overall
Formerly brewed at Marble
Style: Saison
Manchester, England
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 22   MEAN: 3.73/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This is a collaboration from James Kemp, formerly of Fullers, Thornbridge and Buxton.

Oakes (17642) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 22, 2014
Dark brown. Thick head. Citrusy, woody hop and light chocolatey malt. Sweet palate with milk chocolate and honeyish hop syrup notes. I’d say not enough bitterness to reign in the sweetness.

anders37 (26605) - Malmö, SWEDEN - OCT 21, 2013
Draft @ Craft Beer Co, Islington N1. Pours a dark brown color with a small tan head. Has a roasted malty weak piney hoppy licorice aroma. Roasted malty hoppy caramel flavor. Has a roasted malty hoppy bitter finish.

McNeillR (2315) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - SEP 21, 2013
Darkest red, a glint away from being brown body. Decent dissapating beige head. Firm Bisto infused yeasty nose. Softly full flavoured initial taste, stabs of passion fruit meaty wine sauce middle. Towering carbonation and oily.mouthfeel. Finish slightly bittered, linger slightly nutty. Really tidy.

Keg, Marble Arch

Garrold (5265) - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, ENGLAND - AUG 25, 2013
Tap at Sheffield Tap. Very dark, reddy brown. Thin but lasting off white head. Initial aroma is dark berry fruit which soon gives way to a roast coffee bean smokiness? Quite astringent, as you’d expect, then a long, bitter roasty finish.

DanielBrown (4502) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - AUG 24, 2013
Keg at Birmingham Beer Bash. This was given the big build up and was worthy of it. Full of masculine flavour. It’s taken a few weeks to deal with the emotions of BBB, but I’m getting there now, and hence am clearing my BBB backlog. This was another (yet another) delicious UK keg beer which I loved at BBB. I loved BBB.

john_henry (124) - - AUG 18, 2013
Simply awesome. Just remembered this beer fondly after drinking a massively overrated comparative beer style. Seriously, one of the best beers I’ve drank, I don’t know what more I could ask for in a beer.

TimE (5808) - Tokyo, JAPAN - AUG 9, 2013
dark brown color. Pillowy off white head. The nose was almost non-existent. Not very impressive. Mouth is slightly astringent with roastiness and some hop character, but I felt the hops used held back the beer as they were sharp, aggressive enough. Overall a somewhat muddled Black IPA. Not in unenjoyable, but pales in comparison to many great black IPAs

The_Bish (1123) - West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUL 30, 2013
Emancipation please. We’re giving emancipation out on tap today sir. No, I didn’t get the joke either. Had a spread of flavours that my palate tried to discern by couldn’t. Pepe Nero comes to mind. Dom’s mind that is. Dark saison, worked drank plenty. Some nuttiness? Probably.

ladnewton (1961) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 29, 2013
On keg tap at CBC, London on 24th May 2013. Ink black with creamy buff foam. Rich cheesy, malty and nutty aroma. The in-mouth experience is exquisite. Hazel and walnut nuttiness, rich burnt malts, coffee and bitter chocolate. Finish is all of these things, with a building bitterness, tangy citrus and a savoury bready note. Seriously one of the best beers I have drunk in a very long time.

Dommod2011 (706) - Birmingham, West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUL 27, 2013
Keg at BBB. Grainy. Nobody really knew what it meant but we all knew how to use the word. Like a Pepe Nero. I told many people this. Dark and lovely.