overall
Brewed by Matilda Bay Brewing Co. (CUB)
Style: German Hefeweizen
Port Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 151   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%

Jade (435) - AUSTRALIA - APR 17, 2010
Clear golden colour with minimal carbonation. Starts with a fluffy white head but that vanishes almost immediately. Strong aroma of wheat. Thick, almost sweet flavour. With a pleasant aftertaste.

hawthorne00 (3951) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - APR 6, 2010
Pale gold, white head. Smells of wheat, flowers and weeds. Taste is much the same with some quite subtle malt sweetness and touches of citrus and metal. Decent thirst-quencher. I remember when this was a revelation, but there you go.

bmeup (679) - Ormeau, AUSTRALIA - MAR 1, 2010
Fist taste in about 1985. Think beers in Queensland at that time. It was cloudy, yellow straw coloured with a thick Cumulous head [appearance always first] and a sensational summer Whitbier. Can’t do the whole roasty, toasty, grassy, doughy bubblegum bit. Probably one of the first boutique beers in Oz and sadly missed. This rating is for the ’New’ original.

Beershine (5224) - VANCOUVER, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 28, 2010
Bottle. Disappointingly clear, golden, small white head. Estery yeast aroma has banana, is pretty boring. Very soft palate. Nice and quaffable and clean. Basically a crystal weizen (the bottle was just labeled wheat--glad they’re calling it what it is), bland boring flavors but something that can be had for refreshment.

davidm (2080) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - NOV 6, 2009
Tap. Not too bad. Wheat, grass, and apple in the nose. Flavour is sweet, with lingering bitterness. Thin and watery mouthfeel. Yellow colour, bubbly, frothy white head that disappears.

Dervock (1347) - AUSTRALIA - SEP 8, 2009
Bottle - Hadn’t had a Redback in years and what I got was not how I remembered it! pours a very light straw colour witha small tight white head. Yeasty floral aroma, slightly citric. Initial flavour is wheat up front , then a hint of banana, before the dry floral yeast and hop finish. As I mentioned not how I remembered it, this was better!

NoiZe (2323) - Zeist, NETHERLANDS - JUN 21, 2009
Had this one during my holiday in Australia april/may 2009. Golden colored brew. Floral aroma. Lemon, citric, wheat, refreshing.

mickmac (486) - Ngunnawal, AUSTRALIA - JUN 12, 2009
Bottle. Pours with a small frothy white head and a clear straw coloured body. Aroma is driven by the yeast-being abalance between the usual wheat beer characteristics of banana and clove. A nice fizzy mouthfeel and a refreshingly acidic finish.

frankcolub (88) - Ashbury, AUSTRALIA - APR 26, 2009
Bottled. Pale golden colour, not much head. Aroma is of wheat and bitter hops . Flavour is malts, wheat and hops .. Aftertaste is wheaty and fruity. Not the typical German Hefeweizen....but not bad.

scotty (1208) - SCOTLAND - MAR 6, 2009
Oddbins sold this when I worked for them a while back, it was one of the many products that acquired cult status among the staff. At that time I was a fussy Camra member and I liked to think I was quite particular about the beers I drank (I even liked some lagers, but they had to be GOOD lagers) I thought this was great stuff, although it has to be said that I didn’t have much experience of wheat beers then, but that shouldn’t be the point! I’ve given it average scores as it was before my ratebeer days but I’ve given it 15 as i thought it was so bloody good! Just wish I could find it again in, or around, Edinburgh.