overall
Brewed by Marston’s
Style: English Strong Ale
Burton-on-Trent, England

RATINGS: 216   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3/5   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
Cask; Occasional. Mainly a bottled beer.
"Owd Rodger, brewed to a recipe believed to be over 500 years old, is Marston’s award winning 7.6% strong ale. Brewed using malted barley, whole leaf English aroma hops and well water, Owd Rodger offers an explosion of rich fruit flavours with a dry bitter-sweet finish."
From 2014 the bottled beer reduced to 7.4% from 7.6% ABV.

jduck1979 (10) - Whitby, North Yorkshire, ENGLAND - OCT 5, 2013
Looked alright, smelled alright, tasted alright..... but wouldn’t recommend consuming on a regular basis, especially if you’re a bit of a lightweight / not used to drinking as this stuff is evil (but in a good way) as one bottle’s enough to get you feeling pished, and pretty rough.

BalkanMac (37) - Belgrade, - SEP 11, 2013
500ml bottle in Bow, London. Dark, cola coloured, no head retained. Aroma of liquorice primarily, and dried fruit. Flavour sourish cola at first, then developing to big, warm sweet malt, dried fruit, alcohol pepper. Aftertaste slightly sticky, fig syrup, burntness. A decent drop, though not my favourite at this strength.

RichTheVillan (8027) - Birmingham, West Midlands, ENGLAND - SEP 6, 2013
Bottle from B&M Bargains; mahogany brown pour with velvety beige head, sweet stewed fruit aroma, quite sweet fruity taste, malts, a hint of grass, caramel, bitter finish, ABV present. Not bad.

Shaney (2423) - Köln / Cologne, GERMANY - AUG 23, 2013
Dunkelbraunes Bier mit wenig Schaum. Ausschließliches Blockmalzaroma. Süßer, sehr süßer, ja geradezu klebriger Malzgeschmack mittlerer Würze. Wo bleibt da der Hopfen als Gegenpart? Nicht gut!

ReV2 (178) - Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - AUG 17, 2013
Pours a deep reddish mahogany colour, lifeless and thin for a beer of this strength. Now 7.4% and a shadow of its former self. Once a superb barley wine, now a beer tasting of alcohol, some hops and burnt toffee. Purchased from B&M Bargains at a discount price, understandably.

krodger (1) - London, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 6, 2013 does not count
I bought a couple bottles of this stuff on a trip to England based purely on the name. I figured that with a name like that (same as my last name, with the spelling intact), it had to be good, right? I invited my dad and two brother over to give it a try. I have to say it was probably one of the worst beers I have ever tasted, and it took great effort on all of our part just to finish the one bottle! We all found it to be very "syrupy" and not at all what we were expecting. That being said, I would like to try it again. Maybe I got a bum bottle. Plus that was about 20 years ago. Maybe tastes have changed. I guess I will have to wait until my next trip to England.

DylansDad (652) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 17, 2013
Initial aroma is strong sweet fruity alcohol, like day-old dregs in a port bottle. Thankfully, this dissipates quickly, leaving sweet malt, raisins, Xmas cake, bread. First sips taste overly alcoholic, but it calms a bit as it warms. Overall, a well-made beer and drinkable but too sweet for me to want another.

MichaelAwesome (6546) - Wanne-Eickel, GERMANY - JUN 11, 2013
Not a bad one but in the end it like a malt syrup with lots of sweetness, sugar and a decent end. Drinkable, warm but I would consider it a bit too thick.

McTapps (6941) - Reutlingen, GERMANY - JUN 11, 2013
Clear dark ruby colour with low head and medium body. Nose of malt and smoked nuts. Taste of strong pure malt, torf, vanilla, woods, leaves, nuts, roast and licorice. Due to its high alcohol content and its heavy maltness it is not that easy to drink. Maybe it’s not even THAT nice, but at least it is special.

zvikar (6263) - Ramat Gan, ISRAEL - APR 20, 2013
Bottle sample at a tasting at DSG’s place. Thanks kerenmk. Pours brown clear with a beige head, aroma of bread, chocolate and toffee, flavor of caramel, malt liquor, sweet, light bodied