overall

Bottle: Pasteurised

LED40's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
LED40 (121) - Aberdeen, - DEC 27, 2012
A decent chocolate porter but nothing exceptional. Mild grain, caramel and chocolate smell with chestnut appearance - not as dark as most porter’s I’ve had. The taste is quite bitter at the start which then rounds off with roasted malt and milk choclate at the back end. A thin and dry mouthfeel which actually masks the 6% abv very well. Probably best to have with a rich pudding.

Scol (16) - Chisinau, MOLDOVA - NOV 6, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2017 Quite strange beer. Doesn't look as a porter at all, more like a bock or smth like that. Ruby color, nice foam, hint of vanilla in aroma and taste. Taste seems to be too artificial, alcohol in aftertaste. Very strange overall

hatsan (2) - Wirral, Cheshire, ENGLAND - NOV 4, 2017 does not count
I couldn't detect any chocolate taste or aroma. A nice light flavour, malty, nice aftertaste but nothing special

Davros IX (500) - Hertford, Hertfordshire, ENGLAND - OCT 16, 2017
An odd beer. It definitely didn’t look like a porter in the tankard and I would say it was more akin to an ESB. The taste was dominated by the sweet chocolate which I could be pushed into saying was a tad artificial. It reminded me of the Batemans Mocha and that was a long way from being one of my favourites. I drank this for the sake of it and overall it wasn't, in my opinion, very good. It was just too sweet!

Mishnok (403) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - FEB 10, 2017
Bought this on a whim from my local M & S. I soon began to realise why I don't usually buy beers brewed for supermarkets. The body is a bit odd for s Porter. Transparent and nut brown with a bit of head fading to lacing. The aroma is of chocolate. It tastes of milky chocolate, but it's all a bit artificial, a bit like someone has laced a nut brown ale with chocolate essence. Not great. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

kajser27 (2046) - Zagreb, CROATIA - FEB 7, 2017
Dark brown to black colored, medium- tan creamy head, OK lacing. Aroma is of chocolate flavoring, dark choco, some roasted notes, bit nutty. Taste is medium sweet chocolate, caramel, bit dark chocolate, some nutty notes, but mostly chocolate flavoring, medium-light bitterness, sweetish finish. Medium bodied, soft+ carbonation, bit creamy. I know it’s flavoring, but not bad.

Gangstergafje (1275) - Capelle aan den IJssel, NETHERLANDS - DEC 28, 2016
The beer looks good. It’s a little light for my taste, but it’s al within the limits of the style. The beer has a light ruby red color. The beer is quite clear. It looks good. On top of the beer a nice layer of soft slightly off white foam is poured. The bulk of the foam collapses quickly, but a nice creamy drape remains on top of the beer. The smell of the beer is good. I smell nice mild toasty aroma’s, containing a nice roastiness. There is a delicious bitter and slightly sweet chocolate aroma. It’s a real chocolate smell, really clear. Maybe it’s artificially added, because it’s a tiny bit to strong. It’s a bit to present to be natural, but I like it. There are also some sweet, non-roasted malt aroma’s, containing rather sweet aroma’s. The taste is a bit less, a bit weak. I taste some rather sweet bready malty flavours, some liquorice and no hops. It’s not to great. It’s to watery. The palate is average. The mouthfeel is medium; carbonation is medium-high. The beer is a bit dry, especially the finish. There is better beer.

markoijelena (3149) - Belgrade / Amsterdam, SERBIA - DEC 14, 2016
Bottle 0.5l from Marks and Spencer Amsterdam, The Netherlands. 14.12.2016. Pour it clear dark brown color with small white head. Aroma roasted malt. Taste pretty much watery, some bitter parts in the middle, roasted malt, pinch of caramel and sourish kick at the end, light sweetness, lightly bitter, lightly sour, light body, thin feel, average carbonation.

caribou43 (1193) - Lausanne/Sevilla/Lima, SWITZERLAND - AUG 16, 2016
I bought this bottle during one of my trip in Paris, in a Mark and spencer, supermarket. I was disappointing with this product and it is not a real chocolate porter. First the body is brown and transparent, it is not a color of porter. After the taste is in the mouth bad and boring. There is a bad mix between bitterness and chocolate aroma but it is not well balanced. I did not finish this beer.

mabuzzer (909) - Hamilton, SCOTLAND - JUL 6, 2016
500ml bottle. Clear, dark brown, but not as dark as I’d expect of a porter. Aroma is sweet synthetic chocolate. Taste is... odd. Like a bitter with added chocolate syrup. Not good

WaddlingPlatypus (186) - Durham, ENGLAND - JUN 16, 2016
500ml bottle. Dark brown and transparent, with a thin white head. Aroma of roasted malt and chocolate. Carbonated, somewhat lacking in chocolate flavour; dominated by aspirin bitterness. Odd overtones of glass and cap rubber.