown Ale. Karmelowe nuty slodowe bombarduja wrecz podniebienie, piana srednia lekko opalizujaca. Posmak karmelowego slodu na dlugo pozostaje w ustach.

allmyvinyl (10613) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JUN 9, 2013
Bottle shared at home - cheers Steven! Pours a dark brown with thin tan head. Aroma is roasted coffee and chocolate. Very sweet, no hop presence. Good body for the strength. Sweet finish. I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would!

stevoj (5040) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 6, 2013
I’ll go with the flow on this, as I am completely unfamiliar with the style, and being mild, perhaps the palate is supposed to be light. Taste is very "roasty", oaken bitterness, burnt toast, some cola sweetness, but overall light in mouthfeel and aftertaste. Aroma is also very light and appearance is dark brown with minimal head. Intersting drink, would like to try another brand to compare notes.

Dommod2011 (706) - Birmingham, West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAY 8, 2013
I have mild enthusiasm for this beer, the crushing defeat on the cards and the related chances of a top four finish. I have greater enthusiasm for nomeansno, macaroni cheese and the next beer I’m having.

Vaiz (4460) - Den Haag, NETHERLANDS - APR 23, 2013
Bottle at home. Brown pour, tan head. Aroma of caramel, butter, some licorice, slightly roasty and some English hops. Flavor is sweet creamy caramel with butter. Thin watery body. Out of balance and too mild for my taste.

The_Bish (1123) - West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAR 25, 2013
I’m now winning 8-1 in a game that only I’m playing. Think I’m on to a winner. This isn’t too bad at all. Not even a waft of alcohol, some coffee and choc but it is all a little sweet and each flavour is only very mild. I guess that makes sense.

ManVsBeer (10467) - Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, ENGLAND - MAR 8, 2013
Inoffensive older style ale, very mild in character with a small sweetness and some small roasted malts for its flavour. Very dark with no head and a very light character making it very easy to sup.

danlo (3067) - Darlington, Durham, ENGLAND - FEB 10, 2013
500ml bottle. Pours a dark ruby brown-black, with a foamy tan head that diminishes and a malty aroma. Taste is sweet malt & cola-like, with a roasted, nutty edge. Smooth light body, medium carbonation level with a dryish finish. OK considerating the low alcohol level.