overall
RATINGS: 22   MEAN: 3.45/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29/5   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
A perfect balance of caramel and chocolate malts with Cascade hops makes this dark brown beer surprisingly smooth and easy drinking.

maxwelldeux (4374) - Snohomish, Washington, USA - DEC 8, 2012
Draught. Pours an almost black color with a moderate tan head. Nose and taste are both very roasty and with a lot of coffee notes. For something with such strong coffee in there, it’s very smooth. I really enjoyed this porter.

wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - AUG 15, 2002
Nice foamy head with good retention. Very sweet. Good balance of maltiness. Not very bitter, but that’s ok for a porter. It was served with a straw and a pretzel. I think the place I bought it at thought the beer was a stout, because they asked me if I could taste the coffee. I said "no, but I can sure taste a lot of chocolate."

UNCCTF (584) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - NOV 9, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2003 On tap at Good Fellows Bar in Chapel Hill. Pure chocolate! Aroma was of chocolate and caramel, with a little bit of smokiness thrown in there. My only complaint is that there is very little hop balance, but a good porter nonetheless.

Megan (101) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 9, 2005
This was a great beer. Had at Beer Fest 05, and I think whenever (ifever) I go to Fayetteville, we’ll have to stop here. Very fruity. I tasted their IPA Ravishing Red first and then the girl added this to it. Nice addition.

Braudog (6716) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - APR 24, 2007
Draft pint at the brewpub; the nice poofy head settled relatively quickly. Tight roasty aroma. Well rounded roasty flavors, too ... bit of smoke and a bit of sweet-bitter clash of the titans going on. Very good and best I had today. (#2807, 4/21/2007)

mike5326 (1754) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - MAY 25, 2010
Nice dark brown look. It lacks in the aroma department. But It has a Great roasted taste. Almost a coffee quality.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 23, 2004
Straight-up brown hue, light, letting in reddish tinges, creating a caramelly tone, and it sits ’neath a lush, creamy, cocoa head of foam. Aroma is nice and nutty, some chocolate notes, and espresso hits, though a bit too cola-ish, too, for my preference. Smooth on the palate, very slick and easy, but that’s no fault, if I wouldn’t like it a little thicker and richer. As it is...a more potent Brown Ale, perhaps...but need a bit more to the kind of Porter I like...well, it just occured to me what "Brown Porter" may mean to suggest...yeah, it’s sweet, and nutty...all in all, like a smoother porter, or a thicker brown ale...I got no problem with that. Gots Newcastle all beat, at least...frankly, I like it, for what it is.

Prometheus (160) - Bamberg, Bavaria, GERMANY - JUN 13, 2009
Dark brown with decent head. Really good chocolate, malt coffee flavor. Very nice finish. Really good, will definitely have to try again.

beernovice39 (3270) - Idaho, USA - SEP 21, 2012
On tap. Brown pour with a thin tan top. Scent is roasted malts with caramel and chocolate notes. Taste is caramel and chocolate with a nice bitter finish.

NachlamSie (3483) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 30, 2007
draught. Pours very dark brown with a fair tan head. The nose is slightly hoppy and ashy with traces of coffee. I found the mouthfeel to be much less malty and heavy than their stout with plenty of bright, sparkling notes for a porter. Interesting mesh of U.S. hops and U.K.-type malt flavor. A bit of nutty, coffee flavor is found. This is interesting, but a tad thinner than I’d like a porter to be.